Author Topic: Irma  (Read 455 times)

boog

Irma
« on: September 08, 2017, 12:36:04 AM »
Please get out of her path if you're in her way. If you need a place to stay and you can make it to NC, PM me and let me know.

Be safe, everyone. Our governor has declared a state of emergency already, but we certainly won't be battered like the Caribbean and Florida has been/will be.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Delirium

• Helper
Re: Irma
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 08:10:54 AM »
Everyone's freaking out because it's coming to Atlanta but it'll be a tropical depression by then.

I mean, that's a fuckload of rain and thunder and lightning, but... we're gonna be fine.
"Our whole lives are just stories." - Vikings

I get wherever I'm going, I get whatever I need
while my blood's still flowing and my heart still beats

Malken

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 08:35:17 AM »
Everyone's freaking out because it's coming to Atlanta but it'll be a tropical depression by then.

I mean, that's a fuckload of rain and thunder and lightning, but... we're gonna be fine.

In my experience, random fuckloads of rain and thunder and lightning is typical weather for TN-Georgia during that time of the year anyway ;p
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

Riev

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 09:14:17 AM »
Rain, Georgia can handle. The pictures and videos I got from a friend who was in Georgia when they got a half inch of snow? (Obviously, its not like they have plows and storage options)

Especially when we're both from New Hampshire, and had to go to school during the '98 Ice Storm that left 3ft icicles hanging from telephone wires. "Eh, the kids'll be fine."
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

boog

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 09:17:19 AM »
Weird.

Nobody can drive in the rain here. They go 15 miles under the speed limit and drive with their lights off, lololol.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Hauwke

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 09:38:18 AM »
Whenever it rains where I live, it really rains.

This one time, after just a standard day of rain, the place we were living in was flooded and we got storage boxes out and made them into boats.

Being a child was the best.

Refugee

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 10:19:39 AM »
Be safe everyone!

Miradus

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 10:41:11 AM »

This one time, after just a standard day of rain, the place we were living in was flooded and we got storage boxes out and made them into boats.

When I was a young one, there was a major flood in the town where my father lived. I happened to be staying with him that summer.

The town was built on a creek and the creek flowed up its banks and about half the town was underwater. There were cars on rooftops where they'd floated in the floodwaters and then got stuck.

There were hills through the town which weren't underwater and me and my friends walked around town watching all the goings on with amazement. Firefighters rescuing very fat ladies from rooftops in boats, or cattle swimming down main street.

The small zoo was located in the floodwaters and a lot of the animals drowned. I remember watching as the fire department sent a boat in to try and rescue a bunch of monkeys trapped in a cage. The water was almost up to the top and about 30 monkeys were clinging to the bars. A fireman got out of the boat on top of the cage and used a chainsaw to cut open a big hole in the top. At which point about 30 frightened monkeys came swarming out and all tried to climb on top of his head. Watching a swarm of monkeys try to climb over this fireman and get in their little bass boat is one of my most odd memories from my childhood.

Grapes

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 02:20:05 PM »
Alright, who boiled a baby goat in its mother's milk? Fess up.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Refugee

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 02:37:38 PM »
Alright, who boiled a baby goat in its mother's milk? Fess up.
Heh...
 ;)

Hauwke

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 05:13:49 PM »

When I was a young one, there was a major flood in the town where my father lived. I happened to be staying with him that summer.

The town was built on a creek and the creek flowed up its banks and about half the town was underwater. There were cars on rooftops where they'd floated in the floodwaters and then got stuck.

There were hills through the town which weren't underwater and me and my friends walked around town watching all the goings on with amazement. Firefighters rescuing very fat ladies from rooftops in boats, or cattle swimming down main street.

The small zoo was located in the floodwaters and a lot of the animals drowned. I remember watching as the fire department sent a boat in to try and rescue a bunch of monkeys trapped in a cage. The water was almost up to the top and about 30 monkeys were clinging to the bars. A fireman got out of the boat on top of the cage and used a chainsaw to cut open a big hole in the top. At which point about 30 frightened monkeys came swarming out and all tried to climb on top of his head. Watching a swarm of monkeys try to climb over this fireman and get in their little bass boat is one of my most odd memories from my childhood.

My flooding wasnt quite like that most of the time. My city is built on the largest river in Australia, and there is this pole on the riverside, that has markings for when its flooded big time, the highest one is probably a good me and a half high, easily.

But usually we just wind up with the streets flooding for a day or two, before it all flows downhill to the river which is nice.

Refugee

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 05:28:05 PM »
When I was a kid we lived on Buck Creek, which would have a massive flood every few years.  Once I took my pole and went fishing after the creek went down and saw a cow's body caught by its horns up in a tree about 30' high. 

I remember my Uncle Joe hooking his mule to a jon boat and taking people back and forth across about a 500' wide place where the branch had overrun the gravel road along his farm, so they could meet someone to take them to work. 

Grapes

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 05:52:03 PM »
I'm considering including a high-powered water-gun and bottles of dish detergent for my apocalypse survival kit, after seeing floating ant colonies. Being utterly covered with a swarm of angry fire ants is not the most pleasant feeling in the world.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Melkor

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 05:45:05 PM »
The highways going north are packed. Every hotel is full. There is no more gas; I just sold a full 5 gallon can for 100 bucks.

I have 3 weeks of perishables, 2 weeks of non-perishables. Gasoline, Propane, Charcoal, Batteries, Tarps. 10 gallons bulk drinking water, not including 3 cases of bottles. 100+ cans of soda; my company gave everyone cases of water and soda on friday. I've plenty of beer, wine, rum for the days to come.

Should be a good time. My only concern is falling trees. 

Right now I'm cooking off perishables like milk.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 08:12:49 PM »
Be safe dude. Check in when you can.
"Our whole lives are just stories." - Vikings

I get wherever I'm going, I get whatever I need
while my blood's still flowing and my heart still beats

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 04:26:18 PM »
I was just reading about Barbuda being wiped out.  I can't remember, I think it's Barbados, but we had a player from the Caribbean.  Has anyone heard from Kassindra?  I hope everyone affected is well.  Please let us know if you need help!
Where it will go

Lizzie

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2017, 05:46:11 PM »
I was just reading about Barbuda being wiped out.  I can't remember, I think it's Barbados, but we had a player from the Caribbean.  Has anyone heard from Kassindra?  I hope everyone affected is well.  Please let us know if you need help!

She was in Barbados. which was spared the worst of the hurricane. There's currently a tropical storm watch for Maria there now though.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Melkor

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2017, 08:13:07 PM »
So, for my area in north florida...
I just got my electricity back, otherwise no damage for my patch of woods.  Many are still without power.
In town, tons of trees went down on top of poles, some roads were flooded until yesterday. The next town over's sewer system overflowed and the whole town is on a mandatory water boil.
It blew over easily. The coasts were hit much harder.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.