Author Topic: Sandy Wastes - Skirmish Wargaming in a Desert World  (Read 275 times)

Rathustra

• Administrator
Sandy Wastes - Skirmish Wargaming in a Desert World
« on: September 01, 2017, 04:55:04 PM »
For a few months now, on and off I’ve been developing a set of wargame skirmish rules - rules that let you fight out small-scale (perhaps a dozen models per side) battles in the world of Armageddon.

The ruleset’s work in progress name is ‘Sandy Wastes’. While not entirely ‘quick play’, I have tried to make the rules straight-foward, operating on a small core of basic mechanics, used in creative ways to create a tactical combat game.

Currently the first draft of rules for mundane combat have been finished. This includes rules for melee combat, ranged weaponry and stealth. A small collection of example ‘traits’ (unit special rules) have been devised and a few dozen example unit profiles sketched out for play testing.

My end goal is to support a variety of factions and more exotic features such as magick and psionicism. Customization is another aim, with the dream to be to introduce ways for players to build warbands that fit the theme of Zalanthas while providing a variety of ways to play.

I’d like to invite the Armageddon playerbase to join me in the first few games of Sandy Wastes so I can get a feel for how the game plays and what holes I’ve left in the rules or cases I’ve not considered.

I’ll be using Roll20 (a tabletop simulator) to run demo games of Sandy Wastes for interested parties. If you’re interest, please reply here or contact me via discord so we can arrange a time.

Here are some screenshots of some very early games and maps prepared for the demo games:

A detachment of militia soldiers prepare to repel attacking raiders.

A ridge-top camp, ready for sacking.

For those interested in more details about how the game plays:

Sandy Wastes Features:
~ A simple but flexible core resolution mechanism: The core mechanic is scoring ‘hits’ - rolling over a number (default 4+) on a dice (default 1d6). The flexibilty is in that the dice rolled to score a hit varies and is adjusted by favourable or unfavourable conditions, depending on the action. So while an elf may have to score a hit on a 1d4 to deal damage with their strength, a dwarf has to do the same on a 1d8!

~ A strategic system of action and reaction: Players in Sandy Wastes take turns having portions of their warband perform actions - or prepare reactions to respond the actions of their opponent. A carefully prepared ambush can be overcome by a clever strategy and play is rarely out of either player’s hands for long.

~ Uncomplicated unit profiles and statistics: Units in Sandy Wastes have strength, endurance, wisdom and agility which act in a similar way to how they do in Armageddon. All stats are given in dice - for example, a human’s strength is ‘1d6’. Weapons and armour are similarly statted - giving what dice they contribute to damage or defense. Units are given variety through ‘traits’ - small adjustments to their stats in particular actions.

Kialae

• Publicity Coordinator
Re: Sandy Wastes - Skirmish Wargaming in a Desert World
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 08:14:11 PM »
I've helped Rath beta test it a little and I'm a big fan. It's very fun.

azuriolinist

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 08:57:38 PM »
This looks awesome. I'd put in my interest if I didn't mainly use a phone.

evilcabbage

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 10:32:59 PM »
can we see a mekillot? do you have one drawn up for that yet?
I could give a shit about wholesome.

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 12:26:15 AM »
Looks fun.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Rathustra

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 06:29:04 AM »
can we see a mekillot? do you have one drawn up for that yet?

I've actually not drawn anything up! The tokens are all sourced from roll20's library of generic assets. You can upload your own tokens and scenery though - so if you've got the knack for it you could draw your own mek and get it into the game.

Currently I've not put anything to paper about wild animals, mounts or monsters. My thinking is they'll work using a basic flowchart of options - depending on what kind of beastie (predator, prey, etc.) they are.

Thanks for everyone who has helped test the game so far! It's been helpful and has thrown up some things to fix - most notably adjusting the probabilities for various actions a bit as currently it is a little hard to actually hit, harm or kill anything!

I'm going to put together v0.003 of the rules ready for more testing - interested parties can hit me up on discord.

Molten Heart

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 12:02:39 PM »
Looks interesting.

evilcabbage

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 08:34:20 PM »
is this going to be used by people to simulate tuluki/allanaki engagements in the field?
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Jihelu

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 08:35:40 PM »
is this going to be used by people to simulate tuluki/allanaki engagements in the field?

I'm going to assume no seeing as this is in 'non arm discussion'.

Also how do I erp in this
Shade, profits, and George Bush did 9/11

Rathustra

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 05:42:40 AM »

Nope! This project has nothing to do with Armageddon, in the sense that it isn't affiliated with the MUD beyond the setting. I'm developing it as a side project. That said, Tuluki Legions and the Arm of the Dragon are going to be two of the 'main' factions I'll be developing units and missions for.

Also how do I erp in this