Author Topic: Harvey  (Read 336 times)

Refugee

Harvey
« on: August 25, 2017, 02:02:28 PM »
Good luck Texas.  You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Strongheart

Re: Harvey
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »
Stay safe, Texas. I have family there too, let's hope you all turn out fine!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:09:17 PM by Strongheart »
Die gedanken sind frei.

manipura

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 05:09:41 PM »
Thanks, friends.  :-*
So far just some rain but the worst is yet to come, most definitely.

manipura

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 12:43:43 PM »
Weather Channel is telling me that there's one day (the 3rd) between now and September 6th that is expected to only have a small chance of a bit of rain.
The last 24 hours have seen record rainfall and record flood stages which has resulted in things like:

and

Should be an interesting few days.

Refugee

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 12:54:22 PM »

My Guard friend posted this on his FB feed, that's a wow moment.

lordcooper

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 01:16:30 PM »
The umbrella feels a little pointless tbh.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Miradus

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 01:17:30 PM »

Maybe it's to protect his cellphone from the rain. Both of those schmucks clearly felt the need to go record their adventure live.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 02:45:34 PM »
My cousin sat on her goofy ass until this morning before deciding to evacuate. She called me and asked to borrow $100. If she didn't have her daughters I would have just laughed at her but I am a soft touch.

Her house looks like a total loss.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Bogre

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 10:11:05 PM »
Thankfully, my family is OK and still with power, food, and no water in their houses yet. The majority of friends and medical school classmates have weathered it pretty well, too, though some dealing with water. Still, there's a lot of damage and displaced families amongst Houston residents.

Some ways to aid relief efforts:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/ways-can-help-people-hurricane-harvey/

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/28/hurricane-harvey-relief-efforts-how-help/
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

manipura

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 11:26:00 PM »

Maybe it's to protect his cellphone from the rain. Both of those schmucks clearly felt the need to go record their adventure live.

I assumed the two schmucks had their phones in their hands because their usual phone-spot (pants pockets) are submerged in flood water.  If I was wading through waist-deep water and my phone was my way of letting people know I was okay, or I was going to a shelter or something, I wouldn't stick it in a pocket either.

Thankfully, my family is OK and still with power, food, and no water in their houses yet. The majority of friends and medical school classmates have weathered it pretty well, too, though some dealing with water. Still, there's a lot of damage and displaced families amongst Houston residents.

Some ways to aid relief efforts:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/ways-can-help-people-hurricane-harvey/

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/28/hurricane-harvey-relief-efforts-how-help/

Glad to hear your family is okay.  They are expecting the worst of the flooding (how have the hardest-hit parts of the city not seen the worst yet...) to be Wednesday and Thursday, hopefully your family keeps on staying safe and dry until the end of all this.

Cind

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 06:45:24 AM »
Part of my extended family used to live in Corpus Christi until a little while ago. I'm praying for you and your families.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

Miradus

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 08:46:47 AM »

http://news.trust.org/item/20170829011010-bhep6

Check out that picture in the article.

Over the next few days they're expecting the total rainfall to exceed 50 inches. The city already lays pretty low to the ocean and half of it is built in swamp. My family in Waco says the Brazos crested the banks yesterday, which means all the water flow that dumped all over the region is going to dump out into the ocean right there at Houston.

This situation is most likely going to get way worse.

When Rita hit Galveston, my family there evacuated for a couple of weeks. When they got back, they said the trees were full of dead dogs and cats that drowned and washed up to get hung in the branches. The water was one big oil and sewage slick from everything that had overflowed. It wasn't just clean rainwater. People are still getting sick from their exposure to it. Some of them abandoned their homes there permanently and moved to Alabama.

I don't know that much can be done about this sort of flooding. Everyone can't all go live in Aspen.

Miradus

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 11:10:34 AM »

Gas stations are going to start their increases in the next few days. I recommend filling up your tanks and keeping them that way as long as the prices remain low.

By law they can only increase prices a certain amount in a 24 hour period, but they'll push that max each day until you suddenly look up and it's $6 a gallon.

Harvey has shut down several of the nation's main refineries and they may not open back up for months.

FamousAmos

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 11:43:00 AM »
$6/gallon? Wish it was as cheap up here.

Miradus

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 11:44:17 AM »

I live where gasoline COMES FROM and it's $2.08 a gallon, same price as in Dallas, I think.

But it's going to skyrocket soon.