Author Topic: Halflife 3 is dead  (Read 582 times)

Riev

Re: Halflife 3 is dead
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 10:47:11 AM »
I mean, its not surprising to me, but still... I feel empty. That doesn't explain anything, or help me feel at peace with his story.

I guess when you're making them Steam-Sale bucks.... :(
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 02:29:51 PM »
Oh yeah, that game that was kinda relevant ten years ago, I remember that.

Seriously though I haven't expected anything from Valve for so many years this just doesn't really effect me. The story was never anything special enough for me to care.

evilcabbage

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 08:18:11 PM »
Oh yeah, that game that was kinda relevant ten years ago, I remember that.

Seriously though I haven't expected anything from Valve for so many years this just doesn't really effect me. The story was never anything special enough for me to care.

rise and shine, mister gunslinger

rise

and

shine....

not that i am implying that you have been sleeping on the job...

i think we all knew that half life three would never actually happen.
I could give a shit about wholesome.

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 12:49:41 PM »
One of the top comments in that reddit thread made me laugh and laugh.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Half-Life the Third?  I thought not. It's not a story Valve would tell you. It's a PC gaming legend. Half-Life was a first person shooter, so popular and so profitable it could use its engine to influence the modders to create new games... It had such a fanbase that it could even keep other titles they cared about from dying. The profitability was a pathway to many hat-based abilities some consider to be unnatural. It became so powerful... the only thing it was afraid of was delivering a mediocre final chapter, which eventually, of course, it didn't. Unfortunately, it taught its creator Valve everything about making money, then its creator killed it in development. It's ironic it could save others from being vaporware, but not itself.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

evilcabbage

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 06:07:50 AM »
that.

is.

genius.

if nobody gets the quote.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis, was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful, and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create... life. He had such a knowledge of the Dark Side, he could even keep the ones he cared about... from dying. The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful, the only thing he was afraid of was... losing his power, which, eventually of course he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. Ironic. He could save others from death, but not himself. 
I could give a shit about wholesome.

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 12:29:54 AM »
I didn't catch that, thanks for the clarification.  GG.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Ordo

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 02:40:49 PM »
There have been promises for a both a movie in the Half-Life/Portal universe as well as another game.  Half-Life 3 is dead, but the franchise may not be completely done.  I would expect that once Valve's VR plans either succeed or fail, we will see something new.

Melkor

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 03:55:38 PM »
Fuck.... I have to call my brother...

Thanks, Mansa. I didn't even look at this thread when I first saw the title. I thought it was just a continuation of the meme. "Haha they're never going to make it because it wont live up to the legacy of revolutionizing gaming/ it's not worth it to Valve to invest the time and money."

Well. this sucks ass. I tend to be stubborn, so part of me denies that this is legitimate; part of me is also glad that I have at least -something- that can tie off Gordon's storyline once and for all... but its still shit. My reaction is kinda silly, because I don't even game anymore. Shrug.

Thanks, Mansa, for posting this. I wouldn't have seen it otherwise.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Grapes

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 06:04:44 PM »
I doubt anyone will ever forget having an epic gun-battle with a giant fetus.

EDIT: To clarify, I never really played it. I glanced at it while a friend was playing it and though, oh, just another FPS, I like those, but there's a lot of them. And late one night, a friend called me over, passed me a bottle of whiskey, said, drink half of this, then watch THIS!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 06:10:52 PM by Grapes »
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Hauwke

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 06:55:12 PM »
Half-life is one of those games I have been meaning to get and play for awhile now, but never quite get the chance to grab it.

Is it really as good as everyone makes it out to be and just howmuch am I missing?

Grapes

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 10:25:36 PM »
Um, Halflife built Valve into the monster it is today, so I'd say it's worth a try.

EDIT: I have many fond memories of a half-life mod called "Counter Strike" over LAN.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 10:29:42 PM by Grapes »
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Veselka

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 12:37:39 AM »
Half-life is one of those games I have been meaning to get and play for awhile now, but never quite get the chance to grab it.

Is it really as good as everyone makes it out to be and just howmuch am I missing?

The story is pretty great. Great thrills, great chills. Spooky, fun, mysterious, even with dated graphics. Half-life 2 was a beast too, very fun for a FPS, can't think of one better than it really.

Melkor

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 03:30:07 AM »
I first played half-life when I was about 8 or 9 years old. The game was developed by a company in my childhood hometown of Oakhurst, California, their location a little ways down the mountain from me, down 426. My family got this new massive state-of-the-art computer, and a few games with it, including Battlezone (a favorite of mine. Fighting commies in space :P).

Going into it, I thought HL was going to be exactly like Duke Nukem 3d for the N64 which I loved, but it turned out to be much more. The characters in the game were so fleshed out (for the time), and the plot was so much more rich than any other FPS made before. Duke Nukem 3d's monsters were made to look scary, but it was just a shootemup, where you played a muscle-bound action hero. In HL, you were a scientist with a fucking crowbar, and scary ass monsters were coming from another dimension. It spooked me in a great way. Without spoiling anything, the ending blew me away.

the years between were filled with Diablo, Diablo 2, Urban Terror, Counter Strike, Halo, etc. Lots of Lan Parties at a cool gaming shop in south florida.

Flash forward to late middle-school, out of nowhere, doing christmas shopping, I saw Half-Life 2 on the shelf at Target. Mind blown. Called my brothers over. We were fucking psyched. We each took turns playing through, which was annoying and stressful, but, alas, there was only 1 computer in the household that could handle the game. The graphics were incredible, I kept comparing them to final fantasy or myst, but they were much better. The true value of the game, aside from the incredible plot, was the physics. Weight, balance, buoyancy, and puzzles which were based around these new features were like nothing we had ever seen (seeing a trend, here?). Half-Life was always so innovative and exciting, every step of the way.

This is why people so desperately want half-life 3 to happen. There was speculation, years back, that with the dawn of affordable VR, HL3 would use this new technology in amazing new ways to show the world new ways to game. If it ever happens, it will revolutionize gaming, for the 3rd time.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 03:37:54 AM by Melkor »

Grapes

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 05:32:31 AM »
Yeah but... isn't it better if HL 3 never happens, if they know they're about to take a gigantic dump on a thing people care about?

Melkor

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 11:05:03 AM »
unless they sack up and do something revolutionary again. Thats not too much to ask, is it? lol.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 04:57:07 PM »
They'll probably just continue to print money with Steam. They've made way more as a publishing and distribution service than as a gamemaking studio.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 01:11:07 PM »
The real legacy of half-life IMO is the engine and how many other great games/mods that spawned off it.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!