Hunt!

Started by Kankfly, August 11, 2017, 11:05:13 AM

I feel hunt sometimes gives a bit too little information. Wouldn't it be cool if you can:

>hunt
Someone has butchered a carcass less than a day/a few days/etc ago.

(Yes, I think i suggested that in another thread but thought I'd start a new thread anyway.)

Or, depending on the level of your skill, you can:

>hide tracks
>You start to cover up your tracks...
>You dust sand over your tracks and cover them up.

Or maybe even:

>disguise tracks (direction)

Then someone else with the hunt skill can (once again depending on the level of their skill):

>hunt
>You notice a mild disturbance on the ground.

>uncover tracks
>You pause to take a closer look at the tracks.

Or how about:

>hunt
>Something appears to be recently buried here.

Is this hard to implement? Thoughts? Ideas? Flames?
I ruin immershunz.

I think it would require more information being saved to the room info, which may or may not be an easy sweeping change.

So far as the new commands, I like where you're going with them. A skilled hunter would probably know how to cover their tracks, BUT hunt usually comes off a skill, or goes into a skill, that kind of accomplishes the same thing. It takes a skilled hunter to notice another skilled hunter trying not to be tracked.

I think hunt being the new Search would be great, a la:

Something seems to have been recently buried here
or
Something about the <keyword> seems out of place
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I don't think it gives enough info quickly enough.

If someone just rode across a bunch of sand on a day without wind, I should be able to follow the trail without stopping every room to use the skill.

A 'track' skill branched from hunt would be neat. Once you see tracks from hunt you can 'track' them, seeing the same tracks in adjacent rooms based on skill and allowing you to follow your prey faster because you don't have to dismount and hunt so often.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Quote from: roughneck on August 11, 2017, 11:41:54 AM

If someone just rode across a bunch of sand on a day without wind, I should be able to follow the trail without stopping every room to use the skill.

Hunt needs buffs, not nerfs. It's also dumb that a group has to send someone ahead just to read tracks, just because there's a finite number of tracks that can be in a room. You should have a chance to see all tracks that haven't timed out (or been deliberately obscured), IMO.

Quote from: TheGoose on August 11, 2017, 02:06:10 PM
Quote from: roughneck on August 11, 2017, 11:41:54 AM

Hunt needs buffs, not nerfs. It's also dumb that a group has to send someone ahead just to read tracks, just because there's a finite number of tracks that can be in a room. You should have a chance to see all tracks that haven't timed out (or been deliberately obscured), IMO.

I feel like this would go along with the "Track" ability. Hunt can tell you that something is out of place. Footsteps in the sand, maybe a hidden door in the rock wall that juts out a bit, blood droplets on a nearby leaf. Track would be taking that one instance, and trying to follow. So hunt would give a numbered list of tracks, and if you track "long.stride" you can auto-hunt in the next room and get a message of whether you kept the trail, or need to re-hunt.

I don't know how it'd work codedly, but it'd make more sense than trying to hunt someone down who can move faster. If a tembo can do it, I can do it!

Hunt is powerful, hunt is strong. Imms can usually answer what  sort of attack killed a dude with a request,for you budding film noir fans out there!

Quote from: Inks on August 11, 2017, 02:19:57 PM
Hunt is powerful, hunt is strong. Imms can usually answer what  sort of attack killed a dude with a request,for you budding film noir fans out there!

No offense to the staff, but I'd rather not have to rely on a request that on average takes 4-7 days to get answered, to find out how someone died. Especially if its something I could do, codedly.

Quote from: Inks on August 11, 2017, 02:19:57 PM

Given the delay on hunt versus the delay on movement, tracking is pretty useless unless you're looking for a corpse or a plot object that isn't entirely bent on escape.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

August 11, 2017, 03:37:43 PM #10 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:22:26 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I would have hunt lock on targets so you automatically followed a track when you entered into the next room.

So here's my thoughts.

1. I think more forensic-style echoes would be super awesome for Clue: Armageddon Edition.

2. I think that the current hunt dynamic works just fine in a cat-and-mouse chase in the wilds, and I'd be reserved to make it /easier/ for someone hunting you to catch you.  Currently, you have to use hunt in combination with your knowledge of the landscape to catch someone who is avoiding you.  If hunt were made easier or quicker, I think it would tip too much in favor of the hunter over the hunted.  That's my opinion at least, and it's arguable. 

3. I wouldn't mind not having to hop off my mount each time, however.

4. Eliminate the 4-track limit.  The room is a league by a league; hene four Bynners aren't going to 'cover up' the tracks of the hunted.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: Delirium on August 11, 2017, 11:56:30 AM
https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,52265.0.html

Oh wow! This is neat. Great minds think alike. ;)

I love the 'track' idea, and how it branches off from hunt. I think the idea isn't to buff hunt, but to elaborate on it. I'm not really sure how you can fix someone just spam riding/running/etc 100+ rooms away by the time you're tracking him down, but maybe with the 'track' skill, it'll be much easier to catch up to that someone. Which leads to the 'disguise' and/or 'cover' tracks ideas.
I ruin immershunz.

I'd love to see the number of tracks (tracks, battle, charge, trample, forage, etc.) be large, and the fading be dynamic based on environmental factors and type.

E.g. walking tracks fade in 2 hours in a sandstorm, running tracks in 3, but they don't fade at all indoors, and only very slowly on a calm night.

"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Morrolan on August 12, 2017, 02:14:06 AM
I'd love to see the number of tracks (tracks, battle, charge, trample, forage, etc.) be large, and the fading be dynamic based on environmental factors and type.

E.g. walking tracks fade in 2 hours in a sandstorm, running tracks in 3, but they don't fade at all indoors, and only very slowly on a calm night.

a++

Quote from: Miradus on August 11, 2017, 03:39:16 PM
I would have hunt lock on targets so you automatically followed a track when you entered into the next room.

This, Tracking someone takes so long now, if track was triggered like scan does, for HIGH level rangers scan, you see tracks going blah blah blah, you make tracking easier for the follower than the runner. The runner doesn't need to know where they are going they already do know what direction they are running.
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

August 12, 2017, 07:29:47 PM #17 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:22:11 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I like the idea...It would be cool to implement some expanded options to hunt as well as the track ability.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on August 12, 2017, 09:56:58 PM
I like the idea...It would be cool to implement some expanded options to hunt as well as the track ability.

Similar to forage?
Hunt Human
Hunt Giant
Hunt Clawed
Hunt Dwarf
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Hunt is already super gamey and way more effective than would be realistic in most circumstances, in my opinion.  I'd be okay with a few additional features to add some miscellaneous information, but not anything that would make tracking faster.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Morrolan on August 12, 2017, 02:14:06 AM

I would like a new walking speed, called "backwards" where I take a massive hit to movement speed, but my tracks are reversed.

Most of the problems with hunt stem from the size of the gameworld.

You want to track down someone and kill him? He's 20 rooms from safety in almost any direction on a mount which can normally go 30 rooms before being exhausted.

When you couple that with the limitation of having to dismount and manually track in each room, plus the efficacy of even the master hunt skill at deducing whose tracks are whose when everyone rides a beetle ... you're not going to track someone down who knows you are coming unless they want you to or they made a serious misstep.

August 14, 2017, 03:24:16 PM #24 Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:28:44 PM by Kryos
Quote from: Miradus on August 14, 2017, 01:25:20 PM

Most of the problems with hunt stem from the size of the gameworld.

You want to track down someone and kill him? He's 20 rooms from safety in almost any direction on a mount which can normally go 30 rooms before being exhausted.

When you couple that with the limitation of having to dismount and manually track in each room, plus the efficacy of even the master hunt skill at deducing whose tracks are whose when everyone rides a beetle ... you're not going to track someone down who knows you are coming unless they want you to or they made a serious misstep.

I disagree entirely here.  In more than one instance, I've had characters use hunt to track down one of mine literally from Tuluk to Allank and somewhere in the city.  Delf and not, before extended sub guilds and after.  Through sandstorms, and using various means to try and throw off someone.  Hunt is insanely powerful.  So much so, that some of the most powerful guilds(at least pre changes) have abilities designed to thwart it due to the fact it turns you into a homing missile.  Against someone with hunt, you can run, but you cannot hide.