Author Topic: Broken heart/GoFundMe campaign  (Read 345 times)

Raptor_Dan

Broken heart/GoFundMe campaign
« on: August 07, 2017, 06:23:47 PM »
I know Aniah/Amanda/BreathlessandBroken still has some friends on this board, but I don't know how to get in touch with them separately. She's had a 'major heart attack', and we're in a really tight spot right now. If you're inclined to help, or know someone who is, please pass this link along: https://www.gofundme.com/ysfuu-amandas-medical-fund

Thank you.
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Miradus

Re: Broken heart/GoFundMe campaign
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 07:19:40 PM »

Sorry to hear that, man. What's her status now?

Lizzie

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 07:45:43 AM »
You might consider the other place she used to frequent on the web and post a request there as well.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Riev

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 09:15:10 AM »
A heartattack? It sounds like its been a good number over time, and the biggest problem she's facing is that there's too much scar tissue and they can't run a bypass.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
A heartattack? It sounds like its been a good number over time, and the biggest problem she's facing is that there's too much scar tissue and they can't run a bypass.

A "bypass" is a vein graft that connects two arteries to bypass a blocked segment of whatever coronary artery is affected.  The process of doing a coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) has nothing (directly) to do with aortic valve anatomy (except as ejection fraction affects cardiac output, which affects suitability for surgery, etc. etc.).

However, he already said that a plaque in an artery isn't the problem.  The problem is the valve, in which case an aortic valve replacement would ultimately be the surgical solution.  I'm guessing we're talking about some sort of aortic stenosis, so the "heart attack" could've been the result of a couple of things (broadly):  1) some sort of something embolized from the stenotic valve and found its way into a coronary artery (which is like a 1-in-a-million shot...statistically speaking, a systemic embolus would end up somewhere distant in the body where it would go unnoticed, except maybe some temporary pain, unless it ended up in the brain, where it would cause stroke-like symptoms); or 2) the stenosis is so severe that the fraction of cardiac output going to the coronary arteries was not enough to keep up with myocardial oxygen demand, so myocardium started dying off.  As that former myocardium scars over, cardiac output continues to decrease, which exacerbates the problem.

The other explanation (the wording of the gofundme text is somewhat ambiguous) is that she's had numerous heart attacks from some other unstated cause, and that the aortic valve has become stenotic due to that, along with myocardial scarring.  Not having any particular information regarding what this cause might be, I'm leaning toward #2, above.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Riev

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 12:28:32 PM »
So, in the case of #2, as the myocardium scars over, is there anything to be done about it? Is that what the Gofundme is asking for, is costs related to treatment?
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 12:43:11 PM »
So, in the case of #2, as the myocardium scars over, is there anything to be done about it? Is that what the Gofundme is asking for, is costs related to treatment?

Once myocardium is gone, it's gone.

From the sound of it, aortic valve replacement is not an option.

I'm guessing that the gofundme money would be used as a short-term bridge to cover living expenses during the time gap between now and whenever disability benefits kick in.  I seriously doubt any significant portion of the medical costs will ever be paid.  The hospital will collect whatever it can from insurance or the government, then write off the rest and pass the loss on to other customers.  (This isn't a particular criticism of the current parties involved--this is just how American healthcare works.)
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.