Keeping it IC when possible

Started by The Lonely Hunter, August 03, 2017, 10:52:02 PM

If you were gone a week or so and the sergeant gets mad because you ic excuse "I was on gate because the Lieutenant said so" I assume the sarge is going to understand that kind of means "Oh he was doing something irl"

Clan forums also have a "Absence board" as well for this certain thing and I've seen and like when people mentioned 'what they are doing', if it pertains to the clan.

Quote from: Miradus on September 01, 2017, 09:53:06 AM
ooc Gone pee break. Sorry. I have a severe bladder infection that runs in my family. My great aunt died from it. She had a dog named Lucinda and we had to take care of it, so I have to make sure I pee regularly or I could get worse and then someone would have to take care of my dog.

Two things,
First: Thats just snarky and horrible to say.
Secons: Ive never seen anything near that complicated, Ive once done: Gone, the kids are being butts. But thats about it.

i think it was meant more as a joke.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

I honestly think it's a dumb thing to spend time worrying about unless someone is OOCing all over the place about making babies and giving out their phone number. Sometimes I have to pee, I use gone and I usually type "gone with your mom" when I do. If you have any objections, take them up with your parents.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

I've been unfortunately chastised for completely OOC things, in game, before. I didn't really think it was worth sending a player complaint over. But I basically tried to give an IC excuse why I was somewhere I shouldn't have been after hours (because the game crashed), and it blew up in my face. I should have simply OOC'd that the game had crashed, and I had logged back in later rather than right after the game came back up.

Now I try to be explicit when it's an OOC reason I have to go, rather than an IC one. It just seems way too blurry/messy to rely on other players to play along with your IC excuses and understand that it is actually an OOC one?

IC Excuse = IC Explaination
OOC Excuse = OOC Explanation

Short and simple seems to work the best. 
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on September 02, 2017, 06:32:19 PM

... can I sig this?
Quote from: Is Friday

Quote from: Grapes on September 02, 2017, 06:46:22 PM

... can I sig this?
Of course.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Veselka on September 02, 2017, 11:36:28 AM
I've been unfortunately chastised for completely OOC things, in game, before. I didn't really think it was worth sending a player complaint over. But I basically tried to give an IC excuse why I was somewhere I shouldn't have been after hours (because the game crashed), and it blew up in my face. I should have simply OOC'd that the game had crashed, and I had logged back in later rather than right after the game came back up.

Now I try to be explicit when it's an OOC reason I have to go, rather than an IC one. It just seems way too blurry/messy to rely on other players to play along with your IC excuses and understand that it is actually an OOC one?

Sometimes this can happen. I'm sorry it happened to you. I remember years ago, when a noble wanted a serious talk with me but I really had to go, so my IC excuse was I'm too tired. She said, no, sit down. I went OOC to tell her that I really had to go, and everything was fine after. The 'no, sit down' was retconned and she dismissed my PC.

I think situations like this when the other player didn't get that there is an OOC factor going on in you having to log off, then clarifying it OOC should be ok. If the other PC takes your OOC-can't-be-here ICly, then that PC is an asshole, which promotes more conflict in the game. Yay! :D
I ruin immershunz.

September 04, 2017, 12:50:50 AM #85 Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 12:54:43 AM by Nao

When I tell somone ICly  that I can never seem to find them, I don't mean "Play more, asshole", I mean "My playtimes are way off peak, and don't seem to overlap with yours much".  :-\
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: Kankfly on September 04, 2017, 12:18:27 AM
Quote from: Veselka on September 02, 2017, 11:36:28 AM

Sometimes this can happen. I'm sorry it happened to you. I remember years ago, when a noble wanted a serious talk with me but I really had to go, so my IC excuse was I'm too tired. She said, no, sit down. I went OOC to tell her that I really had to go, and everything was fine after. The 'no, sit down' was retconned and she dismissed my PC.

I think situations like this when the other player didn't get that there is an OOC factor going on in you having to log off, then clarifying it OOC should be ok. If the other PC takes your OOC-can't-be-here ICly, then that PC is an asshole, which promotes more conflict in the game. Yay! :D

I have to agree with both of these posts.
And I think this should be the rule:
"IC Excuse = IC Explanation
OOC Excuse = OOC Explanation"

Honestly, I'm not sure I trust the player-base to get that 'gate duty' or a 'sick relative' are cues for "I had to go OOC".
"I survived because the fire inside me burned brighter than the fire around me."

"gate duty" is WIDELY accepted as "ooc i have to go" in any crew with gates and guards.

September 04, 2017, 08:21:35 AM #88 Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:23:19 AM by Lizzie
I've used all kinds of IC excuses to log out. Here's some that worked:

• Gate duty
  • The Lieutenant asked me to help teach another unit with (x) skill for the next few days.
  • I'm covering for Amos over in the other unit for the next few days.
  • I ate something really bad, I need to shit/puke and recover. Will be a few days.
  • Your Lady Cousin Talia has tasked me with helping to train her new Whatsit.
  • I promised to make five dozen arrows for the Master Agent's other hunting crew.

What (sadly) didn't work:
I'm going home, mom needs me.

Why it didn't work: People believed my PC's mom was another PC. I ended up having to go OOC to explain that she didn't exist codedly and that was what I'd be telling them when I needed to log out. It was very awkward.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

If I was a HG my go to excuse as an unclanned would be Gate duty, in which case my HG virtually stands at the gate of allanak and does nothing all day cause that's what people do!

I'm also quite a fan of "I have mind boggling diarrhea I have to leave"

While I can't say for certain, do keep in mind I've seen some leaders do 'virtual punishments' that made IC sense when 'virtual duties' made you miss something that was supposedly required.

It doesn't punish the player.  But it does reflect the character not being there.  I've seen people flip out over that as well, even if it's the other side of the same coin.

Sooo...no, you should never be -punished- for RL taking precedence.  But don't jump...to conclusions...about how unjust some punishments are, either.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I remember me and one other dude were riding around and rode onto a pair of other people. Then SOMEHOW, I dont know how, I've ended up <kill dude> and had like 3-4 rounds of combat.
Then disengaged and I spent like 10 seconds trying to figure out how the heck do I explain the typo.

Eventually went, OOC I dont even know how to ICly explain wtf just happened. Sorry. Typoed.

Continued on seamlessly. Truth be said, I've never really experienced people taking realities of IRL demands in any variation of pissy ways.

virtual punishments seems fine, like:  before you go to sleep, you're gonna help sergeant whatshisfuck training his runners.

that seems totally fine. that implies that, when you log off, you're actually going to go do that!

Virtual punishments seem confusing. Who decides the circumstances where a virtual punishment would be justified? We all lead busy lives, and it would be unfortunate to log in after posting in an absence thread that you have some RL stuff going on, and then your Boss informs you of the virtual punishment that happened to your PC while you were not playing the game. That seems rather...Odd.

Just as someone could be virtually non present while the PC isn't in the game, couldn't that same PC be present (a background character) during contracts, or on missions, or just around the compound? From my understanding, virtual means not significant, as in they don't make significant actions either way to affect their surroundings.

--Immanuel Kant

virtually present on a contract? no.

because then you would have virtual risk of death.

Doesn't everyone have a virtual risk of death, as in real life?

--Immanuel Kant

unless you quit in a public, easy to access room when the soldiers are chasing you? you can't 'virtually' die.

but if you go on virtual contracts, then you'd have to be willing to accept a chance that your character might -die- on that virtual contract.

Quote from: Veselka on September 06, 2017, 07:25:13 PM
Doesn't everyone have a virtual risk of death, as in real life?

Codedly, only in super-rare likely staff-assistance instances.

If I could lose my PC to a virtual mugging, while I was logged off watching American Horror Story? I would find where Saikun's House is, find the toaster he programmed to run this damn game, and do violent things to it.

Likewise, if you're in the Byn, you are not "virtually" on the contract. If they all died on that contract, you would be dead too, without your coded abilities influencing the fight, nor your PCs decisions on whether to fight or flee. It simply does not happen.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

September 06, 2017, 08:34:28 PM #98 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:06:03 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on September 06, 2017, 08:34:28 PM
I like the idea of virtual punishment for things like not attending something because they can't log in, for things that a player is in violation due to inaction of not logging in. It maintains continuity and immersion for others who are close but unaffected and the player effected isn't adversely effected because of their OOC real life circumstances.

It would sort of piss me off. It encourages the 'reward people who play the game 24/7' mentality that sort of drives me insane.

--Immanuel Kant