Author Topic: Your Outlook on the World  (Read 1484 times)

James de Monet

Your Outlook on the World
« on: August 03, 2017, 05:09:54 PM »
If you had to choose one image to serve as a visual representation of your outlook on life, the world, or yourself, what image would it be?  Post it!  (Or describe it if you've never found one that fits you.)

If the concept isn't clear, I guess another way to phrase this would be: If someone could see through your mind's eye, what would the world look like to them?
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Malken

Re: Your Outlook on the World
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 05:17:04 PM »
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

James de Monet

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 05:34:28 PM »
Heh. Is that a serious answer?
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Refugee

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 05:49:08 PM »

ExtraPlanar

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 05:56:23 PM »

Veselka

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 06:14:57 PM »

Jarvis

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 06:27:53 PM »
The man puts his tongued, grotesque, translucent groin rig on over his eyes.

James de Monet

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 07:37:05 PM »

EP, I'm not familiar with this cartoon.  What about it resonates with you?  The carefree attitude?  Whimsy?  Something about the character itself?  The song?

Riev

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 08:05:57 PM »
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Sayyadina

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 08:08:12 PM »
“No more should you doubt this, my prince – my sisters and I shall not wait ten-and-seven years for our vengeance.”

--Lady Nymeria Sand, A Feast for Crows

Pale Horse

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 11:15:40 PM »
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Hauwke

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 12:37:10 AM »
I dont have a picture for my current outlook, however if I did it would be a picture of me watching a guy flip-out and flip a table in rage.

Everything has turned upside-down but you know what? Its actually going to be okay!

boog

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 01:54:44 AM »
I'm going to bomb this later with drag queens gifs.

But as an intro:

(Actually I prefer the mountains but that's okay.)
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Melkor

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 03:19:46 AM »
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 06:17:20 AM »

Tried to find the best representation of viewing the world through a computer, as I pretty much spend most my time jacked into the internet, absorbing what I can.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 06:19:00 AM »
Do you all really view the world as burning, falling, chaotic? Or are you just trying to be funny?

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 08:03:41 AM »
Do you all really view the world as burning, falling, chaotic? Or are you just trying to be funny?

I don't. I think the world is a much better place than it was 500+ years ago.

That said, I prefer to watch world from a safe distance, through a window in my comfortable little snail's shell. Not because the world is a bad place, but because what's normal for you is often uncomfortable for me. Like, talking on the phone. Or on Skype. Valeria knows I'd rather write in Skype chat than actually talk xD

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 08:07:25 AM by Akaramu »

Miradus

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 09:06:52 AM »
I'm kind of like that, but more like this ...

I like being social and going go the coffee shop and hanging out with people, for a short bit, and only if the conversation doesn't touch on anything personal. I much prefer just doing my own thing and being around people who aren't going to bother me about doing my own thing.

I much prefer just doing digital things, puttering around my garden, and hanging out with the family as opposed to trying to work and deal with strangers out in the world.

Refugee

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 09:10:32 AM »
I see us backsliding.  But that happens now and then and we correct it.

When I was a kid it was a given that we would blow ourselves up.  The youth all believed that down to our silly toes.   People who could built bomb shelters.  There were drills in a lot of schools for nuclear attacks (but not my school).  There was a movie or two every year about the nuclear apocalypse.  Kind of like the zombies now lol.  We talked about it a lot.  It was an excuse for doing what you felt like.  Nobody thought we'd live to get old.  Holy cow, nobody thought the Berlin Wall would come down or the Soviet Union would break up.  Nobody.  We were going to kill each other and there wasn't any other option. Nearly 60,000 of my peers died in Vietnam.  I have no idea how many Vietnamese or other peoples died.  The government at any time could scoop you up and make you go.  It was not a volunteer army like we have now.  I joined in '77 and almost everyone I served with that was older had been drafted.

There were riots so bad that tanks were sent into the cities.  It was not unusual to hear about the National Guard being sent in to cities because of rioting.  There were lots and lots of riots and huge marches, it seems to me.  My father-in-law was a LA City firefighter, and they couldn't go put out fires in certain parts of the city sometimes because they would get shot.  He would tear up and his voice would break when he would talk of those days, taking fire while trying to help people, having to turn back.  Oh, and that Miranda Rule that protects your rights when you're being dealt with by the police?  We didn't always have that.  I remember TV shows teaching us about it when it was new.

There was going to be a global ice age too, because of pollution.  That one was pushed really hard on us and we bought into it and believed it.  There weren't littering laws, and the accepted thing to do with the tin soda can or the glass soda bottle was to throw it out the car window when you were done.  The ditches along the road were lined with trash all across America.  The littering laws came in when I was a kid and people were not happy about it.  Factories dumped waste at will into waterways and lands and people were just starting to figure out that might not be a good thing and do something about it.  The land is so much cleaner now.  The air is so much cleaner now.  Water too.

There weren't seat belt laws, or motorcycle helmet laws, and kids rode loose in the car without car seats because Mom could put an arm across you and hold you in place if there was a wreck, of course.  I remember riding in the car, standing in the front seat between my parents, going down the highway, probably over 70mph.  That 55mph law really pissed people off when that came in.

You have microwave ovens, and artificial hearts, and personal computers, and cell phones that can talk to anyone on the planet.  Lots of people survive cancer.  There're replacement hips and knees.  Cars have air conditioners and power steering and anti-lock brakes.  There's a vaccination for chicken pox, for Christ's sake.  Chicken pox.  I had mumps and chicken pox and more than one type of measles and kids just don't have to go through that anymore.  Parents don't have to lose their whole year's worth of vacation to stay home with their kid for a bout of chicken pox.

I think things have gotten worse recently than they were, say 10 years ago.  I don't know if that's true or it's just the inevitable grumpy old fart syndrome settling in with me.  I've turned into my grandparents lol!  But I remember back and it seems to me that things are so much better than they used to be, in a quality of life sort of way, in what you can expect for your future.  All my memories and views are from a U.S.-centric point of view, because we didn't have anywhere near the access to other places like you do now, there wasn't an internet.  I really only knew what was going on with us.

Molten Heart

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 09:17:36 AM »

The closest I could find to something matching my view of the world. It's black and white only because I couldn't find something better in color.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:42:10 AM by Molten Heart »

Riev

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2017, 09:28:01 AM »

Only my personal world. In less than a year, I'll have my Master's Degree, and I'll have run out of excuses. Life is going to have to start, I'm going to have to become a real person. I'm not ready, I don't know my place in the world, and the world seems to be changing in big shifts, more often.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Refugee

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 10:15:20 AM »

Only my personal world. In less than a year, I'll have my Master's Degree, and I'll have run out of excuses. Life is going to have to start, I'm going to have to become a real person. I'm not ready, I don't know my place in the world, and the world seems to be changing in big shifts, more often.

It seems that way mostly because you're learning about the world in big chunks.  Be comforted because most of us felt the same way as you. 

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »

James de Monet

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 03:01:01 PM »
I enjoyed reading your perspective, Refugee.

Molten Heart, is that picture sort of a disaster chic, "We make the apocalypse look good" sort of thing, or more of a making the most of a bad situation thing, or...?

ExtraPlanar

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2017, 03:02:19 PM »

EP, I'm not familiar with this cartoon.  What about it resonates with you?  The carefree attitude?  Whimsy?  Something about the character itself?  The song?
Its the carefree attitude and playful obliviousness to the negative connotations of bein a garbage boy.

Molten Heart

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2017, 03:04:52 PM »
Molten Heart, is that picture sort of a disaster chic, "We make the apocalypse look good" sort of thing, or more of a making the most of a bad situation thing, or...?

It's more of a, "We put on our best faces while seemingly ignoring the broken world around us."

boog

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2017, 05:18:39 PM »

Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

ExtraPlanar

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2017, 05:40:49 PM »

boog

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2017, 05:47:41 PM »
Yasssss, bitch. Work.
There is only one boog.

James de Monet

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2017, 07:56:26 PM »
Its the carefree attitude and playful obliviousness to the negative connotations of bein a garbage boy.

Ahh, gotcha.

It's more of a, "We put on our best faces while seemingly ignoring the broken world around us."

Do you feel we would be better off if we didn't ignore it?

boog

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2017, 08:43:16 PM »
omg what gives james, why are you not asking about the philosophical depths of why i identify with drag queens and their shenanigans?

I'm kidding. It's interesting to see how people feel through visuals.
There is only one boog.

Hauwke

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2017, 08:46:04 PM »
You know I sort of hope my generation has a massive, world wide crisis to contend with at some point, simply because it will teach those that do survive it a greater perspective for life.

On the other hand fuck that, my life is already a train wreck of stupid shit happening.

Refugee

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2017, 09:19:08 PM »
omg what gives james, why are you not asking about the philosophical depths of why i identify with drag queens and their shenanigans?

I'm kidding. It's interesting to see how people feel through visuals.

I'm curious why you identify with drag queens, Boog.

boog

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2017, 09:34:32 PM »
LOL. Um. I suppose it's because my first, closest friends were all gay. One of them presently side-gigs as a drag queen.

Drag queens have always been so sassy and sophisticated to me. Some of them are more convincing women than I am.

I suppose, also, it's one of those, wanna-be artists appreciating the real things. Some of them are so utterly talented, it's absurd. It goes beyond lip synching and beyond most of them being gay to appreciating the way they display their idea of the feminine, and how they truly appreciate women by interpreting them their own way.
There is only one boog.

James de Monet

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2017, 09:54:04 PM »
I thought you were being glib!

If I thought the answer was going to be that profound, I would've asked!  :D

tapas

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:00:12 PM by tapas »

James de Monet

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2017, 10:35:59 AM »
My gif outlook is based on feeling like I'm just trying to have fun in this game called life and then it knock me over.  Also I strongly identify with ponies.

Pale Horse

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2017, 12:28:33 PM »

How I feel about the World, today.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Synthesis

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2017, 12:30:54 PM »
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Yam

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2017, 12:42:47 PM »

James de Monet

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2017, 05:51:36 PM »
Also I strongly identify with ponies.

Any particular reason?

How I feel about the World, today.

There's a lot to unpack there.  Why a semi-synthetic zombie mouse?

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2017, 06:18:16 PM »
That's Pickle Rick. Rick turns himself into a pickle yet through sheer brilliance is able to overcome adversity and take control of his enviornment.

Doesn't really make sense as how you see the world. Its more like "how do you feel today". Which I assume is why Synthesis picardfacepalmed.jpg.

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »
Also I strongly identify with ponies.

Any particular reason?

Horses helped advance humanity to where we are today.  Horses and ponies have as much personality as anybody I know.  Wild ponies are magnificent, playful, and fucking fierce.

Also I was forced by my two year old niece to watch hours and hours of My Little Pony.  I'm totally an Applejack.

TheGoose

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2017, 11:28:09 AM »

Synthesis

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2017, 12:21:24 PM »
That's Pickle Rick. Rick turns himself into a pickle yet through sheer brilliance is able to overcome adversity and take control of his enviornment.

Doesn't really make sense as how you see the world. Its more like "how do you feel today". Which I assume is why Synthesis picardfacepalmed.jpg.

I know exactly nothing about Rick and Morty except that it's a cartoon and that it's frequently referenced for memes.

Picard-facepalm.jpg is my outlook on the world.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Qzzrbl

• Derp
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2017, 06:27:08 PM »
Quote from: MeTekillot
This probably sounds like I'm advocating MMF threesomes that include me but I honestly wouldn't know what to do in that situation. Jazz hands, maybe.

tiptoe

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2017, 09:20:46 PM »

Strongheart

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2017, 03:45:27 AM »
Die gedanken sind frei.

James de Monet

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2017, 03:22:00 AM »
Qzzrbl is alive!  And apparently confused by the news.  You're not alone.

Tiptoe, is that kind of a big 'beauty in diversity' theme?  Or is the actual celebration part of your outlook?

Strongheart seems to have posted a big, black square.  Well played, sir.  Hopefully that's at least partially tongue in cheek.

James de Monet

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2017, 03:25:58 AM »

Yeah, this one...this one gets me.  I feel like most people are dealing with this in some fashion.  I wish I felt more competent to address it.  It's one thing to get people to put down the fake smile, but the tears...that's another matter.

Strongheart

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2017, 07:49:18 AM »
I don't know, Jamestown... maybe. You don't know me! :P

On a serious note, I dig the abstract point you're playing at. I can assure you that I am not a nihilist, an existentialist, or even an absurdist, for I am an opportunist.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:57:59 PM by Strongheart »
Die gedanken sind frei.