IDEA: Nerf Skin

Started by nauta, July 31, 2017, 03:01:32 PM

Mekillot, Bahamet, and Salt Worms all currently use a system like what y'all described. I'm happy to do that sort of thing (with carcasses) with big creatures, but making new code just to make a system more complex and time consuming - then leave the same end result seems wasteful when we could have our limited coding resources working on better, more interesting things.

But delays, I like those.

Unfortunately I can see some people doing something like this to 'practice' their skinning skill if the carcass system is implemented without delays:

Skin Scrab;get carcass;emote rips ~carcus up with a flurry of knife strikes;craft carcass into #1;drop all;say -shrugging Whatever, let's go.

I do like the idea of a delay but is it possible to tailor the delay to the size of the body being skinned?I like the idea of a vestric being plucked and dressed quicker than it takes to skin and butcher a carru.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

I think putting a delay on skin would really be kind of pointless, but it's probably easy enough to implement, so...whatever.

Any hunter PC worth a damn will rest their mount, then sit and change ldesc to recover stamina while emoting skinning the foo.  I've never seen anyone bombing around the desert wrecking shit and skinning it, except in the fairly rare case where you NEED to get X, Y, or Z, but you also NEED to log out soon.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

a question related to this topic, I think.  I've noticed meat items disappear from my inventory occasionally if they are uncooked.  not spoiled, just vanished.  is this intended?
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on August 11, 2017, 05:18:01 PM
a question related to this topic, I think.  I've noticed meat items disappear from my inventory occasionally if they are uncooked.  not spoiled, just vanished.  is this intended?

Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

:D thank you, I literally lol'd
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: Delirium on July 31, 2017, 03:49:38 PM
Skin the corpse, get a skin object and a carcass.

Then butcher the carcass with the craft command for its various parts (meat, gland, bone, etc).

That way people only in it for the hide/shell/antler will leave a carcass behind.

Instead of a pile of ... stuff.

I love this.