IDEA: Nerf Skin

Started by nauta, July 31, 2017, 03:01:32 PM

August 03, 2017, 02:23:19 PM #25 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:24:01 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

As the builder who went through every single tool in the game to assign a bunch of the preexisting tools a quality, I can tell you that it was time consuming and tedious.  I would volunteer again if staff needed that done again.  But we have a couple hundred tools and I'd guess around five to seven thousand craft component items, to put that in perspective. Every shell, every stone, every bone,  everywhere.  It would also require some coding, since quality is ONLY an attribute of tool-typed items, and changing all those items to tool items would screw up other aspects.  Ie, you can craft with a slingstone, but you can't sling a tool-typed stone.

Anyway, I'm not digging on the idea, just offering a perspective that it would be a MAJOR undertaking and would require at least some coding.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

August 04, 2017, 11:37:23 AM #27 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:23:48 AM by Molten Heart

-James Brown

Quote from: valeria on August 04, 2017, 11:12:21 AM

Anyway, I'm not digging on the idea, just offering a perspective that it would be a MAJOR undertaking and would require at least some coding.

I get it. I know the base DIKU code and I've coded many muds from scratch. It's a HUGE undertaking both in value assignment and code rewrite.

That said, it'd still be cool.

I still think I'm more down for crafting a skinned scrab shell into a 'quality' scrab shell with a craft skill that checks skinning. If you fail, the shell wasn't good enough, but if you succeed, you manage to ... I don't know. Cut away any of the rougher, thinner looking areas to create a "lustrous chitinous shell" that now is included in all its own crafts.

It could be time consuming, but a Merchant PC could do all this themselves. Rather than assigning quality to every skinned object in the database, and then expect effects on crafted items.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on August 04, 2017, 12:34:13 PM
I still think I'm more down for crafting a skinned scrab shell into a 'quality' scrab shell with a craft skill that checks skinning. If you fail, the shell wasn't good enough, but if you succeed, you manage to ... I don't know. Cut away any of the rougher, thinner looking areas to create a "lustrous chitinous shell" that now is included in all its own crafts.

It could be time consuming, but a Merchant PC could do all this themselves. Rather than assigning quality to every skinned object in the database, and then expect effects on crafted items.

Rather than hauling kills back to merchant PCs to butcher, processing top tier quality pelts and skins might have been an interesting thing for hunters employed by merchant houses to be able to do. Of course the merchants would still have to tan them, but... Maybe the expert skinning ability would have been something that could even have persisted if hunters left the house. More likely it would have been restricted to a certain way of cutting like "brew" is different than "craft" under the brew and so could be lost if someone bailed, but just tossing out that wild thought. It's moot now. (shrugs)
Smooth Sands,
Maristen Kadius, Solace the Bard, Paxter (Jump), Numii Arabet, and the rest.

Its still a valid idea, but it wouldn't have given hunters the 'purpose' you'd think.

I'm still thinking +1 on carcass/resources off skinning, so you can bury the carcass whole if you want just the hide/claws...

If there's too much meat, I say chaltons don't need to drop as much meat as they do, or they should be FAR less aggressive to each other/far less numerous. Its expensive to eat in Allanak, hunters/grebbers provide sustenance at sustainable prices, but since a raw chalton steak and a cooked scrab steak are so similar, may as well eat the one you can get 6 of for no effort.

The underlying problem of "lots of junk items lying around" is the fact that these items are, indeed junk (most of the time).  If they were actually valuable (most of the time), they wouldn't be lying there.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I think Skin is just fine as is. If you have master skinning you should be able to salvage most if not all of a corpse, meat included. Considering meat rots, and you have to eat it's really not so bad.

It becomes a problem when; you are in a clan and get free food.

Simple solution to that. Cook the food you cut and eat it or spread it around instead of the clan food. Its a thing I do on just about every character that is clanned because it makes sense to do.

Oh you have 15 scrab steaks? Spread the scrab steak love!

edit to add: You can even make a scene out of dinner or breakfast. Probably dinner because you have plenty of time for that, get your guy slaving over a hot oven and such.

This would have to go in with a buff to cooking to make it so advanced/master chefs still don't drop food in the dust 20+% of the time. Even so, I don't think this would be a very useful change. If you were so inclined you could still go spamhunt the Known. If you were a more restrained hunter, you'd HAVE to overhunt just to keep yourself fed (or make enough money to buy water, etc).

Bottom line, I think this would harm low-playtime players and wouldn't significantly impact high playtime players. It's already ridiculous enough that a moose-sized carru only yields two pieces of meat (which only fill up a PC for a day or two).

Quote from: Yam on August 07, 2017, 04:11:01 PM
It's already ridiculous enough that a moose-sized carru only yields two pieces of meat (which only fill up a PC for a day or two).

This is absolutely not the case. Those two "pieces" of meat end up being enough for like 6 services, which should last you longer than a RL hour and a half.

However, I do agree with the rest of your sentiment. It wouldn't affect the high-playtime "Its morning I should kill ALL the things" people, but the "I have time to play for 2 hours tonight, and my PC can't afford 50 coins for a steak, so I guess a-hunting I will go" will struggle even more.

But I'm still totes behind carcass/skinnables

Quote from: Riev on August 07, 2017, 04:15:39 PM
Quote from: Yam on August 07, 2017, 04:11:01 PM
It's already ridiculous enough that a moose-sized carru only yields two pieces of meat (which only fill up a PC for a day or two).

This is absolutely not the case. Those two "pieces" of meat end up being enough for like 6 services, which should last you longer than a RL hour and a half.

Might be misremembering which animal, but some of the big ones definitely don't yield a sane amount of meat. It also depends on what you cook things into.

August 07, 2017, 04:26:35 PM #38 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:51:46 AM by Molten Heart

-James Brown

Akariel's MeatCraft project has definitely evened the playing field on a lot of the Northern animals.

I still would rather see skinning be a crafting check on a body in the room/in inventory, but I don't think crafting recipes can have two different outputs (I might be wrong on that). Maybe if skinning gave you a carcass with RELATIVE ease, but then horns/skulls/piles of bones are harder to get at? Or maybe have Carcass Object + a collection of body parts on the side, that THEN needs to be crafted?

Quote from: Riev on August 07, 2017, 04:31:20 PM
Akariel's MeatCraft project has definitely evened the playing field on a lot of the Northern animals.

I still would rather see skinning be a crafting check on a body in the room/in inventory, but I don't think crafting recipes can have two different outputs (I might be wrong on that). Maybe if skinning gave you a carcass with RELATIVE ease, but then horns/skulls/piles of bones are harder to get at? Or maybe have Carcass Object + a collection of body parts on the side, that THEN needs to be crafted?

Crafting scrab guts yields 4 different objects, so obviously it's possible.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

.... oh god you're right.

I'm so bad at this game.

The problem with carcass objects is that it would take a literally decade to set everything up and get it approved. Not only would making a new carcass object for every creature be mind-numbingly boring, we can only put a certain amount of crafts up for approval at any one time. I would rather fill my craft tool with new, interesting objects than load it down with a ton of more complex ways to have very similar results (with a time delay) to skinning.

That said, I am all for putting a delay on the skin command and have tried to push for it before - and will push for it again.

Quote from: Akariel on August 08, 2017, 03:52:55 PM
The problem with carcass objects is that it would take a literally decade to set everything up and get it approved. Not only would making a new carcass object for every creature be mind-numbingly boring, we can only put a certain amount of crafts up for approval at any one time. I would rather fill my craft tool with new, interesting objects than load it down with a ton of more complex ways to have very similar results (with a time delay) to skinning.

That said, I am all for putting a delay on the skin command and have tried to push for it before - and will push for it again.

A sane delay would be great.

Quote from: Yam on August 08, 2017, 07:06:35 PM
Quote from: Akariel on August 08, 2017, 03:52:55 PM

A sane delay would be great.

+1, but please make it a -pre- delay so that it can be interrupted if, say, a giant mekillot comes wandering in.

Could we maybe just not? Does everything have to take a fucking IRL hour? It takes long enough to get around.

In an ideal world, there would be a delay between each item you pull off the corpse that depends on what you're pulling off. Before, of course.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: TheGoose on August 09, 2017, 10:20:39 AM
Could we maybe just not? Does everything have to take a fucking IRL hour? It takes long enough to get around.

Nothing stops you from packing the corpse beforehand, and doing it later, either.

And it doesn't have to be longer than 10-15 seconds. Its just that you can go in and skin corpse x10 in under five seconds, which is pretty ridiculous.

August 09, 2017, 12:13:50 PM #49 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:22:52 AM by Molten Heart

-James Brown