Will slant eye be next on the "thou shalt not use" list

Started by John, July 29, 2017, 08:43:50 PM

That would be lame af and stuff like that was the reason for the change. Heh.

Quote from: Kankfly on August 01, 2017, 07:42:15 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 01, 2017, 12:16:11 PM
Pretty sure I haven't seen a single person supplying a reasonable explanation for why we need to remove words in a game as harsh and racist as Armageddon. But the decision was made and staff have gone back on a total of 0 decisions in the decade I've been here. It's pointless to argue further.

If I remember right, it's wasn't because people were overly sensitve and immediately connected that word to the RL word and felt offended, but it was because there were some IG that was using it -like- the RL word.

For example:

Sup, necka?
How ya doin', necka?

And to others, it was jarring and immersion breaking, so they removed it.

Ive never seen or heard of someone using it like that. Ive been here a long time. If individual players are bringing anachronistic phrases into the game then those individual people should be dealt with.

As is i've seen slant-eyed more than ive seen someone saying shit like "whats up my necker".

Also staff have stated why they removed the word. It had nothing to do with being IC and everything to do with being politically correct and inoffensive.

Seriously. Has anyone. ANYONE on this thread ever saw someone saying, 'necka/my necka/etc in the game? Like EVER? Even 'one' instance of that would justify this whole nonsense, at least a little bit. Has anyone? Anyone at all? Even once?

It's what I heard, and I can respect the decision for that reason.

But I feel like since the decision has already been made, we should just move on and let things lie.
I ruin immershunz.

August 02, 2017, 02:09:59 AM #79 Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 02:14:45 AM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: Dar on August 02, 2017, 01:33:54 AM
Even 'one' instance of that would justify this whole nonsense, at least a little bit.

It really doesn't.

Quote from: Kankfly on August 02, 2017, 01:43:25 AM
But I feel like since the decision has already been made, we should just move on and let things lie.

It will never be reverted, but this discussion might cause staff to think twice about censoring words to cater to the sensibilities of the type of people who shouldn't be playing this game.

I'm still of the stance that if the word necker is enough to offend you then this game is 100% not for you. We partake in racism that is FAR worse than calling someone the N-word.

One time my teacher was young, drunk and cruising in the car with his friends. They stopped at a burger place, maybe Krystal's, and got some burgers.

Everyone working there that night was black, and everyone in the car was white.

They get their food from the drivethru and at the bottom of the bag are packets of crackers.

I always liked that one.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Its playful racism like -that- that I think the world should have rather than the more blunt "Fuck you" racism that we have.

Adorable racism.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 02, 2017, 01:00:18 AM
Pretty sure I haven't seen a single person supplying a reasonable explanation for why we need to remove words in a game as harsh and racist as Armageddon. But the decision was made and staff have gone back on a total of 0 decisions in the decade I've been here. It's pointless to argue further.

If I remember right, it's wasn't because people were overly sensitve and immediately connected that word to the RL word and felt offended, but it was because there were some IG that was using it -like- the RL word.

For example:

Sup, necka?
How ya doin', necka?

Ive never seen or heard of someone using it like that. Ive been here a long time. If individual players are bringing anachronistic phrases into the game then those individual people should be dealt with.

As is i've seen slant-eyed more than ive seen someone saying shit like "whats up my necker".

Also staff have stated why they removed the word. It had nothing to do with being IC and everything to do with being politically correct and inoffensive.

I had seen it used in game, though I think it was a subset of particular players doing it, and could have better warranted a "Please don't use necker in that manner, we are trying to avoid the OOC connotations" rather than a full ban. But it was being used like that. Just saying.

However, I'm on board with "I haven't seen someone use 'slant eye' in game" ever, and I've been here for ... what... 12 years or so? Unfortunately, in American society "the N word" (even I'm afraid to use it in a fashion that can be reproduced later) is just such a hot topic, that its better staff just quash it immediately. Its unfortunate for all the other races and terrible words that can be used, but this is also an adult game.

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Seriously. Has anyone. ANYONE on this thread ever saw someone saying, 'necka/my necka/etc in the game? Like EVER? Even 'one' instance of that would justify this whole nonsense, at least a little bit. Has anyone? Anyone at all? Even once?

Literally all the time. It was rare to find an elf that didn't speak like that.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Yeah, seriously, just leave it alone. Can you imagine how bad it would look if staff walked back the necker decision now? They cannot and should not do it. Just...please stop pushing them to do more, even if it's just to make a point about hypocrisy or inconsistency or whatever. Just leave it be.

Quote from: bcw81 on August 02, 2017, 09:16:35 AM

Literally all the time. It was rare to find an elf that didn't speak like that.

Quote from: Riev on August 02, 2017, 09:16:11 AM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 02, 2017, 01:00:18 AM

For example:

Sup, necka?
How ya doin', necka?

I had seen it used in game, though I think it was a subset of particular players doing it, and could have better warranted a "Please don't use necker in that manner, we are trying to avoid the OOC connotations" rather than a full ban. But it was being used like that. Just saying.

The point still stands that staff didn't ban the word because people we're using it anachronistically. They banned it because people were getting offended by it and reporting it to staff.

Quote from: sleepyhead on August 02, 2017, 10:01:41 AM
Yeah, seriously, just leave it alone. Can you imagine how bad it would look if staff walked back the necker decision now? They cannot and should not do it. Just...please stop pushing them to do more, even if it's just to make a point about hypocrisy or inconsistency or whatever. Just leave it be.

People aren't trying to argue that more words should be banned. They're giving examples and drawing parallels in order to show staff they do not approve of the decision to ban the word necker.

Again this doesn't have to be to revert the change, it only has to keep it from happening more.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 02, 2017, 10:59:30 AM
People aren't trying to argue that more words should be banned. They're giving examples and drawing parallels in order to show staff they do not approve of the decision to ban the word necker.

I thought I made it clear that I know exactly what they're trying to do and what kind of point they're trying to make. But I don't think they should be doing it, because it is a lot more likely to backfire than to result in the necker ban being walked back.

The point still stands that staff didn't ban the word because people we're using it anachronistically. They banned it because people were getting offended by it and reporting it to staff.

I'm well aware of that, that doesn't detract from the good that the ban has done in routing that problem.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on August 02, 2017, 12:10:39 PM

I'm well aware of that, that doesn't detract from the good that the ban has done in routing that problem.

Possibly true, depending on the definition of the problem.

I think the major contention I still have with this, is that "Lensed Sunslits" were deemed anachronistic, and removed. Combat Gloves were deemed foolish, and removed. These were items that existed, and were removed from the game because of their design.

The term "Necker" is a word, not a construct that was created by the staff. Rather than deal with the people using it incorrectly, they blanketed a ban. That is likely an easier method. It got rid of the problem.

But I feel like its getting rid of the problem much like killing a rat in your house with a shotgun. It worked, the rats dead, but look at what else it caused.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

It didn't cause anything except some forum handwringing by players overthinking things.

Lol adults getting offended by words. SMH
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!