Will slant eye be next on the "thou shalt not use" list

Started by John, July 29, 2017, 08:43:50 PM

Take slant eye off the curses list, because no one even uses it.  And nobody cares.
Where it will go

If you don't like what John has to say in this thread why not just... not participate? Honestly guys, refusing to post in a discussion you have grown tired of is in fact one option available to you (so is not reading if it bothers you so much).

There are a lot of threads on this discussion board as a whole. There are a lot I don't participate in. There's a reason for that. You might want to give that a try some time.

Quote from: Malken on July 30, 2017, 01:06:27 PMI'm feeling like there's an air of "positiveness" right now going on with the game and the community, as well as with the Staff. In all honesty, I feel like this post and the timing of it is just shitting on the players' and the Staff's parade
I wouldn't know anything about that because literally the second thing I saw was this policy actually happened (first thing I saw was a bunch of release notes on bug fixes).

Quote from: Malken on July 30, 2017, 01:06:27 PMI'm all for dissent and for "keeping it real, yo", but I think that shit stirring just for the sake of it is pretty lame
We have a policy that literally polices how we can speak in game because of allusions to real life racial slurs, and yet the policy is limited to the one thing that has got staff all hot and bothered. The fact I can't use a fictional racial slur in game and yet I have carte blanche to use actual real racial slurs is definitely eyeroll worthy and something I'm going to bring up.

Quote from: TheGoose on July 30, 2017, 01:28:01 PMStaff already did reverts on the silliest of the silly shit, but the necker change isn't going anywhere.
I call it how I see it and when I see stupid I point out it's stupid.

Quote from: TheGoose on July 30, 2017, 01:28:01 PMDo what the rest of us do and ignore it IG, staff will continue not really enforcing this rule nobody likes or cares about and eventually it'll fade away.
Hey, if people are actually simply ignoring it and deliberately breaking the rule and staff are willfully refusing to enforce it, that's great. But that isn't really obvious to anyone whose read about the rule which explicitly says:
QuoteThis is an official rule moving forward, it is not an optional rule.  Players who choose to continue to use the term in game will be viewed as having broken one of the game rules and be given the appropriate warnings and follow up.
Note that breaking other rules result in: character storing, karma getting docked, 1 month bans and permanent bans. But if everyone's saying this policy isn't actually being enforced at all then that's good to hear. I won't have to alter my character's from using fictional slurs to using actual slurs.

Weird, who wrote up the curses helpfile? I've NEVER heard anyone use slant eye IG. And doesn't everyone know it's a RL racist term? Wacky stuff, let's get that removed.

i warned you about those slippery slopes bro!!!

i told you dog!

Not really a slippery slope. As far as I'm aware, RL racism has always been banned.

Quote from: th3kaiser on July 30, 2017, 05:04:44 PM
Weird, who wrote up the curses helpfile? I've NEVER heard anyone use slant eye IG. And doesn't everyone know it's a RL racist term? Wacky stuff, let's get that removed.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard it used as a racist remark.  I don't think it should be banned, either, since slant-eyed is a descriptor that can have not-racist uses, per WarriorPoet.  Don't see anything wrong with that, myself.  Remove it from the curses helpfile, and slam dunk this thread.
Where it will go

Google it: https://www.google.com.au/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-samsung&source=android-browser&q=slant+eyed&gfe_rd=cr&ei=ya1_WanRF9Lr8Af23bqwCw

You aren't going to get a bunch of anatomical websites. The word is definitely racist. Not banning slant eyed while banning necker makes no sense at all. Than again, I think banning any words because they could be perceived as being a RL racist term is ridiculous.

its almost as if fantasy as a genre and its depiction of fantasy races is mired within racist bio-determinist ideologies of the centuries passed and that racism in fiction is uncomfortably close to racism in real life

i kind of find it funny how people potentially getting offended by necker was reason enough for it to be removed

when people say another word offends them they get told to suck it up and fuck off

seems kind of arbitrary but i'm not sure why i expected anything else at this point

I'm part Asian and live in the American south so banning slant-eyed feels a little weird since I can't immediately think of any good replacements, and its not offensive in my mind, its a trait some people have, with the slightly vaguest hint of offensiveness to it, but you don't know any other words for it.

I remember one corporal or sargaent or something of the Arm who lived for a long time and had slant-eyed in his description. I think that for the longest time, I assumed he was one of those Clark Kenting elves (Clark Kent removes his sunglasses to transform into Superman, the way some people have elf eyes in the game and are considered human.) But he never acted like an elf around me, so I didn't assume he was.

You guys are talking about slant-eyed as an insult rather than a sdesc or mdesc word aren't you?
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

In that case, yeah, I can see it. Its like a stab against Asians or something. I didn't grow up with much of the culture, my mom wanted me raised American, so its not like my opinion means more or anything.

(When someone in Gran Torino called an Asian a rice n----, we both laughed.)
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

No, I just have never heard that used as a racist slur. This is OP shit stirring. Imms modified the original post to only be necker, at first it was words like dick and cunt, both of which I love on rinthi pcs, so I get where he is going with the fallacy slippery slope argument. I remember this exact same thing when rape was removed. Necker was lame, cmon.

Quote from: Inks on August 01, 2017, 05:48:40 AM
No, I just have never heard that used as a racist slur. This is OP shit stirring.

How can you tell?

It might not be offensive to you, a very obviously privileged white american, but to asians such as myself it's hurtful that a word that was deemed to have similarities to a derogatory to a certain ethnic miniority was removed when a word that IS a derogatory to my ethnic is still considered perfectly acceptable to use IG. Do our feelings just not matter as much?

I forget whose quote it is, But!

At the end of the day we are all a bunch of nerds pretending to be bald dwarves and dusty elves.

If you find stuff insulting, take a step back and tell yourself: "Wait, is that racist Byn Sarge telling me the player that I am a worthless piece of shit Runner with no hope of ever doing anything." Or are they saying it to my character in this RolePlaying game, thats like 90% about being a raging dickhead?

Edit because I am a stupid: I used Necker and didnt want it banned. My racist AF RP does not equal racist AF RL.

So now you are guessing my social background and natio? To be fair I was never offended by necker, I just found it lame rp. So many rap songs changed to necker, was eyeroll inducing?

@Lutagar, don't play an rpi if you are going to be insulted by the rp. It is only the fact that necker broke immersion for me with an audiable clunk, is all.

August 01, 2017, 05:58:39 AM #45 Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:00:56 AM by Lutagar
Quote from: Inks on August 01, 2017, 05:55:23 AM
So now you are guessing my social background and natio?

Yep, if you'd suffered any form of discrimination in your life you wouldn't be as dismissive as you are right now. And there's only really one ethnic that gets to live in such blissful ignorance.

Have you considered the reason you've never heard it used IRL is because you're not asian and it doesn't apply to you?

Being white means you cant make any racist comments without being called racist. Being any other skin color makes you an asshole for the comment.

Thanks man. Appreciate the support. My jimmies actually got rustled when I was suddenly called a rascist on a discussion about rp.

Quote from: Hauwke on August 01, 2017, 06:01:08 AM
Being white means you cant make any racist comments without being called racist. Being any other skin color makes you an asshole for the comment.

I could agree if we had 'honkey' or 'cracker' as an IG slurr and everyone that wasn't white was arguing it was fine and those who wanted it removed were just being huge babies, but this isn't what's happening at all. It's the exact opposite. They're not used very often irl unironically, so would that make it okay?

I dont even view it as true racism. Sure they are called races but in my headcannon the various peoples of Zalanthas are more like different species to be entirely honest. Would that even be called racism?