Will slant eye be next on the "thou shalt not use" list

Started by John, July 29, 2017, 08:43:50 PM

HEY GUYS GUESS WHAT? I'M FREAKING ASIAN! CHINESE TO BE EXACT!

And I am not offended by the term 'slant-eyes' IG.

So can all you people stop beating on this horse skeleton already? And move on?
I ruin immershunz.

This is a really active thread for it being six in the morning. That's when all the Asians are up, of course.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

August 01, 2017, 06:25:28 AM #52 Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:29:25 AM by Lutagar
Quote from: Kankfly on August 01, 2017, 06:15:51 AM

And I am not offended by the term 'slant-eyes' IG. narcissistic enough to think i speak for an entire ethnic.

ftfy

Quote from: Lutagar on August 01, 2017, 05:53:43 AM
Quote from: Inks on August 01, 2017, 05:48:40 AM
No, I just have never heard that used as a racist slur. This is OP shit stirring.

How can you tell?

It might not be offensive to you, a very obviously privileged white american, but to asians such as myself it's hurtful that a word that was deemed to have similarities to a derogatory to a certain ethnic miniority was removed when a word that IS a derogatory to my ethnic is still considered perfectly acceptable to use IG. Do our feelings just not matter as much?

Quote from: Lutagar on August 01, 2017, 06:25:28 AM

And I am not offended by the term 'slant-eyes' IG. narcissistic enough to think i speak for an entire ethnic.

ftfy

That's rather hypocritical of you since you just made the same assumption for an entire ethnic group, and then turned around and called someone else a "very obviously privileged white american". :P
I ruin immershunz.

Kankfly for the knock out!

Go home, Lutagar, you're drunk.

Hey guys, relax. There's nothing wrong with your viewpoints too.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Lutagar on August 01, 2017, 06:25:28 AM

ftfy

I remembered a time when there will be a moderator that will step in at this point, asking everyone to calm down and stop flaming. This is a General DISCUSSION board, not a General FLAMING board.  ;)

Now while you are most welcome to feeling offended about a certain IC slur that may or may not trigger an OOC negative reaction, please keep in mind this is a an IC game where most of us are playing something different to who we really are in real life. Just because I am playing a simple-minded HG as an example, does not mean I am simple minded in real life. And in reverse, just because I called you a simple-minded half-giant, does not mean I am implying in anyway possible that you are a simple-minded over-grown RL human towering at a minimum of 10 feet tall. It is what it is in essence, a game.

Sadly if we are all trying to be extremely politically correct on a game setting that does NOT allow politically correct environment, this game will no longer be a game that we've all come to love.

Armageddon is a harsh environment where the strongest survives. People will degrade you, kill you, and (in the cases of the more privileged) bury you with dirty, under-the-table political manoeuvres. Racism unfortunately IN THE GAME happens, but that is not a direct reflection of a player OOC.

Just because I called someone a... and in this instance ... dirty, slant-eyed, cheating sharp does not mean I'm calling that PC out that in real life they're a dirty, slant-eyed cheating Asian. Why? Because I'm addressing a goddamn elf, not a goddamn Asian. PLEASE NOTE: Asians do not exist on Arm

Finally, as a Chinese player who look very Chinese and have actually experienced racism first-hand on multiple times I have zero connection between calling a fictional fantasy character their characteristic trait to a group of race in RL.

Because I repeat: It's just a game.
Quote from: Majikal on August 20, 2009, 05:53:09 PM

Running after Carru, catching them, then eating them while they are still breathing is a Red Fang's version of 'fast food'.

Now, look what you did, you got all the Asians riled up ...  to say it's just a game.  Lurvs you guys.  I tell you what, though, I couldn't find a single post where anybody was saying "Holy shit, I love slant eye, and I'll fight that to my dying breath, you fuckers!"  Couldn't even find anything close to it.  Probably because most of Arm's population isn't racist.  Stay woke, tho
Where it will go

I don't give a crap one way or another about slant-eye because no one uses it for elves IG. Maybe I have heard it once or twice ever. But it's not cool with me to call Kankfly narcissistic. She is anything but.

"I created a new thread because I wanted to draw attention to the fact a RL racial slur is permitted in game (unlike necker which isn't actually a RL racial slur) and see whether or not staff or the players feel like it should be banned. "

Anything can be construed as racist or hurtful. We live in the age of participation awards IRL...but not in Zalanthas! So, knock it off.

I think that banning anything in the game because it hurts someone's feelings IRL is ridiculous. This is a mature game with mature content everywhere. What happened to separating IC and OOC? It is almost as if people aren't really playing in Zalanthas...this is a very gritty environment where murder is common and torture is a public pastime.

A lack of maturity and inclination to melt are softening the game. Knock it off. Please.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Alright. It is that time. You can be as vehement as you please, but that has to stop short of personal attacks. If you need to re-read the forum rules.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

Pretty sure I haven't seen a single person supplying a reasonable explanation for why we need to remove words in a game as harsh and racist as Armageddon. But the decision was made and staff have gone back on a total of 0 decisions in the decade I've been here. It's pointless to argue further.

I just want to know why asians don't exist in the game. I'm genuinely curious.
Just like the white winged dove,
Sings a song
Sounds like she's singing
Oooo,ooo, ooo

Quote from: LucildaHunta on August 01, 2017, 03:29:24 PM

They live across the Silt Sea.

More likely, the Known's population of humans is based on the humans that survived whatever wiped out most of society. The Known is, for all intents and purposes, rather small and limited so far as in-race diversity, to the point where nobility all have similar genetics and commoners probably just kill off anything that looks different. Most humans are probably homogenized to look, basically, like middle-easterners.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

1. Most of the middle East is in Asia
2. There's often a disconnect between how mdescs are written and read. I bet there are plenty of Asians.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Riev on August 01, 2017, 03:40:24 PM
Quote from: LucildaHunta on August 01, 2017, 03:29:24 PM

They live across the Silt Sea.

More likely, the Known's population of humans is based on the humans that survived whatever wiped out most of society. The Known is, for all intents and purposes, rather small and limited so far as in-race diversity, to the point where nobility all have similar genetics and commoners probably just kill off anything that looks different. Most humans are probably homogenized to look, basically, like middle-easterners.

Is that written down somewhere or just a thing?
Sings a song
Oooo,ooo, ooo

I always assumed Nakki citizens were from the Deep South. Rinthis are all from the Bronx. Red Stormers are BWI. Cenyr is Wales, obviously. Luir's Outpost is Jamaica, doh. Tuluk is the UK, or possibly Wyoming. That would make Morin's Istanbul, and the Tablelands are clearly Arizona.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

August 01, 2017, 05:43:41 PM #67 Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:46:35 PM by BadSkeelz
I've seen more people referred to as "Chinky" in-character more than I've ever seen slant-eyed used in-character. (It's 1 to 0 if you're wondering).

I've seen plenty of PCs with what we could refer to OOC as having "Asian" features, but the word and concept of  "Asia" doesn't exist in game so it shouldn't be used as a reference in game. I also interpret the setting in the opposite manner of Riev: the Known is functionally a post-apocalyptic refugee camp, with a large degree of variation in looks allowable because it's been settled by people from all over the old world. There's no right or wrong way to portray a human character. I'm pretty sure the common PC tropes of "northies are blond, southies are swarthy" is just player-created apocrypha and has no actual documentary basis.

I think there might have been one Byn Sarge who had slant-eyed in his sdesc, but I never read it as anything other than a matter-of-fact anatomical description. And I'm the one person who correctly interpreted the racist connotations behind "Necker" so I think we can all agree that that was a safe and uncontroversial use of the phrase.

They live across the Silt Slit Sea.

"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

QuoteI'm pretty sure the common PC tropes of "northies are blond, southies are swarthy" is just player-created apocrypha and has no actual documentary basis.

northies are vikings, southies are middle-easterners

IT IS KNOWN

Quote from: Malken on August 01, 2017, 05:52:34 PM
They live across the Silt Slit Sea.

Well played sir, well played.
Sings a song
Oooo,ooo, ooo

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 01, 2017, 12:16:11 PM
Pretty sure I haven't seen a single person supplying a reasonable explanation for why we need to remove words in a game as harsh and racist as Armageddon. But the decision was made and staff have gone back on a total of 0 decisions in the decade I've been here. It's pointless to argue further.

If I remember right, it's wasn't because people were overly sensitve and immediately connected that word to the RL word and felt offended, but it was because there were some IG that was using it -like- the RL word.

For example:

Sup, necka?
How ya doin', necka?

And to others, it was jarring and immersion breaking, so they removed it.
I ruin immershunz.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 01, 2017, 05:43:41 PM
I'm pretty sure the common PC tropes of "northies are blond, southies are swarthy" is just player-created apocrypha and has no actual documentary basis.

It is actually in the docs. But the docs also say that northerners and southerners have interbred to the point that there's not much of a rule anymore.

This shit is what I was afraid would happen when we started down this road.  So predictable.

And frankly, if the first argument had validity this argument, in my opinion, has more.

This time next year we will all sit around the fire circle in Luirs and sing Kum Ba Ya, all races holding hands and passing the spice.

Let's keep in mind that this was just a hypothetical shit-stirring thread. There's been no ruling and I don't know if anyone is seriously asking for one (I don't read threads). If this becomes the next Big Deal it's only because people forced it to become one.

On an unrelated note I'm saddened that I never got drunk enough the chance to sing "Don't Trust Them New Neckas Over There" in game.