I've been playing this game for X years, what should I do next?

Started by mansa, July 28, 2017, 09:35:12 PM

I've been playing this game for over x number of years.  I've played nearly every race and ever combination of guilds, old and new.
I've tried to start a war and tried to create a clan and I've got many mastercraft items in the game.  I've killed so many players and stored my character.  I've explored to the end of the multi-worlds.

What is my motivation for playing?  What should / could I do next?

Inspired by:
Tregil - Today at 6:28 PM
I love playing in areas that are undergoing massive changes. Greater odds of leaving an impact that'd last a rl decade
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I would personally examine each role/race/guild you've played, find the ones you have the fondest memories about, and just dive in a figure out again why you like playing this game in the first place.

You sound jaded, but from experience. There was fun here once. Find that fun again.

There are always stories to be told. That part never ends. And there are more than enough different groups (clans, races, etc) to never have to do the exact same thing twice. I actually think there are heaps of things never been done/tried before. I'd love to give some examples but I wanna hold onto them for later :P

There will come a time where I no longer play this game but it will not be for a lack of ideas. Use your noggin, take some time envisioning something that's never been done before and it'll come to you :)

The best part about the game is the people.  That's why even when I've played every possible combination of things, I still fall back on my favorites frequently: human merchants, human warriors, human hunters, and dwarfs.  My motivation for playing is to dig into my characters and tell their stories.  I forget who said it, but one of my favorite things said about Arm was that we basically take an NPC and screw up their lives.

I'd roll a random human or dwarf, set myself up at the Gaj, and see who draws me into what for fun.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

The hypothetically phrased OP reminds me of the "three different motivations that drive gamers" argument: the player-killers, explorers, and socialites.

I would challenge an "explorer" phrasing the question of "what to do next" by starting with "I have tried every combination of race and guild(s) in game" with,

A character is much more than a race, guild, and starting location. Think of a city. How many different backgrounds are possible in a city of almost 1 million Zalanthans?

The answer is, almost 1 million.

Every life is unique. The social contacts they make will be unique. A character is more than the House they work for, the skills they have, and the race they belong to.
Blend your explorer desires with the desire to explore the social milieu of Zalanthas. You might have played as a member of House Kadius before, but as who?
Now you can replay each of those different roles with a new personality or background type. If your definition of "done it all before" is "human warrior/ranger" or whatever...
maybe you need to re-define your terms. Maybe you've played as a Noble's servant as a character with a stuck-up attitude, a huge breadth of strong prejudices or fears, a tendency towards gluttony, or a jealous streak.
Now you can play again, this time trying to be a noble's servant who is a fanatical worshipper of the Highlord, or as a commoner-hating abuser of their power who seeks to use the position to inflict pain upon the populace that once troubled her.

The possibilities of stories that can be told in a large multiplayer game with players who are all actively roleplaying is quite literally endless. The possibilities during any one time are a bit more restricted to what's going on in game, but you shouldn't have trouble finding a new role.

I would add that as a veteran player, don't be afraid to store a concept that isn't working out and make a new one. That's the way of it, as you go through the ringer over and over. Sometimes a concept is a dud, but you can still hit the jackpot.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

You know that crazy krathi you made, who wanted to do X, Y, Z and used his magicks as his methodology to achieve it?

Try making a crazy crafter who wants to do the SAME THING as your krathi did, but uses his crafting skills as his methodology to achieve it.

Use all the available options that you've always used, but apply completely different personalities/approaches/perspectives to them. A ranger who thinks he can become attuned to the elements, because he really IS a ranger, in personality and lifestyle, not just in coded skills. Or a warrior who thinks HE can do the same thing (even though he probably will fail miserably because no hunt/scan/lousy ranger-vision = not so great at rangering).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I've only played like... four PCs I think? But their races, roles and locations were kind of irrelevant with what was making me have fun.

It's the overall environment and which people you play and interact with that make it fun. So find ways to be creative and find creative people to play with.

It sounds like you have covered the breadth of the game. I know the feeling. These days I go for depth in simple roles. A grebber. A spy. A soldier. I try to live their lives from the inside...more.

Maybe you already have done it all. But I've found hidden depths in simple characters.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

The main guilds are about to get scrambled (supposedly), there are a shitload of new-ish subguilds, the magick subguilds are pretty brand-new, and the brew code has been rejiggered.  If you're an explorer type who doesn't die at the cyclic rate, that's a whooooole lot of stuff to burn through.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 12, 2017, 06:51:53 AM
The main guilds are about to get scrambled (supposedly),

Where's this been talked about?
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Play roles/combos you've never played before - the game is changing and so is the world - you never know when some current option might disappear in the future.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

play a pickpocket. i hear those are in season every season!
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on August 30, 2017, 12:57:39 PM

DO 'NOT' GIVE MANSA A PICKPOCKET!  LMFAO  (facepalm)
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Quote from: perfecto on August 30, 2017, 03:19:30 PM
Quote from: evilcabbage on August 30, 2017, 12:57:39 PM

DO 'NOT' GIVE MANSA A PICKPOCKET!  LMFAO  (facepalm)

10k gold sid per week, templars hate him!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I made four large a week doing this incredibly simple thing! Inquire inside my completely legitimate, dark den of mystery and thieves but not thieves just cake.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Play Amos, the tall, muscular man, and rock that.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"