Atrium time!

Started by Riev, July 26, 2017, 01:44:45 PM

While in the past, this role would never have been for me, I admit I'm rather tickled at the idea of a (indeterminate iteration number) reopening of this clan.

I'd always felt Tuluk should have opened the A'jinn as something similar, but this is a great idea. I've liked the Atrium people I've played with before, it just seemed like there was little going on, and similar to the T'zai Byn, what need does someone have of a "Graduate" when they can just "train their own the way THEY want?"

How many times have you hired a Runner Graduate only for them to be absolutely stupid and die within a week? Here's hoping the Atrium can stem that!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Let's all give this new incarnation of the Atrium (whatever it will be) a fair shot. Maybe it'll be really cool. The long list of staffers that has contributed is a good sign, I think.
It is said that things coming in through the gate can never be your own treasures. What is gained from external circumstances will perish in the end.
- the Mumonkan

Is it a "Find Out In The Game" sort of thing to hear about the project and what went into it? If it isn't too revealing, those sorts of Behind the Code things that Nathvaan wrote up were super interesting to read.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

My experience is that it's most fun to find out inside the game world.

I'm thrilled by your curiosity and since we've all been working on this for around nine months, I assure you the changes address almost every level of the clan. That said, I've done my best to stay true to the original flavor.

I hope those of you who are curious find a way to be involved or manage to join the clan so you can experience the differences first hand! I'm incredibly proud of the work we've all put in together. I think there's a real magic to joint effort on a project and that kind of creativity is almost impossible to replicate singlehandedly.

I'm also hopeful for more feedback as we go along. Ideally through the request tool.

Quote from: Oryx on July 26, 2017, 04:14:12 PM
My experience is that it's most fun to find out inside the game world.

I'm thrilled by your curiosity and since we've all been working on this for around nine months, I assure you the changes address almost every level of the clan. That said, I've done my best to stay true to the original flavor.

I hope those of you who are curious find a way to be involved or manage to join the clan so you can experience the differences first hand! I'm incredibly proud of the work we've all put in together. I think there's a real magic to joint effort on a project and that kind of creativity is almost impossible to replicate singlehandedly.

I'm also hopeful for more feedback as we go along. Ideally through the request tool.

Very cool, thank you!
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

I am pretty excited about this!
A staff member sends:
     "The mind you have reached is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."

The one time I made it into the Atrium I found it not at all to my liking and stored that character 3-4 days in. However more aids means more things to steal, so I'm all for this.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Atrium has never been quite my cup of tea but it has turned out some truly amazing characters. Glad to see the clan getting some staff love and new stories.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Atrium might just be what my current character needs.
Huzzah!
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Atrium lessons last a year, right?

There is no way to receive just one or two lessons, right?

I enjoyed what little interaction I've had with Atrium people, it is pretty sweet. I remember a student/teacher stealing ginka pies and other high-end sweets and selling them to the grocer.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

curiouser and curiouser...

Personally I think this is going to bring in a whole new level for standards (once again) which would be ideal.

kudos for all the staff collaboration on this one!
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Next on my want list: More assholes that do asshole properly.

Quote from: Cind on July 27, 2017, 03:59:12 AM

I don't know for sure, but I like to think everything in Allanak has its price. I remember a too-recent character trying to get music lessons from the Atrium, and the idea was at least entertained, for a time. But the Atrium is definitely high-society training, its not a school of separate skills.

I'm interested to see who they throw in, and with what documentation.

I remember a student/teacher stealing ginka pies and other high-end sweets and selling them to the grocer.

This sounds like an instance of OOC rule breaking. Just like loading up food from any other clan cook and selling it to a grocer would be a bad way to make money.

Quote from: Zenith on July 27, 2017, 06:05:17 PM
I remember a student/teacher stealing ginka pies and other high-end sweets and selling them to the grocer.

This sounds like an instance of OOC rule breaking. Just like loading up food from any other clan cook and selling it to a grocer would be a bad way to make money.

Sounds like stealing to me, which sounds a lot like a 'get tossed in the arena and have your brains spattered on the sands by a mul' offense.
3/21/16 Never Forget

I enjoyed what little interaction I've had with Atrium people, it is pretty sweet. I remember a student/teacher stealing ginka pies and other high-end sweets and selling them to the grocer.

This would be something to sort out with a Terash in game. Not everyone will be willing to cut the same deal and I like that about them.

As to the thievery, I'm personally in favor of the removal of a hand. It sends a great message. Then we could tattoo a ginka on the stump! I wouldn't want to limit us, though. There are so many good, fun punishments.

Quote from: Oryx on July 27, 2017, 09:26:58 PM
As to the thievery, I'm personally in favor of the removal of a hand. It sends a great message. Then we could tattoo a ginka on the stump! I wouldn't want to limit us, though. There are so many good, fun punishments.

I miss you so damned much.

Quote from: Miradus on July 27, 2017, 09:52:04 PM
Quote from: Oryx on July 27, 2017, 09:26:58 PM

I miss you so damned much.

Wherever you may be in the Known, I'll never forget the report/request when we discovered our shared enthusiasm for maiming.

Yet another time when I check the GDB to see that a really interesting role call finished a day ago  :-[

Really excited to see this up and running in game!

Always been a very 'meh' clan for me in regards to actual contribution to the game.

Looking forward to see if it's been changed to provide more than tea parties.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on August 03, 2017, 12:32:34 PM
Always been a very 'meh' clan for me in regards to actual contribution to the game.

For everything the T'zai Byn does for the combat of the game, Terash should do for the socializing. Not just tea parties and curtsies, but politics. Houses in power, how much reach the nobility has. How to make relationships, how to break them, how to appear as one thing, but be another.

The only struggle is that a Terashi Trainee doesnt have daily lessons like Byn Sparring, because every Aide provides something different. I hope that can change somehow!

Quote from: Riev on August 03, 2017, 12:36:53 PM
Quote from: Armaddict on August 03, 2017, 12:32:34 PM

For everything the T'zai Byn does for the combat of the game, Terash should do for the socializing. Not just tea parties and curtsies, but politics. Houses in power, how much reach the nobility has. How to make relationships, how to break them, how to appear as one thing, but be another.

The only struggle is that a Terashi Trainee doesnt have daily lessons like Byn Sparring, because every Aide provides something different. I hope that can change somehow!

That is certainly one way to see it.  Particularly if you think people need help on being more social, or that we're incredibly short on aides or that aides have too much to do and need proper training for it.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I've honestly felt that aides have actually too little to do, because its never been well defined. They should take meetings in place of their noble for anyone not of a high enough rank, they should make relationships and deals for their noble so that if an assassination needs to take place, its not the NOBLE asking for it. There's so much an aide can do, but each one, each noble, and each house is different.

If I meet a Terashi graduate and they're being nice to me, I'm assuming they want something, but I also assume whatever they want, they're going to make it very worthwhile for me to give it up. Knowing a trained aide to Nobility should open up a lot of doors. Free Byn training, discounted Kadian goods, someone who knows a spice dealer, whatever.

Aides are modern-day Fixers.

I've never Atrium'd, sadly, but the analogy with the Byn I think is more like this: while the Byn does give you big RPTs and combat training, the coolest part of it is that it forces PCs who would not normally interact with each other to interact with each other.  Hence, you get all sorts of petty in-fighting among the cute Runners, and after your year, well, most of your fellow Runners are dead, but those who aren't, share a year of storytelling together, a shared history you take with you, whether it is an enmity or a friendship.  That's great for a storytelling game.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Which is my hope; in the past, the Atrium didn't lead to most of that, and thus I'm interested to see what changes were implemented.

If it turns aides into an actual bridge between players-of-action (giving them meaningful things to do) and the social 'bloc', then it turns aides into at least a minor form of content creation.  If it's just something to do for people already set on being in the social 'bloc', then it's still meh.