Author Topic: San Francisco Bay Area - Roommate wanted  (Read 543 times)

ShaLeah

San Francisco Bay Area - Roommate wanted
« on: July 23, 2017, 10:59:45 PM »
Hey guys! Someone I know in the bay area is looking for a roommate.  His requirements are no children,  no straights,  no regular people.  If you're gainfully employed, aren't scared of late night parties, if you're weird and want cool,  funky roommates in an industrial loft kind of place, PM me, I'll put you in touch.
Quote from: Cenghiz
And ShaLeah's evil, by the way.
Quote from: Ourla
I would slather you in sin and roll you out the other side.

Yam

Re: San Francisco Bay Area - Roommate wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 11:12:17 PM »
Hey guys! Someone I know in the bay area is looking for a roommate.  His requirements are no children,  no straights,  no regular people.  If you're gainfully employed, aren't scared of late night parties, if you're weird and want cool,  funky roommates in an industrial loft kind of place, PM me, I'll put you in touch.

I think that it is against California law to state at least one of these preferences in an advertisement, even for a roomshare/roommate situation. If he's renting a room in a house/apartment that he also occupies, he's allowed to not select tenants for one of these reasons, just not to state it.

A bit fucky.

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 02:45:28 AM »
lol
Where it will go

Yam

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 02:50:18 AM »
http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/discrimination.shtml

Limited exceptions for single rooms and roommates

If the owner of an owner-occupied, single-family home rents out a room in the home to a roomer or a boarder, and there are no other roomers or boarders living in the household, the owner is not subject to the restrictions listed under "Examples of unlawful discrimination".

However, the owner cannot make oral or written statements, or use notices or advertisements which indicate any preference, limitation, or discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, familial status, source of income, or disability.47 Further, the owner cannot discriminate on the basis of medical condition or age.48

However since ShaLeah isn't the owner (or in California) I guess this passes?

BadSkeelz

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 04:21:43 AM »
Weird, funky roommates are the worst

Edited to be less mean to ShaLeah's friend. Knowing what I know of the SF Housing Market Im sure they won't find much trouble getting a roommate.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:25:49 AM by BadSkeelz »
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Riev

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 09:54:05 AM »
For a moment I thought ShaL had moved across the country, at which point I began doubting everything I knew.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

James de Monet

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 03:58:52 PM »
Incidentally, in CA, you can also get in a lot of trouble for discriminating against renters with children.  Not sure how the law is worded, but I know it happens.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Kalden

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 11:54:22 PM »
I live in San Francisco. I hear it's getting less strange but I'm sure he'll find a fit.

With that said, if I was going for the funky party lifestyle, I would look somewhere cheaper.

ShaLeah

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 01:00:06 PM »
Update:

He's still not found what he's looking for.

Melkor

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 01:16:19 PM »
His applicant pool is incredibly small. No straights means 95.1% of California is automatically disqualified (~36 million people). Roughly 1/4 of lgbt Californians are raising children.

Finding a stable, trustworthy, and cool roommate is quite a challenge, even before eliminating >96% of your state's population.

This same argument is made to people who do not want to room with one of the sexes, and thats only ~50%.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:19:24 PM by Melkor »
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bardbard#4

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 07:12:04 PM »
Sooooo...no straights. Huh. Is it weird that this rubs me the wrong way?
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

ShaLeah

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 09:57:18 PM »
No. I didn't find it weird until I posted about it here.

I take people how they are, I appreciate honesty. I wouldn't wanna force political correctness on someone looking for a roommate.  I think everyone has a right to get what they want, his honesty is going to avoid a whole lotta bullshit. Fucked up as it may be.

Grapes

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 10:11:54 PM »
I think with an informal query such as this it's not a matter of law. I could be wrong, but even if I am, I don't think it should be.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Kalden

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 02:16:14 AM »
I think Yam is probably correct about this being legal since ShaLeah is not the owner. If the owner was posting, I think it would clearly be illegal under the laws cited earlier.

Still living in San Francisco, and surprised he hasn't found anyone. I've got a few gay (male) friends, but - perhaps surprising and maybe a bit unusual - they seem less focused on the party / hookup culture.

Personally I can understand wanting to find a roommate up for living a similar lifestyle. Makes perfect sense.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 02:19:20 AM by Kalden »