Author Topic: Do you live in a bubble?  (Read 2108 times)

boog

Re: Do you live in a bubble?
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2017, 09:22:19 PM »
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Rhyden

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2017, 09:23:54 PM »
Quote from: Malifaxis
One thing I'd like to see in arm is more people focusing on how to make the game intriguing, by filling
it with murder, betrayal, and corruption, instead of arguing about how combat isn't powerful enough.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2017, 09:26:56 PM »

prole cred shattered >:(

All great revolutions  were led by disgruntled middle class types (US, France, Russia, Cambodia, etc) so don't feel too bad. You can still be the Vanguard and convince the proles to do your bidding even if it's not in their interest.

That's actually the key to getting anything accomplished. Works well for the GOP.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2017, 09:34:32 PM »
What does it mean if you grew up super rural but now you're a city slicker and turn your nose up at Golden Corral?

what does it meeeaaaaaan
"Our whole lives are just stories." - Vikings

you've seen more than they could ever know
no matter what they say, you've earned the right to be so bold

BadSkeelz

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2017, 09:38:54 PM »
What does it mean if you grew up super rural but now you're a city slicker and turn your nose up at Golden Corral?

what does it meeeaaaaaan

You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

boog

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2017, 09:42:56 PM »
I like going to GC, if only for their fondue machine. Yum, strawberries and pineapple in chocolate that I could just make at home buuuuut... I also like watching granny shuffle to the buffet with her walker for fourths.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

gotdamnmiracle

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2017, 01:16:31 AM »
56. Seems about fair.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2017, 01:23:58 AM »

Some of the questions were down right weird.

solera

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2017, 01:39:18 AM »
52 (foreigner)

Melkor

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2017, 02:07:01 AM »
what does it meeeaaaaaan
The study addresses that.
"If you grew up in a working-class neighborhood, you are going to have a high score even if you are now an investment banker living on Park Avenue. Your present life may be completely encased in the bubble, but you brought a lot of experience into the bubble that will always be part of your understanding of the world."

According to the study's author, Charles Murray, blacks are too cognitively inferior to do anything so you're probably safe to ignore them.

Got a source for that?

Charles Murray is a favorite of the right wing that is upset that WASP manly men no longer get 100% of the the privileges in this country. Scoring low on the quiz means that you probably (but not necessarily!) belong to that same tribe. This thread's OP views that tribal membership as a badge of honor, I guess?

Got a source for that?

I've already stated this, but I will again for good measure. This quiz is not to determine right or wrong, good or bad. It is merely to determine if you can relate or understand a large portion of your countrymen.  The simple fact that it elicited opposition, or even ire from some people illustrates the legitimacy of this lack of understanding (living in a bubble).

The purpose of this is to acknowledge one's blind-spots, and maybe take efforts to eliminate them.

Imagine if this test existed, but on a metric of how much you understood the plight of the lower-class in India. I imagine I would not have a great understanding of their culture. Imagine how ridiculous it would be if I, upon receiving a score which demonstrated my isolation from and lack of understanding of said people, immediately called into question the legitimacy of the test, the author, and even questioned the value of the people regarded in the test... I would look pretty stupid.

o_o
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:10:33 AM by Melkor »
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

WanderingOoze

« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2017, 02:45:20 AM »
I don't know what the point of any of this is. But I like taking random quizzes.  I got a 67.
The Ooze is strong with this one

You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

boog

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2017, 02:54:09 AM »
I don't think the reaction to this means people are in a bubble. But, it does serve as a sort of example, a parable, as to why the left can't convert the right too often to their viewpoints.
There is only one boog.

Melkor

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2017, 03:07:47 AM »
Lmao. More like, why people in general have a hard time of convincing others to see their side of the coin.

Yam

« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2017, 03:09:51 AM »
I guess the moral of the story here is we should all check our privilege.

What'd you score btw melkor?

Melkor

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2017, 03:11:56 AM »
LOL. I cant tell if you said that in jest or not..

My score was in my first post. 76.

Yam

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2017, 03:21:54 AM »
Didn't see it.

How do you propose we re-educate the bourgeoisie?

Melkor

« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2017, 03:32:17 AM »
Funny.

Yam

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2017, 04:04:58 AM »
You're dipping your toe in identity politics. It's the logical next step.

We'll make a Marxist out of you yet, tovarisch.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2017, 04:18:44 AM »
According to the study's author, Charles Murray, blacks are too cognitively inferior to do anything so you're probably safe to ignore them.

Got a source for that?

Charles Murray is a favorite of the right wing that is upset that WASP manly men no longer get 100% of the the privileges in this country. Scoring low on the quiz means that you probably (but not necessarily!) belong to that same tribe. This thread's OP views that tribal membership as a badge of honor, I guess?

Got a source for that?

First clued in by references in the article I linked. Too lazy to go looking through his own writings for primary sources but the Southern Poverty Law Center isn't too keen on him.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/individual/charles-murray

I think Mr. Murray can put together an internet quiz, which can get people to click boxes, which in turn creates numbers, but I'm very suspect of any sort of analysis he would apply or even his selection process or definitions he provides. Sounds like he already believes white men are superior and will jump through the usual pseudoscientific hoops to prove it.

Sayyadina

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2017, 08:28:27 AM »
what does it meeeaaaaaan
The study addresses that.
"If you grew up in a working-class neighborhood, you are going to have a high score even if you are now an investment banker living on Park Avenue. Your present life may be completely encased in the bubble, but you brought a lot of experience into the bubble that will always be part of your understanding of the world."

Got a source for that?

Got a source for that?

I've already stated this, but I will again for good measure. This quiz is not to determine right or wrong, good or bad. It is merely to determine if you can relate or understand a large portion of your countrymen.  The simple fact that it elicited opposition, or even ire from some people illustrates the legitimacy of this lack of understanding (living in a bubble).

The purpose of this is to acknowledge one's blind-spots, and maybe take efforts to eliminate them.

Imagine if this test existed, but on a metric of how much you understood the plight of the lower-class in India. I imagine I would not have a great understanding of their culture. Imagine how ridiculous it would be if I, upon receiving a score which demonstrated my isolation from and lack of understanding of said people, immediately called into question the legitimacy of the test, the author, and even questioned the value of the people regarded in the test... I would look pretty stupid.

o_o

It's hilarious to me that the right wing constantly tries to coopt left wing language about open mindedness. Melkor is trying the same thing here by trying to belittle others for not being up to date on the vagaries of white rural American culture. Yet in the same thread he betrays himself by showing how he lives in his own bubble, because he's ignorant of who Charles Murray is and what he stands for.

It's okay to be ignorant of various cultures. There are too many cultures and sub-cultures out there for anybody to be up to date on ALL of them. But IMO what isn't okay is to whine about others being ignorant of your own culture and then acting proudly ignorant of others' cultures.
“No more should you doubt this, my prince – my sisters and I shall not wait ten-and-seven years for our vengeance.”

--Lady Nymeria Sand, A Feast for Crows

TheGoose

« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2017, 08:48:08 AM »
60. But this test is kind of leading. A lot of stereotyping, very little substance.

Riev

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2017, 10:09:51 AM »
I'm still laughing about anyone taking an online quiz, from PBS or not, and applying any sort of theory to it.

I trust the Myers-Briggs more than someone's click-bait quiz.

Does this quiz have any validity outside the author's own musings? Where is the internal consistency when the main 5 'score groups' overlap so heavily?

Why does scoring high mean you "relate" better to a "majority" of anyone? Because it says so?
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

James de Monet

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2017, 10:52:00 AM »
The language is problematic, as it reads perjorative (as someone already pointed out), but it seems to me that the author's intent was to explain a Trump victory since there were so many who didn't understand it.  The lower your score, the more you live "in a bubble" (echo chamber, isolated from 'mainstream' Americans, etc) and therefore the more likely you are to be surprised by the outcome of the Presidential election.

I could be giving him more credit than he deserves, but the way the questions are phrased doesn't necessarily elevate one American culture over another, it could be simply intended to illustrate how connected/aware you are to/of the most predominant culture, i.e. the one that did a lot of voting recently.

I got a 38.  I think living in California nets you like a straight 20-point reduction, Skeelz, because the culture he's referencing is (I believe) in the minority here.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Melkor

« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2017, 12:17:50 PM »
Yam- When in Rome.

Skeels- SPLC? The ones who called the "Feelsgooodman" frog the next swastika? The FBI stopped acknowledging their research as legitimate 3 years ago.  http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/28/editorial-the-fbi-dumps-a-hate-group/

Sayyadina- Please, show me "belittling" people in this thread. We all have blind spots, Dina; since it seems so blatantly obvious to you that I live in a bubble, tell me what exactly, are mine? Hispanic culture? I spent 3 months in South America, and have a half-Peruvian little brother. Black culture? Lived in a Ft. Pierce ghetto. Asian culture? Half of my family (read: 5 people) are Filipino, and I lived in the Philippines for 3 months. Liberal culture? my closest brother is a Neuroscientist and lives in DC, Super liberal. I will concede that I cannot relate to how the wealthy live, and I do harbor resentment to people who are born with money, but that is irrational on my part, and I would never let it dictate my judgement.
Last, but not least. Please show me whining in this thread about people being ignorant of my culture.

Riev- Laughing? So, you contend that absolutely nothing can be gained from this test, or the experience of taking it?

JDM- I lived the first half of my life in California. Rural California, but still. Perhaps you meant to say metropolitan Ca?

Goose- In what way?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:25:58 PM by Melkor »

Riev

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2017, 12:29:42 PM »
Hello, Melkor. Please don't put words in my mouth.

What I asked was whether this test has any validity or consistency. Without them, its a Buzzfeed test with a few more tenuous facts behind it.

Is there "absolutely nothing" to be gained from taking a test? No. It was entertaining. But there is a reason surveys have to go through many iterations and lots of testing before they can be considered valid.

I'll write you test that, in the end, says that you're really a posh Mexican guy, but that doesn't mean it has any real validity.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.