Author Topic: Do you live in a bubble?  (Read 2079 times)

Case

• Helper
Re: Do you live in a bubble?
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2017, 11:11:13 PM »
58 and I'm not even American

Does this mean I'm actually in the America bubble

Case

• Helper
« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2017, 11:18:45 PM »
Phew crisis averted

I found if I went to TGI Fridays -50 times I could score -81

ghanima

« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2017, 04:51:57 AM »
I think you give the right wing too much credit. Their rhetoric about states' rights is the rhetoric of losers. They couldn't win at a federal level so they retreated to the states. If they could have spread slavery across the US at the federal level they would have done so and then they never would have bothered to cook up the BS issue of states' rights.

It's the same with a whole host of other issues these days. They claim that the smallest and most local government knows best, but that's BS because at the state level they're quite happy to override municipalities on a giant range of issues: gay rights, immigrant rights, gun safety, and even plastic bags in stores.

Though I suspect you wish to be seen as an open minded, liberal and understanding person, you are basically damning an entire political spectrum and all the many different peoples that that includes. One's political stances often fall down more to psychology than what is truly right or wrong. I think Johnathan Haidt sums this up pretty nicely in his video about:

Through your arguments, you are basically saying that every conservative person is wrong without understanding the psychology that brought you to your own, personal political stance in the first place (let alone theirs). For the moment, I'll leave my political position out of this post but I will say that if I were a conservative I would not immediately damn each and every liberal simply for being liberal, and if I were a liberal I would not immediately damn each and every conservative for simply being conservative. I wish you would do the same.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 04:54:29 AM by ghanima »

ghanima

« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2017, 05:09:29 AM »
Also I scored a 43.

Sayyadina

« Reply #154 on: July 21, 2017, 08:21:21 AM »
I think you give the right wing too much credit. Their rhetoric about states' rights is the rhetoric of losers. They couldn't win at a federal level so they retreated to the states. If they could have spread slavery across the US at the federal level they would have done so and then they never would have bothered to cook up the BS issue of states' rights.

It's the same with a whole host of other issues these days. They claim that the smallest and most local government knows best, but that's BS because at the state level they're quite happy to override municipalities on a giant range of issues: gay rights, immigrant rights, gun safety, and even plastic bags in stores.

Though I suspect you wish to be seen as an open minded, liberal and understanding person, you are basically damning an entire political spectrum and all the many different peoples that that includes. One's political stances often fall down more to psychology than what is truly right or wrong. I think Johnathan Haidt sums this up pretty nicely in his video about:
<video>

Through your arguments, you are basically saying that every conservative person is wrong without understanding the psychology that brought you to your own, personal political stance in the first place (let alone theirs). For the moment, I'll leave my political position out of this post but I will say that if I were a conservative I would not immediately damn each and every liberal simply for being liberal, and if I were a liberal I would not immediately damn each and every conservative for simply being conservative. I wish you would do the same.

1. I don't really care how I'm viewed.
2. My observations that you quoted above are in regards to elected conservatives. Elected right wingers say one thing: "Democrats are the party of BIG GOVERNMENT, which is evil. We want to stop the evil big government from telling the good local governments what to do." Then conservatives gain power and they do the opposite. It's a pretty simple observation and you're welcome to dispute my assertion on the merits.
3. Regarding your hypothetical: If you were an elected conservative and you did not immediately damn each and every liberal simply for being liberal then you'd not be welcome as an elected member of the conservative party. That's literally why the long serving Senator Richard Lugar was destroyed in a primary by a super right wing asshole in Indiana. FYI, the guy that defeated Lugar said that his idea of bipartisan compromise is for Democrats to do what conservatives want.

ETA:
4. If your point is to make the argument that, as a matter of mass politics, leftists shouldn't write off conservative voters then yah, I agree 100%. However, debating approaches that the Left should adopt to appeal to white rural male voters would be a different thread, I think.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:32:34 AM by Sayyadina »
“No more should you doubt this, my prince – my sisters and I shall not wait ten-and-seven years for our vengeance.”

--Lady Nymeria Sand, A Feast for Crows

Melkor

« Reply #155 on: July 21, 2017, 11:34:17 AM »
What about Female voters of the same demographic? Are they irrelevant?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Sayyadina

« Reply #156 on: July 21, 2017, 01:08:04 PM »
What about Female voters of the same demographic? Are they irrelevant?

Not according to the quiz you linked. But since you asked, I happen to think female voters everywhere are very important.
“No more should you doubt this, my prince – my sisters and I shall not wait ten-and-seven years for our vengeance.”

--Lady Nymeria Sand, A Feast for Crows

lordcooper

« Reply #157 on: July 22, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »
63, translating the questions to UK terms as closely as possible .

I guess living in a small village and being dragged out to see shit films on occasion makes me a bit of a redneck?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #158 on: July 22, 2017, 07:54:47 PM »
63, translating the questions to UK terms as closely as possible .

I guess living in a small village and being dragged out to see shit films on occasion makes me a bit of a redneck?

Not enough sun in the UK to acquire a red neck
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.