Author Topic: Do you live in a bubble?  (Read 3226 times)

Melkor

Do you live in a bubble?
« on: July 18, 2017, 04:27:23 AM »
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/do-you-live-in-a-bubble-a-quiz-2/

Remember, the test only matters if you are honest.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Rathustra

• Administrator
Re: Do you live in a bubble?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 05:46:12 AM »
33, answering as best I can given I'm from the UK. I'm from a very working class area (and still live there) and I think my low score is mostly due to cultural differences, or the emphasis on TV - which is rapidly becoming associated with older people.

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 07:29:42 AM »
Where it will go

Refugee

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 08:37:22 AM »

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 09:10:45 AM »
I took this test before, I got a 71 or 72, I can't recall exactly. But I grew up in a very rural area, so.
do you remember
when you were young and you wanted to set the world on fire?

Riev

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 09:22:27 AM »
50, putting me just over the average and median.

I think most of it comes from average TV watching habits PER THE SURVEY (because there are other shows I watch with much more regularity). I also grew up just the other side of poor, in a rural town that doesn't have its own zip code among people who generally worked at one of the three big factories in the area.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

mansa

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 09:25:21 AM »

There is no iHOP in Canada.   What lies from the INTERNATIONAL house of pancakes.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 09:40:16 AM »

prole cred shattered >:(
"You know you've been playing too much Armageddon when you overhear one co-worker say to another, 'Grab your hat and let's go for a walk outside,' and you have this sinking feeling like someone's not coming back from that chat." - Gimfalisette

Riev

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 09:41:17 AM »

There is no iHOP in Canada.   What lies from the INTERNATIONAL house of pancakes.

This surely can't be true, as when I was younger (when you didn't need a passport to go to Canada for the day), we drove from NH to Canada because it was the closest IHOP open at 6am after a night of drinking.

mansa

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 09:46:30 AM »

This surely can't be true, as when I was younger (when you didn't need a passport to go to Canada for the day), we drove from NH to Canada because it was the closest IHOP open at 6am after a night of drinking.

Doing a google search shows that there's none in downtown Canada so that's all that matters.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Barzalene

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 10:54:19 AM »
Pretty solidly in a bubble. 40.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Riev

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 10:59:29 AM »
Pretty solidly in a bubble. 40.

That was the average score, though. So you're not as solidly in a bubble as, say, Brytta.

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 01:13:40 PM »
Why do modern sites make things that don't display properly on common smart phones? Clearly PBS needs more funding.

Melkor

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 01:39:08 PM »
33, answering as best I can given I'm from the UK. I'm from a very working class area (and still live there) and I think my low score is mostly due to cultural differences, or the emphasis on TV - which is rapidly becoming associated with older people.

For sure, your results were skewed by cultural differences, though TV could not have accounted for the bulk of it. I checked 2 movies and no tv shows.

Though, off the top of my head, I am fairly certain the military insignia would be foreign to you, where growing up in a military household, I recognized all of them, but I doubt I would recognize foreign military insignia.

Pale Horse

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 01:40:17 PM »
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 01:59:15 PM »

The creator seems to think "American Culture" is "Midwestern".

Also do Mormons count as Evangelical Christians?
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 02:01:05 PM »

Though, what's the take away from all this?  The term "bubble" has negative connotations of being out of touch.  Am I simply supposed to be aware of the bubble or am I supposed to eat at IHOP, drink PBR, and watch NASCAR to be a better person?

BadSkeelz

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 02:03:10 PM »
I think it's about proving which bubble is the "correct" bubble. A bubble of California silicon valley pinkos is wrong, but a bubble of Bud-swilling Applebee-dwelling shambling white heaps in St. Paul is correct.
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Melkor

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 02:10:41 PM »
It is not about being correct or incorrect, it is about being in touch with the majority of Americans or not.

When people espouse theirs as "American Values," if you go by the numbers, those who scored low are actually inaccurate to do so.

edited to add: Yeah, Mormons are Christians.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:16:18 PM by Melkor »

nessalin

• Board Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 02:15:30 PM »
It is not about being correct or incorrect, it is about being in touch with the majority of Americans or not.

When people espouse theirs as "American Values," if you go by the numbers, those who scored low are actually inaccurate to do so.

To be fair, the article states at least twice that it is about average white America.

Melkor

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 02:16:48 PM »
Which is the vast majority. What point are you trying to make?

Marauder Moe

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 02:20:05 PM »
Is it?  Anyone got links to statistics?

BadSkeelz

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 02:20:12 PM »

ergo there's a correct bubble where you are in touch with the "majority", however that's defined. You're probably best off defining the majority by television-viewing habits (god help us) or maybe religious inclinations (Although Catholics are the largest single faith in the country IIRC) than economic criteria. I don't think we've had a proper blue-collar factory-working mob-funding union-paying majority (or even plurality) since the 70s.

Or the idea of a "majority" or "mainstream America" is in fact bullshit, a fictional construct that does not actually exist but which we've found useful to believe in at various times in various forms.

Counterpoint essay from the same website:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/column-mainstream-america-doesnt-actually-exist/

BadSkeelz

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »

I think Whites actually lost their plurality recently (or are well on their way to losing it, oh noooooooo). edit: maybe it was just our outright Majority and we now have just a plurality

Also Mormons are Christians (I guess) but are they Evangelical? I would assume so based on them believing the Book of Mormon but I'm not sure if they treat the Old and New Testaments with the same source of historicity.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:25:24 PM by BadSkeelz »

Marauder Moe

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 02:25:49 PM »
Even the data from that survey puts the mean at 40, with the average middle-class and working-class scores (66 and 77) well towards the outside.