This is a two-part question.

Started by Oryx, July 09, 2017, 10:06:30 PM

ALA was great. It was the terrorist organization that a lot of people try to emulate in small unsuccessful bursts now; unsuccessful because it was a static, staffed presence that you couldn't destroy, like the Guild. Their existence gave elven power a real place, and added to, as you noted, a much less secure and safe in-city presence. I liked it a lot, despite the paradox of an acronym in an illiterate society.

Fun note was that they weren't a tribe, per se. They were tied into most elven tribes, making plenty of in-clan intrigue as well, but also a unified front at ending oppression of elven society. Or, at least, punishment for it.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Oryx on July 09, 2017, 10:46:12 PM
...how the spiders were battled back in the Commoner's quarter...

Fun times. I remember my character finally finding the nest, and a Tek-brought vision (?!?) let me know that I shouldn't kick in the door with a few friends.

There are patriots, and then there are fervent true believers willing to cast down their lives (and yours!) for their god-king.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Armaddict on July 11, 2017, 10:16:41 PM
ALA was great. It was the terrorist organization that a lot of people try to emulate in small unsuccessful bursts now; unsuccessful because it was a static, staffed presence that you couldn't destroy, like the Guild. Their existence gave elven power a real place, and added to, as you noted, a much less secure and safe in-city presence. I liked it a lot, despite the paradox of an acronym in an illiterate society.

Fun note was that they weren't a tribe, per se. They were tied into most elven tribes, making plenty of in-clan intrigue as well, but also a unified front at ending oppression of elven society. Or, at least, punishment for it.

The end of the ALA marked the end of an era of "OMGWTF" PC:PC interaction for new players. It was certainly not the only influence but when it was gone, things stopped being as hard-core. The Kuraci Archives under Sargax were also twisted and uber-intriguing but because that sub-clan was a secret and the general populace didn't know a) it existed and b) who belonged to it, it didn't have the same kind of impact that the ALA had.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Most of my favorite history is stories about the Templars, and past actions of PCs. I really like to ask older PCs about which statue is of who, and get some fun answers. As for places, I think that the Red's Retreat and Gaj likely are the best places for a newbie to find people in general who can point them in many directions. Also knowing where the Bazaar is can be important, as well as the Temple at Meleth's.

Its always tickled me that, despite losing their entire estate to a gith attack, and a Black Robe deciding the grounds needed to be sunk into the lava, Borsail has generally remained as the Premiere House of Allanak almost solely based on the fact that they have the best experience with slaves.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: TheGoose on July 11, 2017, 05:43:30 PM
I know absolutely nothing about Allanak's history, except for the fact of three(?) wars with Tuluk. The rest is hardcore hidden from new players, or seems to be.

http://www.armageddon.org/world/chronology.php
For you, good sir.

For the rest of you, thank you very much. I have what I needed, so I hope you won't think me heavy handed now when I close this thread. I truly appreciate those of you who took the time to weigh in.