Ride and Stamina

Started by FantasyWriter, July 05, 2017, 01:21:12 PM

July 05, 2017, 01:21:12 PM Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:23:10 PM by FantasyWriter
THis was talked about years ago, and I think it could use a rehash...

If you are fresh out of bed, fully fed, and ready to take on the world, Riding can be a tiring endeavor.
If you are beat the feck up, worn out, and labor-weary, it can be an restful experience.

I would like to see a ride take a rider to somewhere between 50% and 85% of their stamina based on ride skill, weather conditions, and whether it was road/off-road travel.  If they started the ride at 100% it would tick down to whatever number the skill/conditions lead to.  If they started at 1mv, it would tick up to whatever number the skill/conditions would lead to.

Aside form realism, I think this would reduce the amount of spam-riding from city A to outpost Z without cause for rest stops, and create more raiding/interaction opportunities between different groups and staff/world interaction for groups, etc.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Seal of approval.  More ride stuff.  More wilderness stuff.  More danger stuff.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

+1
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

July 05, 2017, 02:42:26 PM #3 Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:46:29 PM by Lizzie
I agree with this idea!

Also with regards to yesterday's code change:
Quote- Change to stables: When mounts are stabled they aren't rested until three IC hours pass.

I really LOVE that there's now a wait time post-stabling. However - for playability's sake, I'd be even more in favor of it if it were 1 or 2 IC hours. Or perhaps - 1-2 IC hours for "bred" mounts and 3 hours for "wild but tamed" mounts. Since bred mounts are raised for the corral and would likely find the environment much more restful than an animal that was wild and then tamed.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I like the idea and the spirit of the suggestion, but its not going to make anyone "stop short" of their destination because their stamina is at 80%. I don't particularly mind the idea of it going to a 70% max stamina level but I don't think it'll do what you think.

Mounts will have the same amount of stamina, and reach the same amount of rooms. It'll just mean if you started the day at 100%, go on a ride, and your mount dies or you lose it somehow, you have slightly less stamina to "escape" from whatever happened.

I like that you want to have more necessary rest stops (and why someone hasn't turned certain over-turned wagons into a bar with water, I don't know!), and I agree with that, but I don't necessarily think this change would DO that.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I agree in part. I think it should be tiring, to a point. I like the band mentioned, though I'm not married to it.

However, I don't think you should gain much if any stamina from riding. Maybe if you're flat out tired enough you can't walk you should get a few points, but a long ride is always a tiring thing - even if it feels good to get off your feet at first.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

If the goal was 'more necessary rest stops,' you'd have to have each room doing something like draining 1 stamina even when you're mounted.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on July 06, 2017, 08:00:51 AM
If the goal was 'more necessary rest stops,' you'd have to have each room doing something like draining 1 stamina even when you're mounted.

Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2