Author Topic: Getting More People to Play (City) Elves  (Read 5518 times)

number13

Re: Getting More People to Play (City) Elves
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2017, 10:10:53 PM »
I remember the elfy vendor. I also remember having to join a clan to get access to it, and that getting membership required a staff member to give a couple of us some fun plot stuff to do before it could happen...and that my character died horribly to a twinked out [redacted] a couple RL days after the staff member went to all that trouble.

It should just be a vendor who sells and buys stuff from elves that other players might want, so that c-elves can fulfill the role of black market merchants. The point isn't get bloodburn on every elf blade, but to give them a in-road for interacting with the rest of Allanak in a fun way.

lostinspace

« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2017, 07:22:36 PM »
Shit, just let the elves have bloodburn on every blade, still not as scary as a dwarf with a hammer.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Dar

« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2017, 07:52:32 PM »
Getting taints and contraband etc. is one of the more enjoyable things to do with an elf.  I think an NPC vendor would ruin that part.  That said, perhaps a little /easier/ (OOCly) access to the tablelands / Red Storm might encourage more elfs-are-black-market opportunities with PCs.  Imagine an elf-only tunnel to Red Storm or the Tablelands?  Trading with your long lost cousins the SRs for taints and booze... Being an asset to the spice trade...

That doesnt compute.

Getting taints/contraband with a race that's not supposed to leave the city in any way.  The only way they're doing the getting that contraband is by dealing with Delves (when they're not turf bound), breeds, or other humans. While I do enjoy the aspect of wheeling and dealing, I find it a little ... counterproductive to claim that Celves are expert contrabandists. They're the contrabandists main customers. Not other way around.

Vex

« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2017, 04:33:45 PM »
Getting taints/contraband with a race that's not supposed to leave the city in any way.  The only way they're doing the getting that contraband is by dealing with Delves (when they're not turf bound), breeds, or other humans.

Maybe, I'm mistaken, but I don't see where this is said in the documents.
"Mortals do drown so."

number13

« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2017, 12:46:11 AM »
Getting taints/contraband with a race that's not supposed to leave the city in any way.  The only way they're doing the getting that contraband is by dealing with Delves (when they're not turf bound), breeds, or other humans.

Maybe, I'm mistaken, but I don't see where this is said in the documents.

C-elves can leave the cities, but they're not allowed to ride mounts or wagons, for the silly reason that they have too much pride in their running ability.

The joke being, unlike d-elves, c-elves have no running ability. So they walk around the desert, which is possible, but a dangerous and annoying to have to stop and rest.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:49:12 AM by number13 »

Dar

« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2017, 03:18:55 AM »
I've been absent from the game way too long to recall. But I've had 'corrective' commentary made to me by staff when my Celves were wondering aimlessly through the sands.

I'd love a staffer input on this.  I dont mind inability to ride, I love the less then pique physical state of a celf. But is it normal for a Celf to wonder around the wilderness? I always understood it that Delves felt great debilitating unease inside the cities and Celves felt great debilitating unease outside of cities.

Armaddict

« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2017, 03:32:01 AM »
I've seen plenty of city elves outside the gates.  It's never been made a definitive 'no go' for me, and I think it would be silly to say it that way.

The fact of the matter is, there's nothing about them that excels out there.  It's already a fish out of water.  A 'you shouldn't even be there' would just be both excessive and overcontrolling.

I got to play a city elf that was utterly flabberghasted by the sight of the walls from the outside.  That was fun.  I don't think it's 'normal' for them to be there, but I don't think it's something needing a hardline 'DAS IST VERBOTEN' either.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Hauwke

« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2017, 03:37:03 AM »
Ive had that explained away by C-elves having developed Agoraphobia by someone one time, I forget who though. Its a little wierd to say they all have it, but eh.

Bushranger

« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2017, 04:17:09 AM »
There is a habit of people pushing things to the very extremes and saying that's how it should be done.

• ALL Humans should treat ALL Elves as the WORST scum and shun them at all costs!
  • EVERYONE should treat ALL Gemmed as the WORST scum and shun them at all costs!
  • ALL City Elves exist solely in the City and NEVER leave!

I find this unfortunate as nothing is ever this. People secretly seek out gemmed services - it's even written about in the room descriptions of a certain temple. Some humans have worked with some elves - elves even have tests of loyalty for humans, dwarves and even half-elves. Some city elves do leave the city - they join the T'zai Byn, they slip out to scavenge from the dead near the city wall or steal from the nearby farms. I don't think everyone should go to the extremes with every character but should rather take these as the normative guidelines.

Specifically regarding City Elf leaving the city: The desert is as fearsome to them as it is to any other race who has lived their entire life in the city. They've heard the animals, raiders and monsters who kill. They'e heard the description of the bleak, dry landscape with nary a wall to hide behind or a pocket to pick! They've also heard that there are other cities/towns and some brave or lucky people have managed to get to them.
Quote from: Morgenes
Ya..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.
Quote from: Eukelade
Now I'm starving -1 karma Bushranger -1 karma.
Quote from: Shalooonsh
Kudos to you bushranger for confusing staff.

Miradus

« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2017, 08:44:48 AM »

There are already plenty of limitations on city elves. Can't ride means their mobility outside of cities is pretty limited. If one of them manages to walk his way out into the grasslands to live in a cave and arouse gick suspicion as well as the base elf suspicion, then let them do it. Not enough of them are going to do it to ever be a problem and the odd one or two who might would be just interesting deviations from the norm.

Last thing we need is MORE restrictions on roleplay for any character type.

Riev

« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2017, 07:20:14 PM »
An elf being outside the city is fine.

An elf being outside the city acting as a hunter is fine.

An elf being outside the city because they rolled elf assassin and thats the 'easier' way to skill up, and they don't even have an ability to skin, nor are producing any reason to have GONE outside? Thats a paddlin'.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

daiden

« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2017, 02:29:56 PM »
Just popped in here to say that this was a really fun read with a lot of really great discussion. Even if I wasn't enthralled with the city elf plight before now, I would be. :D (added smiley to indicate sincerity)

I love the struggle. I come from a lifetime of cyberpunk street level gaming where the system is basically built against you. It makes any sort of accomplishment that much more rewarding.

650Booger

« Reply #137 on: November 25, 2017, 06:13:57 PM »
city elves are gnarcore.  everything else is just carebear stares  0.o

also nice necro-bump, I liked this thread too. 
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Grapes

« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2017, 06:57:14 PM »
Go city elf or go home.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.