Gaspys.

Started by Riev, May 31, 2017, 03:37:53 PM

Quote from: John on June 02, 2017, 12:55:39 AM
Thanks for the responses. My ultimate point was: sometimes things are cool even if they don't belong. Often times their removal will mean the game is less for it (e.g. flashpowder. So cool and so disappointed I never got to play with it)

I understand that for some, things can be a bit jarring (like lensed sunslits, because how do we make lenses, etc). But I feel like coming up with a Zalanthan term for something that is iconic to Western culture isn't a terrible thing. I think "gaspy" is a funny word that means nothing, and I totally understand why we can't have "chalton cord-long subs", but sometimes it goes too far.

Horses exist. They're just rare and not acclimated to desert life like beetles are, etc.

Flashpower, though... the skill that involved it was volatile, and I imagine every couple months someone would twink-master the relevant skill and start trying to create thrown bombs, or terrorist-bomb buildings. In a game where its supposed to be difficult to make lasting change (low fantasy), it put too much power in a 0-karma mundane class (imo).

On topic - If Gaspys were meant to be an allanaki staple, shouldn't there be more?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Like a lot of things in Arm, if it's player driven, when that player dies then the thing dies. Sometimes a couple of others will pick up the ball and run with it for a time, but most things rely on the enthusiasm of a couple of players to become part of the continuity of the game.

Quote from: Riev on June 02, 2017, 09:24:02 AMIn a game where its supposed to be difficult to make lasting change (low fantasy)
That is such a non-sequitor and I don't even know how to respond. There is nothing about "low fantasy" that equals "player's can't have lasting impact on the game world unless they're sponsored/got lots of karma".

June 02, 2017, 06:08:36 PM #28 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:05:08 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on June 02, 2017, 06:08:36 PM
Quote from: John on June 02, 2017, 05:01:43 PM
Quote from: Riev on June 02, 2017, 09:24:02 AMIn a game where its supposed to be difficult to make lasting change (low fantasy)
That is such a non-sequitor and I don't even know how to respond. There is nothing about "low fantasy" that equals "player's can't have lasting impact on the game world unless they're sponsored/got lots of karma".

When we're talking "low fantasy", are we talking about low magick? Or something else?

Its a conversation for another thread, but typically low-fantasy means you aren't the world-changing legends, you're the dirt-poor trying-to-make-it common man who might rise up in station but he'll always be outmatched.

Low Magick is more about no full wizards and sorcerors flitting around dimensions, but instead its more localized and "mysterious"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

This thread seems to be derailing from the topic at hand, maybe this new conversation could move to a new thread?

June 03, 2017, 11:55:23 AM #31 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:05:01 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA