MUDing From Work

Started by FantasyWriter, May 30, 2017, 10:03:43 AM

I would like to be able to play on my lunch break.

I cannot download any software and the FMUD client on the website times will not connect...

Trying to connect to armageddon.org:4050
Unable to connect: security error.

Any tips/suggestions?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I use http://anyterm.org from work. However it's bare telnet with no scrollback. Definitely not for everyone's taste. But it's the only thing I've found that works.

Do you pay the yearly fee, or is there a free way to use it without having to download and run an .exe?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Grebber - One who grebs.

I use MudPortal.

http://www.mudportal.com/play?host=ginka.armageddon.org&port=4050&name=ArmageddonMUD

Its not AMAZING, but it definitely works for me.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on May 30, 2017, 10:03:43 AM
I would like to be able to play on my lunch break.

I cannot download any software and the FMUD client on the website times will not connect...

Trying to connect to armageddon.org:4050
Unable to connect: security error.

Any tips/suggestions?

Also I FEEL like the security error on the website client has been there ever since the change to https, but I think SO FEW PEOPLE use the webclient that nobody has noticed or bothered to report it.

I mud from work (on breaks) on my phone with the blowtorch app.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

I use mukluk on my phone.  A few months ago I conducted an entire RPT using voice-to-text on my phone from inside the bowels of a sewage treatment plant.  I think it went well for the most part, too.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

No shit? How does that work with emote commands and whatnot?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Quote from: 650Booger on May 30, 2017, 12:50:51 PM
...I conducted an entire RPT... from inside the bowels of a sewage treatment plant.

Quote from: Melkor on May 30, 2017, 01:29:32 PM
No shit?

Quote from: Melkor on May 30, 2017, 01:29:32 PM
No shit? How does that work with emote commands and whatnot?

I'll type em on the phone keyboard, then hit the voice button and say the emote.  it understands punctuation, like if you say comma, exclamation point, etc.

the hard part is keeping up with spammed text.  mukluk isnt very good at scrolling backwards.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

I use Mudmaster and Pocketmud on my phone and I use Lensdroid on my tablet, only when hell freezes over.
I thought my demons were almost defeated, but you took their side and you pulled them to freedom.

type em

strongly walks across the room comma chin high in the air comma giving till-day amos atsign apostrophe s attention

I use mushclient, which has a no-install version. I just throw that on a flash drive and I can play Armageddon on any machine with a USB port and unblocked telnet ports.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: 650Booger on May 30, 2017, 12:50:51 PM
I use mukluk on my phone.  A few months ago I conducted an entire RPT using voice-to-text on my phone from inside the bowels of a sewage treatment plant.  I think it went well for the most part, too.

combat logs or it didn't happen
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on May 30, 2017, 10:14:24 AM
Do you pay the yearly fee, or is there a free way to use it without having to download and run an .exe?
I paid the terrible annual fee of $12.

Congrats on getting phudbase to work. My issue is that I believe port 4050 is blocked (along with mudportal).

Wait, we still have a client on our website? I completely missed that. I'll have to give that a try.

I assumed 4050 being blocked was why I got the security error from FMUD on the Armageddon webpage.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Blowtorch on Android, MUDrammer on iPad.

Puttytel is a pretty decent telnet client, that works on my work comp when the site doesn't.
"Everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

"Do not become addicted to water, it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence."

I had a slider phone a few years ago that I liked mudding on, but with a touch screen, I just loose way too much real estate to the keyboard to make it effective.
Grebber - One who grebs.

"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Well, that worked for about a week before the guys in India caught on. :(
Grebber - One who grebs.

Teamviewer at home also works.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on June 13, 2017, 06:41:01 AM
Well, that worked for about a week before the guys in India caught on. :(

I'm blessed to be friends with the IT department, who have stated to me they don't monitor me.

Funny thing is, there was a required company-wide update Monday. (13,000+ employees)
Rebooted and began getting error messages from all the proxy browser clients like I had from the one on the Arm website.

So Armageddon/I was responsible for shutting down a multi-national corporation for 15ish minutes. I may be hooked again.  Good job folks.  ;)
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Kialae on June 14, 2017, 12:11:32 AMI'm blessed to be friends with the IT department, who have stated to me they don't monitor me.
I'm blessed/cursed to be the IT department and I work hard enough that no-one really questions me (although once we fill a vacant position I may need to cut down on the gaming ;))