Is the game down?

Started by Rogerthat, May 23, 2017, 04:23:09 PM

Seems like it's rebooting every 40 seconds, so I think whatever happened killed it dead until the coders can get at it.

most people are in discord playing d&d with Orsus
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

July 18, 2017, 02:09:40 AM #52 Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:11:15 AM by ShaiHulud
down or just me?
nevermind.
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

Whats going on?
Someone punches a dead mantis in it's dead face.

Ginka was hit my a meteor and Tektolnes escaped.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: Rogerthat on July 18, 2017, 02:29:09 AM
Whats going on?

Apparently Katima was eating a gaspy when she decided to chase someone, and she was wearing bandages. It's devastating.

The silence, staff-side, is disconcerting.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Isn't it like midnight on a Sunday or something there in the USA? Not that disconcerting.

It went down about 3 hours ago, roughly around 9:30GMT, Monday. Oh well. It'll be fixed when it's fixed.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Yep. Those of us about at this sort of time. Aren't the sort of Staff who can do anything about this I am afraid.

Patience till the Coders get a chance to look is the only option.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on July 18, 2017, 02:50:44 AM
The silence, staff-side, is disconcerting.

Yeah, like Tlei says, this is just a case of "people in the USA are asleep."
QuoteCalavera,

Your Shoot Me In The Head request has been resolved. We do not have sufficient ammunition to process your request at this time.

Italis
Armageddon Staff

Correct.  Looking at it now.  I am going to take a short while to try and troubleshoot the problem then I'll get the game back up.

Stay tuned.

This was the result of a 15 year old bug that only crops up every 2-3 years. A lot of thanks to Nathvaan for quickly tackling it and finding a solution.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Quote from: nessalin on July 18, 2017, 10:35:48 AM
This was the result of a 15 year old bug that only crops up every 2-3 years. A lot of thanks to Nathvaan for quickly tackling it and finding a solution.

Wow, great job, guys! But now I'm curious as to what kind of bug pops up only every few years and why.

Quote from: sleepyhead on July 18, 2017, 10:41:00 AM
Quote from: nessalin on July 18, 2017, 10:35:48 AM

Wow, great job, guys! But now I'm curious as to what kind of bug pops up only every few years and why.

"It is the old wound my king. It has never healed."
-Lancelot

Are you saying you've actually NAMED the aforementioned bug "the Fisher King" bug?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Basically. Once every three, or four years, my character manages to survive past day 15. This downs the server as Ginka is not used to this occurring. Nathvaan just killed my character and everything works just fine.

Quote from: Dar on July 18, 2017, 11:38:12 AM
Basically. Once every three, or four years, my character manages to survive past day 15. This downs the server as Ginka is not used to this occurring. Nathvaan just killed my character and everything works just fine.

True story.  RIP Amos Cofefe McCrashington. You will be missed for a few more years!

Really though it has to do with some behavior that happens VERY rarely and puts some additional character in some save files.  When that ever increases past a maximum string value it cause the file to be improperly parsed and prevents booting.

Calcification of the left anterior heat vents and partial blockage of the substrate mucous membrane.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

So what you're saying is, it WASN'T Katima?