Coder Transparency - Bandages

Started by nessalin, May 23, 2017, 03:40:07 PM

The following represents a working feature branch based largely on a discussion staff-side over the last three months, but including recent posts by players in the code forum.  It is currently in testing and may go out as early as next week.  This does not represent the totality of the changes, only the ones that are likely to make it into help files and other player facing documentation.

Bandages are going to undergo a change from instant heal to a healing affect that increases the likelihood of healing happening on tick and how much is healed.

The considerations on healing will be how injured the patient is, how skilled the healer is, and what quality the bandage is.  The intersection of these values will be used to determine the duration the affect stays in place and what benefits the bandage gives.

Looking at someone will indicate if they have been bandaged with a message after their description. Assessing someone will do the same but also relate to characters with the bandage skill how effective the bandage is and roughly how long until it will last.

Bandage affects will not stack.  Applying a bandage to someone that already has one will remove the old bandage first.  Good if you're applying a better bandage or by a more skilled healer than the prior healer. Not good, otherwise.

Vigorous activity such as fighting, running, climbing, falling, etc... will lower the duration of the bandage, but not its effectiveness.

Anyone will be able to attempt to use a bandage on a patient, but only those with the 'bandage' skill on their skill-list will be able to advance from failures.   Failure when bandaging will result in damage that decreases as the skill of the healer goes up, to the point that it may be 1 hit point at the highest levels.

Additionally almost any injury will be capable of being bandaged.

Finally, using assess on bandage items will relate to the user how it matches up against their skill, letting them know if the bandage is overkill for their ability or if it is wanting.  There is always a benefit to using the best bandage that you can acquire, offsetting the difficulty of treating more serious wounds, but ultimately your character's skill will come into play in determining just how much aid is given.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Interesting idea for the project. Will honestly be nice to see "bandage" not just being "mundane heal spell". I'm excited to see how it works. On other people.

Not on me.

Stop, no more constellations in the sky waiting for me to trip on a massive rock or get run over by a wagon.

... Stop.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Will a (well?) bandaged person heal faster than a sleeping person that did not receive any treatment?

Otherwise, I'm loving this change!  Yay for being injured mattering and as Riev pointed out, bandages not being Vivaduans in scrap form.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

A high enough quality bandage applied by a sufficiently skilled hand will result in a healing rate comparable to a non-bandaged sleeping patient.

Interesting!  I like the healing over time.  Much more RPable.

One thing I wasn't quite clear about from your description, is the benefit of any given bandaging limited by the minimum between the bandage quality and the bandager's skill?  Or would a master bandager using a novice-level bandage still expect to grant more benefit than an apprentice bandager with the same novice-level bandage?
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Sounds cool!
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Death by bandage is still a thing?
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Well technically it was never death by bandage, I always treated it as death by bloodloss.

Quote from: Hauwke on May 23, 2017, 08:22:11 PM
Well technically it was never death by bandage, I always treated it as death by bloodloss.

Save it for the malpractice court, you quack.  ;)
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: Pale Horse on May 23, 2017, 08:07:48 PM

Sadly, yes.  So long as you're willing to stick your hands into the squirming guts of someone on death's door without really knowing what you're doing, death by bandage will still be a thing.  The higher the healer's bandage skill, the less chance of doing damage and the less damage will be done, however, so we should see less of this.

You mentioned that bandaging will be possible at "any level" to allow for a regeneration effect to be applied.

Is the 55% no-heal threshold still going to be a thing? Like, we may still need to 'sleep off' some higher damage counts, its just that we can bandage after the first "solid" hit and either fail for skill, or succeed for higher standing regen?

Quote from: James de Monet on May 23, 2017, 05:16:37 PM
Interesting!  I like the healing over time.  Much more RPable.

One thing I wasn't quite clear about from your description, is the benefit of any given bandaging limited by the minimum between the bandage quality and the bandager's skill?  Or would a master bandager using a novice-level bandage still expect to grant more benefit than an apprentice bandager with the same novice-level bandage?

There are two primary concerns related to the affect of being bandaged.

The duration of the bandage, which is mostly a constant but gets a slight boost from skilled healer's.

The effectiveness of the bandage, which is the lower of the quality of the bandage or the healer's skill.

Bandage quality is tied to the success of applying the bandage so it is always beneficial to use the highest quality bandage you can acquire even if its quality outstrips your skill.

Quote from: Riev on May 24, 2017, 10:21:57 AM
You mentioned that bandaging will be possible at "any level" to allow for a regeneration effect to be applied.

Is the 55% no-heal threshold still going to be a thing? Like, we may still need to 'sleep off' some higher damage counts, its just that we can bandage after the first "solid" hit and either fail for skill, or succeed for higher standing regen?

All but the smallest of injuries can be bandaged, everything else is fair game.

Wounds so serious they require sleep can be healed by bandages, but only if the quality of the bandage and the skill of the healer are high enough.

Being bandaged will halt bleeding out even if the bandage affect is not strong enough to let the patient heal while awake.

May 24, 2017, 10:36:44 AM #13 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:05:58 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: nessalin on May 24, 2017, 10:19:02 AM
Quote from: Pale Horse on May 23, 2017, 08:07:48 PM

Sadly, yes.  So long as you're willing to stick your hands into the squirming guts of someone on death's door without really knowing what you're doing, death by bandage will still be a thing.  The higher the healer's bandage skill, the less chance of doing damage and the less damage will be done, however, so we should see less of this.

Excellent.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Molten Heart on May 24, 2017, 10:36:44 AM
If someone is significantly injured and then bandaged and then sustains a similar level injury, will the new injury need to be rebandaged to heal w/o sleeping?
No.  Although being in combat will lower the remaining duration of a bandage affect.

Also to consider is that when you are fully healed, your bandage affect is removed.

Quote from: Molten Heart on May 24, 2017, 10:36:44 AM
Also, will bandage still be able to cure some poisons as described in the help file?

Quote from: Bandage Skill Help FileA truly talented individual, using high quality bandages may even be able to cure some poisons through skilled first aid.

Yes.

This all sounds great. Kudos, staff.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Will the patient receive some sort of echo when their "bandage effect" wears off?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on May 30, 2017, 09:32:05 AM
Will the patient receive some sort of echo when their "bandage effect" wears off?

Yes.

I'm looking forward to seeing this in action.

I have a question:

"   -Prevents them from bleeding to death."

Does this mean there is now bloodloss code, or does this specifically refer to when someone is critically wounded?

Quote from: Delirium on June 05, 2017, 09:01:09 PM

I have a question:

Does this mean there is now bloodloss code, or does this specifically refer to when someone is critically wounded?

Being bandaged will prevent characters below 0 hit points from losing more hit points.

Will it be possible to soak a bandage in a poison to inflict a patient with it?

:D

this is great. The insta-heal effect was never realistic. the ability to spam cheapass bandages for full or nearly full heal was never realistic. this is a major fix to a feature that will overall improve gameplay and reduce silly code abuse. kudos!
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: nessalin on June 05, 2017, 09:07:48 PM
Quote from: Delirium on June 05, 2017, 09:01:09 PM

I have a question:

Being bandaged will prevent characters below 0 hit points from losing more hit points.
If this works how I'm thinking, I like the idea that "anyone" can attempt to at least stabilize someone, and get them to someone with a better handle on things.

Maybe they take you to a magicker to heal you because they're the only one online. Maybe they don't. But its better than bleeding to death for 30minutes because nobody is online.

Quote from: Riev on June 06, 2017, 08:47:13 AM
Maybe they take you to a magicker to heal you because they're the only one online. Maybe they don't. But its better than bleeding to death for 30minutes because nobody is online.
Wield dagger has always been a quick solution to that conundrum as well. I always say it's better to end it quick than let them suffer.