How to fight/duel effectively?

Started by RiftTalon, May 21, 2017, 07:24:40 PM

At the moment, I just spam `kill` or `hit` when I get into a fight, with the occasional `bash` or some such. I have a feeling this isn't the right way to do it, s how should I be fighting?

If you're talking about sparring, then what you want to be doing is finding a spot where the crime code won't fuck you over then typing 'mercy on'. Then proceed with the 'kill' or any other skill commands. 'Hit' is just for brawling in specific establishes that allow such things. Something that a lot of people found out the hard way by doing the classic 'kill' to try and brawl then being cut down by soldiers.
No shade and zero profit.

If on the other hand you're talking about fighting in general, then you should know that there's no way to kill someone 'harder'. After you engage combat, it's all down to statistics. Factors of skills, stats, offense/defense(?), all that stuff. Other commands like 'kick' and all that can also be used in mid-combat for well, exactly stuff like that.
No shade and zero profit.

Quote from: Exen44 on May 21, 2017, 07:31:27 PM
If on the other hand you're talking about fighting in general, then you should know that there's no way to kill someone 'harder'. After you engage combat, it's all down to statistics. Factors of skills, stats, offense/defense(?), all that stuff. Other commands like 'kick' and all that can also be used in mid-combat for well, exactly stuff like that.

Attack speed, damage, and MOST general combat is all on a timer, and automatic. Once you type kill, all most people can do is hope they're better than the other person.

IF, however, you're more of a combative character and have things like Disarm, or Bash, you can use those to try and gain an advantage, but failing comes at a cost. (This is why many people suggest newer players to places like the Arm of the Dragon or the T'zai Byn, because they're combat-heavy clans that will teach you how things go).

ADDENDUM: Just because you can sit there in combat for 45seconds before your enemy flees/submits/dies, doesn't mean thats all you CAN do. When you feel comfortable, throw in some emotes. The game tells you how hard you hit, and where, but that doesn't mean there isn't action going on between the scenes. If you "solidly bludgeon" their foot, throw in an emote about how you brought your club down hard on <your opponent>'s foot. Get funky and freaky with the description of how you fight. Dirty? Professional? Aiming high? Slow and brutal? Awkward as fuck?

Just be ready to have either "flee" or "disengage" on the ready (mine is mapped to F1)
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I am and probably always will be a big advocate for joining the Byn to learn the game, I and many other fabulous players with plenty of game knowledge (thats the other players not me mostly) are there to OOCly understand what you are going through, and it is all but expected that your character will be a little whacky because thats just what Runners are.

Just to be clear, combat is initiated when you type '>kill target', or when someone/something attacks you.

Combat will go until you or the other person dies, gets knocked out (if the victor's mercy kill is turned on), all paties enters '>disengage,' or someone successfully flees.  You do not have to keep typing kill.

Like others have said, you should learn about strategy (bash, kick, and disarm) IC.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

May 22, 2017, 10:00:06 AM #7 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:06:56 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on May 22, 2017, 10:00:06 AM
...and if the skills are high they will give a small advantage by being used right away instead of having to wait through the 3-5 second delay of the kill command.

Not true.

What you're probably observing is people using the "assist" command, which has no pre- or post- delay, which means you can "assist x" and "kick y" immediately afterward.

It doesn't matter how high your skills are, if you type "kill x," you're going to get the standard "kill" post-delay.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

May 22, 2017, 12:37:10 PM #9 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:06:05 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Regardless, fighting "effectively" is just training up what skills you have on your "Skills" list. If you're really good with slashing weapons, when you're in that auto-combat mode, you'll hit more, and hit harder as your skills improve.

When you're IN combat, you do have access to the kicks, and bashes, and all that stuff. If you don't have the skill, don't expect many successes, and it always uses up stamina/endurance each time you use them. Also, do not type "kill <person>" and then just spam kick;kick;kick;kick;kick;kick  It is considered poor etiquette, doesn't give you "more skill because you failed six times", and with the lag that comes with each command, you could die and be unable to flee.

kick figure, kick 2.figure, kick 3.figure

Quote from: Riev on May 22, 2017, 12:52:25 PM
Regardless, fighting "effectively" is just training up what skills you have on your "Skills" list. If you're really good with slashing weapons, when you're in that auto-combat mode, you'll hit more, and hit harder as your skills improve.

When you're IN combat, you do have access to the kicks, and bashes, and all that stuff. If you don't have the skill, don't expect many successes, and it always uses up stamina/endurance each time you use them. Also, do not type "kill <person>" and then just spam kick;kick;kick;kick;kick;kick  It is considered poor etiquette, doesn't give you "more skill because you failed six times", and with the lag that comes with each command, you could die and be unable to flee.

Just so it's clear to OP, there's no etiquette in actual combat.  This would apply to sparring.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Feco on May 23, 2017, 08:21:06 AM

Just so it's clear to OP, there's no etiquette in actual combat.  This would apply to sparring.

Double-quoting so its clear, yes. This is for sparring with another person. If you're fighting for your life... MURDER THEM.

Quote from: Riev on May 23, 2017, 09:23:51 AM
Quote from: Feco on May 23, 2017, 08:21:06 AM

Double-quoting so its clear, yes. This is for sparring with another person. If you're fighting for your life... MURDER THEM.

I would like to say thank you to this. I lost a couple characters trying to rp a real combat situation before and dying horribly. It is nice to know that just running my skinny half-elven ass away without emoting so I can survive will be understood.

While you CAN do that, I personally frown on it. It takes very little time to give your partner a quick 'em backs off, hightailing it.' it's just a couple words and does not take much time at all.

Quote from: Hauwke on March 29, 2019, 02:51:06 AM
While you CAN do that, I personally frown on it. It takes very little time to give your partner a quick 'em backs off, hightailing it.' it's just a couple words and does not take much time at all.

Fleeing IS roleplaying.

Disengaging IS roleplaying.

Emoting =/= roleplaying, it is just a method you can use TO roleplay.

If you die because you're typing out a really good emote, that's not roleplaying. Your PC would have run, not spent 3-4 more hits getting bloodied because he wanted to flourish some cool hit from 2 minutes ago.

Quote from: Riev on March 29, 2019, 10:46:49 AM
Quote from: Hauwke on March 29, 2019, 02:51:06 AM

Fleeing IS roleplaying.

Disengaging IS roleplaying.

Emoting =/= roleplaying, it is just a method you can use TO roleplay.

If you die because you're typing out a really good emote, that's not roleplaying. Your PC would have run, not spent 3-4 more hits getting bloodied because he wanted to flourish some cool hit from 2 minutes ago.

I agree with this as I've been on both sides of getting killed by extremely fast combat code while trying to emote or otherwise not just type flee over and over.

With Armageddon being a Roleplay focused game I almost wish there was a slow down combat command for situation where you're beating someone to death but want to give them time to Roleplay it out.

Because even with mercy on, you still keep fighting till they fall down and can't do much anyways.

Combat code is scary fast sometimes and when you're getting reeled by sounding hits over and over, the Ding comes fast.

You're free to hold back by typing "disengage" (I macro disengage to F1) if you think you're winning too hard and want to give them time. I've had scenes where I stopped fighting, and we RP'd out the scene a bit more.

Fleeing is roleplaying. There is no reason to be emoting, instead of fleeing, if your character is trying to survive.

Please do not put code before roleplay. Yes, you can spamwalk away from a situation, go right to the bar, and wait until hunting time the next morning - but that's zero fun for zero people. Play up these scenes. Enjoy the roleplay. Sure, you may die, but that's what makes roleplaying games like Armageddon fun - not living or dying, but the stories that it generates.

This doesn't just go for the victims either, the attackers should attempt to roleplay during altercations as well. If you're just running in and attacking the target you're missing out on the fun and excitement roleplaying can bring.

Quote from: Akariel on April 02, 2019, 10:58:40 AM
Please do not put code before roleplay. Yes, you can spamwalk away from a situation, go right to the bar, and wait until hunting time the next morning - but that's zero fun for zero people. Play up these scenes. Enjoy the roleplay. Sure, you may die, but that's what makes roleplaying games like Armageddon fun - not living or dying, but the stories that it generates.

This doesn't just go for the victims either, the attackers should attempt to roleplay during altercations as well. If you're just running in and attacking the target you're missing out on the fun and excitement roleplaying can bring.

I agree, however I'm not sure that the folks who play as killers really care about your experience as they are killing you.

As a few people have said before this, combat code is Roleplay in their eyes.

I personally wish there were ways to slow down combat other than disengaging and hoping they don't cheese the situation.

I've had both run in and murder me in a few combat round deaths and slow death scenes and I prefer the Roleplay ones of course but I guess I could see why folks jump to instakill because those few moments of emoting might be leading a Templar or group of friends down on your head.

Quote from: Cerelum on April 02, 2019, 01:22:39 PM

I agree, however I'm not sure that the folks who play as killers really care about your experience as they are killing you.

Hey, I don't think that's entirely fair.  I've played killers and I very muched cared about other's experiences.

All I meant when I replied long ago was that sometimes combat can be really fast, and really bloody, and sometimes it's okay to not waste time typing a lengthy emote, if it endangers you seriously.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Feco on April 02, 2019, 01:34:26 PM
Quote from: Cerelum on April 02, 2019, 01:22:39 PM

I agree, however I’m not sure that the folks who play as killers really care about your experience as they are killing you.

Hey, I don't think that's entirely fair.  I've played killers and I very muched cared about other's experiences.

All I meant when I replied long ago was that sometimes combat can be really fast, and really bloody, and sometimes it's okay to not waste time typing a lengthy emote, if it endangers you seriously.

This. My quote that that flee is roleplay is a direct quote from staff.

I played the game for over 10 years, and I think I killed/participated in killing less than 5 people. Of my twinky friends, most have really made sure there was a buildup to killing, up to and including a failed attempt on a Noble, only to soon thereafter, succeed.

Code before roleplay is a thing, because you can't emote out a scene when you're dead. Flee, then work on the roleplay. Flee, then shout something that shows you're interested in the scene and not a 'shout Fuck off!'

April 02, 2019, 03:59:35 PM #23 Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 04:01:43 PM by Namino
The reason roleplay seems to evolve before a kill rather than during it is the unfortunate issues revolving around the current PvP 'meta' of Armageddon, in which serious fights are decided instantaneously or as close to instantaneously as possible. The only way you can roleplay DURING a kill is if the fighting is protracted enough for you all to emote rolling around on the ground wrestling for the knife and flinging swearwords at each other. Serious fights in Armageddon do not provide the means for this.

If your victim does not want to fight:
-Failing a flee does not incur a post-delay nor does it grant an attack of opportunity until you get your successful one. Spamming flee is free and will almost always get you out.
If your victim does want to fight:
-They're going to spam-flee into kite-archery, use heramide coated knives, or if you're super bad at picking your targets, hit you with a mon-level fireball for massive stun-damage as an opener.

None of these above scenarios provides time at all for roleplay.

Edit: Though I will say this. Feco's character was what I consider the only really good PvP experience I had because he was willing to sacrifice efficiency for the cause. That's a pretty high standard to expect your average murderer to set to as I later found out multiple times.

Quote from: Namino on April 02, 2019, 03:59:35 PM
Edit: Though I will say this. Feco's character was what I consider the only really good PvP experience I had because he was willing to sacrifice efficiency for the cause. That's a pretty high standard to expect your average murderer to set to as I later found out multiple times.

That's very kind and thoughtful, even if I have no idea what you're talking about!  :)

However, I will not deny having taken part in very fast, confusing combat, with little to no emoting.  It just so happens that the code can be really, really nasty sometimes.  Despite the lack of emotes, though, I maintain that those situations were not devoid of roleplay.

I've never felt bad about someone attacking immediately with code, or fleeing immediately with code, if the situation made sense.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC