Author Topic: How to fight/duel effectively?  (Read 1281 times)

RiftTalon

How to fight/duel effectively?
« on: May 21, 2017, 07:24:40 PM »
At the moment, I just spam `kill` or `hit` when I get into a fight, with the occasional `bash` or some such. I have a feeling this isn't the right way to do it, s how should I be fighting?

Exen44

Re: How to fight/duel effectively?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 07:27:57 PM »
If you're talking about sparring, then what you want to be doing is finding a spot where the crime code won't fuck you over then typing 'mercy on'. Then proceed with the 'kill' or any other skill commands. 'Hit' is just for brawling in specific establishes that allow such things. Something that a lot of people found out the hard way by doing the classic 'kill' to try and brawl then being cut down by soldiers.
"I sexually identify as depression. That way I have an active sex life because I keep fucking everyone."
-Me, 2017.

Exen44

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 07:31:27 PM »
If on the other hand you're talking about fighting in general, then you should know that there's no way to kill someone 'harder'. After you engage combat, it's all down to statistics. Factors of skills, stats, offense/defense(?), all that stuff. Other commands like 'kick' and all that can also be used in mid-combat for well, exactly stuff like that.
"I sexually identify as depression. That way I have an active sex life because I keep fucking everyone."
-Me, 2017.

Riev

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 08:45:53 PM »
If on the other hand you're talking about fighting in general, then you should know that there's no way to kill someone 'harder'. After you engage combat, it's all down to statistics. Factors of skills, stats, offense/defense(?), all that stuff. Other commands like 'kick' and all that can also be used in mid-combat for well, exactly stuff like that.

Attack speed, damage, and MOST general combat is all on a timer, and automatic. Once you type kill, all most people can do is hope they're better than the other person.

IF, however, you're more of a combative character and have things like Disarm, or Bash, you can use those to try and gain an advantage, but failing comes at a cost. (This is why many people suggest newer players to places like the Arm of the Dragon or the T'zai Byn, because they're combat-heavy clans that will teach you how things go).

ADDENDUM: Just because you can sit there in combat for 45seconds before your enemy flees/submits/dies, doesn't mean thats all you CAN do. When you feel comfortable, throw in some emotes. The game tells you how hard you hit, and where, but that doesn't mean there isn't action going on between the scenes. If you "solidly bludgeon" their foot, throw in an emote about how you brought your club down hard on <your opponent>'s foot. Get funky and freaky with the description of how you fight. Dirty? Professional? Aiming high? Slow and brutal? Awkward as fuck?

Just be ready to have either "flee" or "disengage" on the ready (mine is mapped to F1)
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Hauwke

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 09:11:07 PM »
I am and probably always will be a big advocate for joining the Byn to learn the game, I and many other fabulous players with plenty of game knowledge (thats the other players not me mostly) are there to OOCly understand what you are going through, and it is all but expected that your character will be a little whacky because thats just what Runners are.

Feco

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 08:39:01 AM »
Just to be clear, combat is initiated when you type '>kill target', or when someone/something attacks you.

Combat will go until you or the other person dies, gets knocked out (if the victor's mercy kill is turned on), all paties enters '>disengage,' or someone successfully flees.  You do not have to keep typing kill.

Like others have said, you should learn about strategy (bash, kick, and disarm) IC.
Sunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

RiftTalon

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 09:33:32 AM »
Alright, thanks for help.

Molten Heart

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 10:00:06 AM »
Combat skills/commands can also be used to initiate combat and if the skills are high they will give a small advantage by being used right away instead of having to wait through the 3-5 second delay of the kill command. Skills like disarm, bash, kick, etc. If it's a skill that does harm, it's probably going to start a fight. I mention having the skills at high levels because at low levels of there is a critical failure these skills can instead put you at a disadvantage so becareful when choosing to open with them (practice them in lower risk situations first).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 10:03:01 AM by Molten Heart »

Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 11:54:20 AM »
...and if the skills are high they will give a small advantage by being used right away instead of having to wait through the 3-5 second delay of the kill command.

Not true.

What you're probably observing is people using the "assist" command, which has no pre- or post- delay, which means you can "assist x" and "kick y" immediately afterward.

It doesn't matter how high your skills are, if you type "kill x," you're going to get the standard "kill" post-delay.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Molten Heart

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 12:37:10 PM »
...and if the skills are high they will give a small advantage by being used right away instead of having to wait through the 3-5 second delay of the kill command.

Not true.

What you're probably observing is people using the "assist" command, which has no pre- or post- delay, which means you can "assist x" and "kick y" immediately afterward.

It doesn't matter how high your skills are, if you type "kill x," you're going to get the standard "kill" post-delay.

True, the main advantages lie when the skills are executed successfully, otherwise there is no advantage than just using the kill command. One can still initiate combat with these commands, as well as with the kill command.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:39:24 PM by Molten Heart »

Riev

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 12:52:25 PM »
Regardless, fighting "effectively" is just training up what skills you have on your "Skills" list. If you're really good with slashing weapons, when you're in that auto-combat mode, you'll hit more, and hit harder as your skills improve.

When you're IN combat, you do have access to the kicks, and bashes, and all that stuff. If you don't have the skill, don't expect many successes, and it always uses up stamina/endurance each time you use them. Also, do not type "kill <person>" and then just spam kick;kick;kick;kick;kick;kick  It is considered poor etiquette, doesn't give you "more skill because you failed six times", and with the lag that comes with each command, you could die and be unable to flee.

Inks

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 01:56:23 AM »
kick figure, kick 2.figure, kick 3.figure
Quote from: Is Friday
Quote from: Synthesis
I hate to break it to you noobs, but penetration isn't the only way to achieve orgasm.Do I have to fucking explain everything here?
Tell me more about your Golden Standard of HG Mudsex RP

Feco

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 08:21:06 AM »
Regardless, fighting "effectively" is just training up what skills you have on your "Skills" list. If you're really good with slashing weapons, when you're in that auto-combat mode, you'll hit more, and hit harder as your skills improve.

When you're IN combat, you do have access to the kicks, and bashes, and all that stuff. If you don't have the skill, don't expect many successes, and it always uses up stamina/endurance each time you use them. Also, do not type "kill <person>" and then just spam kick;kick;kick;kick;kick;kick  It is considered poor etiquette, doesn't give you "more skill because you failed six times", and with the lag that comes with each command, you could die and be unable to flee.

Just so it's clear to OP, there's no etiquette in actual combat.  This would apply to sparring.
Sunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Riev

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 09:23:51 AM »

Just so it's clear to OP, there's no etiquette in actual combat.  This would apply to sparring.

Double-quoting so its clear, yes. This is for sparring with another person. If you're fighting for your life... MURDER THEM.