Removing shields

Started by premiumeagle, May 13, 2017, 03:02:18 AM

If this can be added then it would help a lot for fighters..
something like rp/rtwo except for wearable shields

As it is, if its on your back you cant remove it at all to switch for during combat
"Is dangerous as well..... Ya get all tired and a giant beetle comes for ya......"

Removing and then equipping a shield isn't like drawing a weapon from your belt or from a sheath. When it is slung over your back it will be strapped across the chest and under one arm.

Also many shields are not simply held by a handle but are strapped to the arm or have a loop the arm goes through before holding the handle:

These two reasons is why you can't just whip it off your back or shoulder and hold it in the middle of combat. It's something you need to prepare before entering combat.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Its just added efficiency to something you can already do by keeping a shield in your inventory

And those guys aren't zalanthan Olympic athletes, who can probably draw a shield in one motion
"Is dangerous as well..... Ya get all tired and a giant beetle comes for ya......"

May 13, 2017, 08:37:54 AM #3 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:15:42 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Removing gear and opening gear should be subject to the same "free attack" penalty that you get with using "get" in combat.

I've always felt like this was sort of a "meta" situation that forced people to keep at least some of their stuff in inventory locations where pickpockets could get to it, but now that you can unlatch closed containers with sleight of hand, that reasoning isn't relevant.

I.e. there used to be a paper-rock-scissors reason:  if you wanted to have your peraine dagger ready to use at a moment's notice, you had to leave it vulnerable to being stolen.  If the "can't do that at all" were replaced with "you can do it, but they get a free attack," you could keep stuff you need in combat in a more-or-less pickpocket-proof inventory location, but you'd be subject to 3 free attacks in the process of getting it out.

I guess you could make the argument that 3 free attacks isn't much of a big deal to worry about for parry-capable classes, so it amounts to a warrior buff...but...meh.  I think it makes more sense than being completely unable to remove your shield or open your pack.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I came into this thread secretly hoping someone was advocating taking shields out of the game.

Personal Opinion: Shields are great and should always be worn on the back. Packs are lame, never wear them on the back.

I'm pretty sure wearing shields on the back also protects from backstab

I personally have two shields in hand, one on the back, three in my inventory.

So I don't have to worry about removing them.

On a serious note I would enjoy a way to get shields off your back mid combat. Sometimes being ambushed and not being able to get your shield even though you've been in combat enough time that you running in circles and fucking with your back would have been more than enough time to get your shield. (I fucked up the grammar in that sentence but pretend I didn't).

I like the free attack idea.

Always wished warriors had the ability to alternate between a two-handed weapon to dual wielding or shield/weapon and vise-versa without leaving themselves defenseless.

Additionally always felt that unwielding your weapons during a fight (often to swap it with soemthing else) should also leave you open to an attack as well.

Change hands ... doesn't leave you defenseless.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on May 30, 2017, 11:34:53 PM
Change hands ... doesn't leave you defenseless.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Every time I see this thread I think it's about removing shields as an object in the game itself and am immediately intrigued, then disappointed. Too much For Honor I guess.

Using your one handed weapon with two-handed is not quite what i meant. You aren't going to be changing hands to that actual two-hander weapon on your back or off your hands, unless there is a feature of the command I am missing.

But i digress.

Quote from: Dresan on June 03, 2017, 03:32:27 PM
Using your one handed weapon with two-handed is not quite what i meant. You aren't going to be changing hands to that actual two-hander weapon on your back or off your hands, unless there is a feature of the command I am missing.

But i digress.

Oh. Well. In this case I can't imagine there's ANY reason why you wouldn't be left open for a moment while you "draw greatsword back".
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

It is a difference in opinions because I can. It is a small detail but abiet an annoying one, for me at least, who likes both shield use and two-handed style but with no smooth way to interchange between either like dual wielding and shield use can.