Main Desc Visibility With Hood, Cloak or Facewrap.

Started by Exen44, May 07, 2017, 06:27:00 PM

Instead of Mdesc hiding (or at least as a feature) it would be great to remove sdesc keywords when you are wearing a hood or facewrap.

So, if someone is two rooms away wearing a mask or with a hood up, you can't 'Shoot Name West Far'.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

January 12, 2018, 01:01:13 PM #26 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:48:11 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: sleepyhead on January 12, 2018, 10:00:24 AM
"they" has been used as an ungendered singular for a long time.

Tbh I wish more people would embrace this. It's much less awkward than "he or she" or "it".

Lizard time.

Quote from: Veselka on January 12, 2018, 11:56:55 AM
Instead of Mdesc hiding (or at least as a feature) it would be great to remove sdesc keywords when you are wearing a hood or facewrap.

So, if someone is two rooms away wearing a mask or with a hood up, you can't 'Shoot Name West Far'.

This would make it impossible to assist clannies in combat.  Or give anyone anything in the Labyrinth.  And a hood would become the ultimate Barrier.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: MatisseOrOtherwise on January 12, 2018, 01:21:25 PM

Tbh I wish more people would embrace this. It's much less awkward than "he or she" or "it".

The code requires that you select male or female, and this determines other coded aspects. If you're in the next room, and you're male, my character will hear "a male voice." If I want to see if your character is wearing a signet ring (so I know whether or not to bow to him) and I type "look Amos's signet" and your character is a male, I will see "HE is not wearing anything like that." This is a text game, not a social sciences class. Your character is either male or female. My character will respond to whatever the code provides. I find "it" to be less awkward than "they." Though "he-she-it-whatever" serves just as well if the code hasn't yet instructed me which pronoun to use.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on January 12, 2018, 05:27:13 PM
Quote from: MatisseOrOtherwise on January 12, 2018, 01:21:25 PM

The code requires that you select male or female, and this determines other coded aspects. If you're in the next room, and you're male, my character will hear "a male voice." If I want to see if your character is wearing a signet ring (so I know whether or not to bow to him) and I type "look Amos's signet" and your character is a male, I will see "HE is not wearing anything like that." This is a text game, not a social sciences class. Your character is either male or female. My character will respond to whatever the code provides. I find "it" to be less awkward than "they." Though "he-she-it-whatever" serves just as well if the code hasn't yet instructed me which pronoun to use.

"Oh, I know that person, they're in the Garrison!"

"Oh, I know that person, he-she-it-whatever is in the Garrison!"

"Oh, I know that person, it is in the Garrison!"

Uh.

Only one of those sounds right.

If you seriously say "he-she-it-whatever", or even "it" reflexively any time you don't know someone's whatsits, that's just something intrinsically wrong with you.

You don't need to lash out hardcore. This isn't some huge argument over hurdur trans rights or something, boo, this was an offhanded comment about what sounds good and should be used and done more.
Lizard time.

"They" is perfectly fine. No one is asking for xim or xer here. It's not even a social justice issue. Jesus Christ. Stop derailing.

Getting a little heated here... let's chill out, take a few deep breaths, and return to the topic at hand.

Quote from: James de Monet on January 12, 2018, 05:15:14 PM
Quote from: Veselka on January 12, 2018, 11:56:55 AM

This would make it impossible to assist clannies in combat.  Or give anyone anything in the Labyrinth.  And a hood would become the ultimate Barrier.
[/quote

True. Except you can target their hood or facewrap. It simulates how difficult it should be to figure out who the fuck is who in combat and so on.

The hood is the ultimate barrier already, if you don't know someone's name or sdesc already, and you spot them from a room away.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

I think what James de Monet means was that if your name isn't a keyword for you anymore (due to a hood removing it while being worn), then "contact Amos" will always fail for everyone, everywhere in the game, because while wearing a hood you aren't amos. It's much like how wearing a hood adds "figure" as a keyword, letting people "contact figure".

I hope I'm not putting words in your mouth, James. :)

QuoteTrue. Except you can target their hood or facewrap. It simulates how difficult it should be to figure out who the fuck is who in combat and so on.

This would probably be a pain with multiple hooded figures. I think the way arma code works is that the most recent person that has spoken/moved/emoted/other stuff is on the top of the list when referring to things. So if you "tell figure" you'll tell the figure that most recently spoke, which could be really annoying, if you want to speak to Hooded Amos, but Hooded Samos keeps saying things across the room at his table.

If the problem is with "shoot amos north" maybe just have the shoot command not accept names?

It's common RP for templars, nobility, etc, to demand you remove things that hide your face.

I'd be all for not 'magic items' but for every hood, cloak, facewrap, to take down your mdesc. Lower hood, msdesc available. l cloaked figure - all you see is equipment (which is waaay more identifying than 'color eyes') and height/weight.

I really like it was characters are described as what they typically wear, not by actually using keywords from their sdesc (unless it makes sense, often, ...its a keyword).

Keywords can also make the way really strange.
Veteran Newbie

Quote from: KittenLicks on January 12, 2018, 06:57:45 PM
I hope I'm not putting words in your mouth, James. :)

If the problem is with "shoot amos north" maybe just have the shoot command not accept names?

Nope, that's what I was referring to.  And trying to interact peacefully/cooperatively with characters wearing hoods is waaaaay more common than someone using personal keywords to figure out who you are from a distance or shoot you in a crowd of same-cloaked individuals, IMHO.  If you know for sure someone did that, i would file a complaint, and let staff handle it.  Taking away keywords when cloaked seems like it would create 100 everyday problems to fix 2 incredibly rare ones.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.