Complete Newb

Started by Krotuz, May 05, 2017, 04:15:12 PM

Hello I am very new to muds in fact I just started learning how to play 2 days ago. I have gone between a few to get a feel for how to play and I am very excited to join this community and I plan to stay!
I have not yet been able to join the game world as my character is awaiting approval but I am hoping to get him approved by tonight. As I said I am new to muds and basically a fetus in terms of roleplaying experience however I plan to learn fast and become great!
So I have a few questions:
1) Is there a tutorial or am I thrown into the game face first?
2) After my character dies do I have to create a completely different character or can i Tweak the build and keep a somewhat similar backstory?
3) Does it get easier with experience?
4) How does the level/character progression work?
And any other tips/advice on the game or roleplaying you may have.

Quote from: Krotuz on May 05, 2017, 04:15:12 PM
2) After my character dies do I have to create a completely different character or can i Tweak the build and keep a somewhat similar backstory?

1. Prepare to be thrown in face first. There's really no "newbie school" or anything, though many of us are trained to recognize a newbie and are willing to help out and be patient. (That doesn't mean we will be NICE, if its in our character to try and fleece you, but we won't fleece the player, just the PC).
2. You have to create a different character, but keep things generic for the first few, if you feel the need. "Farmboy from Yaroch" or "Grew up in the Bailey of Luir's Outpost" and such will give you a generic background to pull from. You cannot be "Amos the son of Malik the Gladiator", die, and then be "Steven, son of Malik the Gladiator". But its a role, its up to you to define it.
3. The context, and mechanics get easier with experience. The game does not. You may learn what you can, and can't, fight at certain points, but not every sand raptor is Difficulty Level 2 (not a real thing). Sometimes one may spawn that is Difficulty Level 5 and you'll learn a lesson.
4. No levels. Skill-set based, learn by failure. There is no level 20 warrior, there is just "been fighting a while, and is decent with an axe... maybe he can kill raptor".

Tips will flow in, I'm sure.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Welcome to Armageddon!!

We are happy to have you come along this wild ride.

1. As you are new to muds I highly suggest starting here: http://www.armageddon.org/intro/new_to_muds.php
2. Being new, people will mention quite often that you should expect to lose a lot of characters. Players are expected to come up with new characters, but as you are new it can be daunting to do so. It is very common for new players to make a very similar character a few times in a row as they get a feel for it and just change a few things here and there such as personality.
3. Absolutely! It gets easier as far as mechanics and understanding as you play and more enjoyable, but it is most certainly always harsh.
4. Your Guild (soon to be called Class) and Subguild (soon to be Sub Class) dictates what skills you start with and what skills you can get through progression. There is no level's but your skill level increases with time and use.

Asking for help here on the GDB or in Helpers chat can be a great resource. The website has a LOT of help files that you can go over to better help your experience, especially in the beginning. There are a lot of commands, but if you think of something, you can generally find a help file for it.
A staff member sends:
     "The mind you have reached is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."

Quote from: Riev on May 05, 2017, 04:26:45 PM
Quote from: Krotuz on May 05, 2017, 04:15:12 PM

1. Prepare to be thrown in face first. There's really no "newbie school" or anything, though many of us are trained to recognize a newbie and are willing to help out and be patient. (That doesn't mean we will be NICE, if its in our character to try and fleece you, but we won't fleece the player, just the PC).
2. You have to create a different character, but keep things generic for the first few, if you feel the need. "Farmboy from Yaroch" or "Grew up in the Bailey of Luir's Outpost" and such will give you a generic background to pull from. You cannot be "Amos the son of Malik the Gladiator", die, and then be "Steven, son of Malik the Gladiator". But its a role, its up to you to define it.
3. The context, and mechanics get easier with experience. The game does not. You may learn what you can, and can't, fight at certain points, but not every sand raptor is Difficulty Level 2 (not a real thing). Sometimes one may spawn that is Difficulty Level 5 and you'll learn a lesson.
4. No levels. Skill-set based, learn by failure. There is no level 20 warrior, there is just "been fighting a while, and is decent with an axe... maybe he can kill raptor".

Tips will flow in, I'm sure.
Thank you for fast response I hope someday we get to meet in game whether to kill each other or somebody else :)

Also Another question
Is it possible to have more than one character at a time that way when one dies I don't have to wait 12 hours to play again?

No, it's not possible.

Your PCs will probably die less often as times go on, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Yet again I have a question (im not able to play so I cant find out for myself)
How does the weapon and combat system work?
say I was to create a char belonging to the ranger guild, would i be only able to use bows?
What kinds of weapons are there and are they class specific?
when you create a char and it is looked over by staff do they choose what weapons you start with or is that coded?
And thank you for all the help! Sorry for asking so many questions like I said I am unable to play yet.

Quote from: Krotuz on May 05, 2017, 05:30:37 PM
Yet again I have a question (im not able to play so I cant find out for myself)
How does the weapon and combat system work?
say I was to create a char belonging to the ranger guild, would i be only able to use bows?
What kinds of weapons are there and are they class specific?
when you create a char and it is looked over by staff do they choose what weapons you start with or is that coded?
And thank you for all the help! Sorry for asking so many questions like I said I am unable to play yet.

You don't need to be able to play to find out all of this information. The help files are available to anyone, on the main website at www.armageddon.org.
Combat system help files here: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Combat
Ranger help files here: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Rangers (note: rangers may be experiencing code changes soon but the help files are correct currently)
Weapons types, somewhat less detailed, here: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Weapon%20Skills

Your character can choose to use any weapon they want, however different classes will come with different weapon skills. Each weapon type has a skill attached to it. Warriors are able to eventually learn more weapon types than any other class, but that doesn't mean they have to use them all. They'll start out with just a few and eventually "branch" others. Rangers I believe all start with piercing and archery? But not stabbing (which is a specialized subset of piercing). You could choose to use a longspear, or a short-spear, or a jambiya (which is a type of knife).

Your character doesn't necessarily NEED to fight at all, if you don't want them to. Because there are no levels and "experience points" in Armageddon, there's no need to progress with combat unless you intend for your character to be involved in combat. But combat isn't necessary to play Armageddon and "do well" with your character.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

So it's clear, you buy equipment in game using in game currency (generally).

You don't need any skills to actually use a piece of equipment.

You do need skills to use it to it's maximum efficiency.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

May 05, 2017, 05:52:50 PM #9 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:14:24 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

How long does it usually take for a char to get approved, I sent mine last night and still no response. is there a specific way to check?

It takes between 1-24 hours.  You can hop in the Discord and ask questions in real time.  Their is a post on the gdb somewhere.   I was trying to find the gdb discord link, but it timed out.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!