Author Topic: Guild Revamp - Sneak Peek  (Read 6058 times)

Malken

Re: Guild Revamp - Sneak Peek
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2017, 11:03:08 AM »
Man, sounds great!

Can't wait to retire in 20 years so I can start playing again for real.
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

Malken

« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2017, 11:05:42 AM »
Does that include Rollout? Some of us have very valid fears about our current long lived pc's being completely useless in their originally designed roles/classes due to what SEEMS to be a massive increase in weapon skill caps. And we should not have to make sure our RL coincides with an announcement on a chat to have them dissuaded.

How do you plan to implement these? Will long lived PC's get to switch to the new system if they find their current class is not sitting where they feel there pc needs to be on this new chart?

A lot of these questions have been answered in the first few pages of the thread by Nergal I think. The posts are only a few months old so I think that the answers are probably still valid.

The current plan after the beta test is done is to let living characters at the time remain with the old classes, but new characters will not be able to select those classes. Over time as those old characters die out/store, everyone will eventually have one of the new classes.
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

Synthesis

« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2017, 12:36:42 PM »
Does that include Rollout? Some of us have very valid fears about our current long lived pc's being completely useless in their originally designed roles/classes due to what SEEMS to be a massive increase in weapon skill caps. And we should not have to make sure our RL coincides with an announcement on a chat to have them dissuaded.

How do you plan to implement these? Will long lived PC's get to switch to the new system if they find their current class is not sitting where they feel there pc needs to be on this new chart?

A lot of these questions have been answered in the first few pages of the thread by Nergal I think. The posts are only a few months old so I think that the answers are probably still valid.

The current plan after the beta test is done is to let living characters at the time remain with the old classes, but new characters will not be able to select those classes. Over time as those old characters die out/store, everyone will eventually have one of the new classes.

Now is your time to achieve that dwarven focus to be the greatest Warrior in the Known, people.  If you can survive long enough, you'll be the only one left!

Which of these will be available for d-elves?

Thought it was fairly obvious that Sun Runners would only get to play Dune Traders and Soh would only get to play Raiders?

Seriously though, going to hold off answering questions until Saturday.

The GDB is a better format for me to ask questions, because I'll be at work when the real-time Q&A is going on.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2017, 10:57:32 PM »
Which of these will be available for d-elves?

Thought it was fairly obvious that Sun Runners would only get to play Dune Traders and Soh would only get to play Raiders?

Seriously though, going to hold off answering questions until Saturday.

Your PC isn't useless in your current role and won't be made useless. Your PC is exactly as effective now as they were before. Your PC will be exactly as effective after the new guilds are launched as they are now. New guilds may have higher skill caps than your existing PC, but if your PC can mastercraft knotty fuckwood bangles now, they can mastercraft knotty fuckwood bangles post-launch too.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Riev

« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2017, 09:24:40 AM »
I believe the concern is that if a city assassin on the current system has significantly different skills or lower skill caps than "heavy combat criminal" in the grid, will people be allowed some sort of a switch?

We're all still playing a MUD here, not a MUSH. Some people may prefer their current skills, but certainly some people will want a taste of the "new" without needing to throw away a hundred hours of play time.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Synthesis

« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2017, 10:00:42 AM »
I believe the concern is that if a city assassin on the current system has significantly different skills or lower skill caps than "heavy combat criminal" in the grid, will people be allowed some sort of a switch?

We're all still playing a MUD here, not a MUSH. Some people may prefer their current skills, but certainly some people will want a taste of the "new" without needing to throw away a hundred hours of play time.

The new classes could be better.

They also could be worse.

My advice would be to just be patient.  Your PC will die eventually.

Fredd

« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2017, 10:42:13 AM »

Your PC isn't useless in your current role and won't be made useless. Your PC is exactly as effective now as they were before. Your PC will be exactly as effective after the new guilds are launched as they are now. New guilds may have higher skill caps than your existing PC, but if your PC can mastercraft knotty fuckwood bangles now, they can mastercraft knotty fuckwood bangles post-launch too.

You are essentially taking some people who inteded to make one class,  and turning them into a complete other, and then going "You still have the same exact abilities, why are you crying about how there's now a bunch of new classes that are better at what you intended to make?"

If I didn't set out to make a middle of the road fighter 3 months ago, why the FUCK would I want my guy to randomly become one after playing him for 3 months?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:49:08 AM by Fredd »
You have never had the urge to kill yourself, before now.

The mighty Tektolnes says, in Highlord-accented sirihish,
"cast mon un shut the fuck up ~Valasurus"

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2017, 11:07:04 AM »
I'm cautiously super excited about this.

Biggest fear: that none of the new guilds will be as cool as ranger.
"You know you've been playing too much Armageddon when you overhear one co-worker say to another, 'Grab your hat and let's go for a walk outside,' and you have this sinking feeling like someone's not coming back from that chat." - Gimfalisette

seidhr

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2017, 12:43:55 PM »

You are essentially taking some people who inteded to make one class,  and turning them into a complete other, and then going "You still have the same exact abilities, why are you crying about how there's now a bunch of new classes that are better at what you intended to make?"

If I didn't set out to make a middle of the road fighter 3 months ago, why the FUCK would I want my guy to randomly become one after playing him for 3 months?

We're not turning them into anything, is the thing.  They're the same as they ever were - as you go on and say yourself in the next sentence.   ???

Your really-great-at-fighting "warrior" will still be a really great fighter after the revamp.  He will not be "middle of the road."

Feels like complaining for the sake of complaining here.

Riev

« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2017, 01:01:47 PM »

Feels like superiority demeaning concern here.

We have no information other than to wait for the AMA. As staff, you know all the answers. Some players also have much information from being ex-staff, friends with staff, etc.

There should be, and is, a legitimate concern that the framework of the game we all play together is changing. If I intended my Warrior/Slipknife to be more of a heavy city combat character, and not a heavy criminal combat character, how do I know I'm "where I should be"? I chose the guild and subguild combination based on factors that, with the revamp, may not be valid.

Have a mote of compassion or social tact and just say "your answers will have to wait for the AMA" rather than "Hmm sounds like complaining."
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Suhuy

« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2017, 01:21:08 PM »
What Riev said.

Synthesis

« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2017, 01:34:52 PM »
It pretty much is pointless complaining at this point.

When you app'ed your current PC, you knew what you were getting, and that's what you have.  I don't understand why you would be upset about someone having something different.

It's like getting mad that you bought a 2015 vehicle and Ford won't automatically upgrade you to a 2018.  I mean...you would laugh at anyone who posed that as a serious expectation, right?

Fredd

« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2017, 01:46:28 PM »

We're not turning them into anything, is the thing.  They're the same as they ever were - as you go on and say yourself in the next sentence.   ???

Your really-great-at-fighting "warrior" will still be a really great fighter after the revamp.  He will not be "middle of the road."

EXCUSE ME? Complaining for the sake of complaining? No. I'm complaining because it feels like you are doing a major patch to a game, and leaving everyone who has pc's on the old patch, with the old patch.

As Riev said. Some of us build people with an exact idea of how they will fit into the world. Now you are adjusting that overall fit, and telling me my complaint about things isn't valid.

For fucks sake, did you really just tell me my VALID CONCERN is fucking complaining for fucking complainings sake?  Some people are in PVP oriented clans. this update makes A HUGE IMPACT on how those people in those clans, can do their job. If they are a ranger. They just saw their combat ability fall quite a bit, because their ability to use weapons went from the second best in the game, to clearly in the middle. Yes they still have the same ability to fight. but the people they have to fight, suddenly became better then him.

Why the fuck did I come back to play this game if this is STILL how staff treats players worries?

You have never had the urge to kill yourself, before now.

The mighty Tektolnes says, in Highlord-accented sirihish,
"cast mon un shut the fuck up ~Valasurus"

Synthesis

« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2017, 01:50:52 PM »
If you're playing in a combat clan, you and everyone else are probably plateaued way beneath your guild maxes, anyway, so I mean...you got nothing to worry about.  You'll all plateau at "middle-of-the-road" together.  ::)

seidhr

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2017, 01:57:20 PM »
So you're saying we should just never update anything because when you made your PC 2 years ago, you had an understanding of where they fit into the game world.  So changing the game world, code mechanics, or virtually anything else that could (even indirectly - as in this case) impact your character is a bad idea.

That _is_ what you're saying.  And yeah, sorry - not sorry.

Synthesis

« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2017, 02:05:06 PM »
So you're saying we should just never update anything because when you made your PC 2 years ago, you had an understanding of where they fit into the game world.  So changing the game world, code mechanics, or virtually anything else that could (even indirectly - as in this case) impact your character is a bad idea.

That _is_ what you're saying.  And yeah, sorry - not sorry.

Nah, he's saying that if you change the game in some way, y'all owe him the ability to change his guild/subguild choices so that he doesn't suffer a perceived loss.

Another thought experiment:  let's say he rolled a warrior/master armorcrafter with the intent to mastercraft scrab shell items, but then y'all recoded scrabs so that they have (master) hide and are no longer aggro.  That would totally ruin his indie-solo-scrab-mastercrafter concept, because warriors can't scan, and the scrabs would all be sitting around hidden.  The argument wouldn't be "you can't do that to scrabs!" it would be "let me go back and pick ranger/master armorcrafter, because I can't do what I wanted to do anymore."

It's still not a reasonable expectation, but it's not what you've described.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2017, 02:15:08 PM »
This was announced in April.  If you started a PC 3 months ago, the answer was already there if we were going to convert you or not.

The absolute power of current guilds remains unchanged.  The relational power between existing guilds remains unchanged.  There will be a new relational power dynamic with the new guilds for existing guilds, but in that sense will not be any different than the relational power dynamic between new guilds themselves, as none of them are in play.  Putting your specific concerns around that into a specific question would be the sort of thing that would be great for the AMA.

If you, like Synthesis, are not able to attend the AMA, I would suggest using the AMA thread to clearly pose questions that you would like to see addressed.  It may well be you remind your fellow players to raise issues they may not have thought about during the AMA by doing so.  If we have time, and there are questions on areas not brought up by other players, it also gives staff a pool to draw questions from.

Adhira

• Producer
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2017, 02:16:36 PM »
Brokkr made a post to give some information on upcoming changes to help people formulate questions for this Saturdays discussion. Earlier on in the piece he did state that we would not be answering questions on this thread. I understand that some of you are impatient and want to know now, I also understand that some of you may not be able to, or do not wish to attend the discussion on Saturday.  Unfortunately that is where we are going to be discussing these changes in the first instance. As Brokkr has mentioned you are welcome to submit questions that we will try and address in the AMA. I will make a new, separate thread for that now.

A reminder to all - please keep your language and tone civil.   If you have a serious complaint or problem then submit a request so that we can discuss it properly. 

For now I'm locking this thread. Brokkr may continue to post updates here, but since we're not having any actual discussion there is no point keeping it as a discussing item. After this weekends chat we will post the log and may open up a different thread for discussion.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.