How do you play casually??

Started by Zenith, April 23, 2017, 08:39:49 PM

My free time dramatically changed a few months ago. I used to have 6 nights a week and many afternoons to play if I wanted to. Now I'm down to one MAYBE two nights a week that I can play. And some weeks maybe not at all. So I'm not playing now, because I honestly don't know how to. When I play I find myself causing chaos or other things that you just can't do if you only log in once a week. Even when I try not to.

So I am quite genuinely asking: how do you play casually?

I miss playing, but I am truly uncertain how to even go about it on a limited schedule. If you join a clan you're just wasting a spot that someone else could be using. Can you even hook into plots or make friends if you have such a limited amount of time to invest? Seriously... how does it work?

It is possible!

I know it is difficult because it is easy to get hooked into plots that whisper to you when you are offline. Armageddon is seductive like that. If you choose the right character though you can have fun in a limited role. The key is to think small and colourful. Roles that I consider background flavour. If you're not trying to become the star of the plots you can have a lot of fun one or two nights a week. Either a role that is best in small doses, like someone annoying (but fun), or a background that explains long absences. Here are some examples:

• The crazy beggar who tugs on everyone's sleeve for coins, except Magickers who freak her out!
  • The small time (your choice) artisan who makes a quiet living except when they occasionally get drunk in the tavern of choice!
  • The smooth gambler who is chasing ALL the women, except he needs to lay low from jealous men most of the time!
  • The bumbling pickpocket who spends more time in the dungeons than out of them!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

YOU DEFEAT ALL REAL LIFE INTERFERENCE TO RESUME PLAYING ARMAGEDDON ALL THE TIME, DANGIT.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I feel your pain, man. I've been in a similar situation for years. On the bright side, your life expectancy gets a lot longer. Even if it takes 3 months to hit 10 hours played.

Evade leadership roles like the plague is my advice and give whomever wants to befriend/recruit you a clear and obvious indication that your playtimes is waaaay sporadic. Should they choose to go with somebody else, dont take it personally and be thankful really. You can still enjoy Arm. I used to when I played. In a way, it even enhances the experiences somewhat.

Quote from: Zenith on April 23, 2017, 08:39:49 PM
My free time dramatically changed a few months ago. I used to have 6 nights a week and many afternoons to play if I wanted to. Now I'm down to one MAYBE two nights a week that I can play. And some weeks maybe not at all. So I'm not playing now, because I honestly don't know how to. When I play I find myself causing chaos or other things that you just can't do if you only log in once a week. Even when I try not to.

So I am quite genuinely asking: how do you play casually?

I miss playing, but I am truly uncertain how to even go about it on a limited schedule. If you join a clan you're just wasting a spot that someone else could be using. Can you even hook into plots or make friends if you have such a limited amount of time to invest? Seriously... how does it work?

A few tips from a filthy casual:
1.) Shrink the amount of friends your PC tries to make. The smaller the sphere, the more meaningful and interesting the interactions can be, anyway.
2.) Consider playing an indie that is a facilitator rather than a plot driver. Doing quests and providing a piece of the puzzle for someone else is something the game always needs in every area of the game.
3.) List out some IC goals for your PC that you can incrementally work toward. That way when you do run into other PCs, you've got your own thing going on. You wouldn't believe how interesting this makes you to others--and ironically they'll want to interact with you more. But being non-dependent on others for RP is critical to your enjoyment if your playtimes are low.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Pick a versatile solo PvE guild/subguild.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on April 24, 2017, 02:48:57 AM
Pick a versatile solo PvE guild/subguild.
Yep. Ranger all the way.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Or warrior with some sort of wayfinding subguild and a specific race can also take the metaphorical cake.

More important than guild or subguild choices or even character concept IMO is consistency. Lots of players can only show up for one or two days out of an entire week and yet they still seem to get things done. You might not want to consider apping for any sponsored roles with your current schedule but if you're a regular part of the game two days out of seven you can still accomplish goals and be a reliable presence for others. Your schedule is really not as bad as it sounds. You could be clanned or unclanned and still be an influential part of the game. Just do it.