Is it possible to die of old age?

Started by Exen44, April 21, 2017, 06:27:15 PM

It just occurred to me.. Is there a game mechanic that allows people to die from old age after they reach above and beyond the average lifespan of their race? I just thought it was interesting since very few characters in the world actually make it to the point that they could theoretically die from old age because let's face it, this is Armageddon. You're going to die one way or another. And it's going to be sooner rather than later.

Just thought this would be an interesting topic. Even if it doesn't become much of a discussion.
No shade and zero profit.

Yes.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Mind opening. Thanks.

I have no idea for certain, but I do remember reading a thread about a bloke who got so old that the guy asked staff to kill him, where upon he ICly had a heart attack or something and died. I couldnt tell you what thread it was in though.

I had a character that got so old I was asked to store.
Quote from: BhagharvaWhat you don't know can kill you. What you do know, can kill others.

To the north
[Near]
A lanky, brown-skinned gith is here, humping the rusty brown kank.
The rusty brown kank to the north bleats miserably.

Huh. So the staff contacts the player once they become really old and ask the player to store/kill him. That's pretty interesting, actually.

Somewhere there's an old post by Sanvean who said that generally staff let the player decide when the right time for their PC to die is and they will only intervene if the PC becomes ridiculously old. I remember a famous mul named Davaz dying of old age and thinking it was pretty cool. There was one or two more I recall dying of old age but their names and faces are forgotten to me now. Either way, it does happen (but requires staff support and is not something coded into the game, unless that's changed).

For the average Amos, the advanced aging code is pretty brutal.

What happens is that when a player logs in, staff get a notification about it.  We also get a notification when people age (when they log in) so the most common scenario for this is we see something like this, when someone logs in for the first time in 5+ years:

Steve (Steveman) has entered the game.
Steve (Steveman) has aged from 37 to 114, attributes adjusted as follows:
Old Stats:
  Str:  16  Agi:  14  Wis:  12:  End:  13
New Stats:
  Str: 2  Agi:  1  Wis: 14  End:  1

As someone already mentioned, the age code gets pretty brutal to one's stats (hey, better wis!) when you get up there to this extent.  In this case we'd probably send to the player and ask them if they'd like to roleplay out dying or simply be stored.

As far as I am aware, the game does not actually kill you automatically by virtue of simply aging, but in the above example, this guy would probably have single digit hp and stun, movement in the teens, unable to carry basically anything, and be nigh-unplayable.