Author Topic: Gardening/Horticulture/Agriculture Thread  (Read 13720 times)

boog

Re: Gardening/Horticulture/Agriculture Thread
« Reply #200 on: May 13, 2017, 05:14:17 PM »
I KNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I have to prune them anyway because I'm sticking them so close together.

But god almighty. :(

My youngest found one of the broken branches (because some neurotic bitch at the farmer's market grabbed my wagon from me so one of her lackeys could cart it around for me and she ended up toppling my fucking Pippin) and he played with it all day. He ... swept my mother's floor with the branch and has held onto the baby apples all day as though they were marbles. The branch is his new best friend.

Ooh, Ref, so lovely. Me, I'm just trying to make sure I have enough fruit in case the end of the world comes. Now I gotta buy some guns next. Maybe when the kids are older, because I don't trust my kids to not go playing with shit, and let's be honest: keeping a gun in a safe with a lock is just a hindrance if someone's gonna come into your house to kill you. So. Anyway. :x
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Melkor

« Reply #201 on: May 13, 2017, 05:41:08 PM »
Boog- Lols Kids are great. I cant wait to have my own. (Child labor muahahaha)
A .22 rifle is all you need. Versatile, easy to fire, cheap, and cheap+plentiful ammunition.
If you like, I can tell you how I was introduced to firearms at 5 years old, and why I never abused them in my life, despite having easy access to them, even as a young boy.

Refugee.. Beautiful country, man. I love it. Keep us updated with your slice of earth a time goes on.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Miradus

« Reply #202 on: May 13, 2017, 06:45:44 PM »

Why are they so close together?

Two trees crowded together will produce less fruit than one tree uncrowded.

boog

« Reply #203 on: May 13, 2017, 06:48:59 PM »
I've read and watched a lot of information about backyard orcharding and Dave Wilson Nurseries in particular thinks that you can hard prune trees to keep them small and close and to take up less space, especially if their rootstock is dwarf or semi-dwarf.

Trees of Antiquity recommends that if you're low on space that you can put multiple trees together in a rather large hole, 18" apart.

My mother only has about half of an acre. A lot of this is encroached upon by violets and invasive Japanese knotwood. She has a huge hill full of creeping brush that I have to take and whittle back every year. I don't have a ton of space left to work with!
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Miradus

« Reply #204 on: May 13, 2017, 07:10:52 PM »

Dave Wilson Nurseries sells trees, so you can expect them to advocate a method which sells more trees.

I don't do dwarf stock ever. They only live about 8-12 years and they don't start producing well until 4 years into it.

I've never heard of the Trees of Antiquity thing, but I've had TERRIBLE luck with old varieties. There's such a plague of tree diseases now due to the chemical spraying and proliferation that these old stocks just can't compete at all. Or they taste terrible.

If you're tight on space, skip the fruit trees and work in some lower level fruit producers. Grapevines can go right up the side of your house on a south-facing wall taking up almost NO growing space. And I've got an 80 year old grapevine I transplanted from Illinois when we moved and I'll take it with me when we move to Hawaii at the end of this year. It'll be producing for us again in four more years.

Berry bushes are great for fast production, but I'm not a big fan of berries. On our 10 acres here in Texas I established about 12 pecan trees but it'll be 10 years before they're producing. However they were a big selling point when we put the house on the market.

Go with smaller production to maximize your space. Trellis some grapes, line the boundaries with berry bushes, and put in a few beds of strawberries. You've got room for MAYBE two fruit trees if you space them out properly.

Refugee

« Reply #205 on: May 13, 2017, 07:21:27 PM »
In my opinion, the safest thing you can do about kids and guns is teach them the proper way to respect them from an early age.  Where I grew up everyone had multiple guns in their houses, and boys were universally given a .22 by the time they were 12 and allowed to carry them alone to hunt.  Kids didn't shoot each other or ourselves.  Just like you had to learn not to put the tractor in neutral at the top of the hill or just how to behave when a mean sow has a litter, it was a fact of farm living and the exact wrong thing is to make them mysterious and alluring, in my opinion. 

boog

« Reply #206 on: May 13, 2017, 07:23:11 PM »
I did buy a Mars grapevine that was discounted to $5 that I'm excited to plant!

I dunno. I guess I'm just used to closer spacing of trees! All the orchards I went to as a little girl in upstate New York were pretty closely spaced in rows!

Maybe commercial is different than backyard orcharding, but I plan on keeping the trees to only about 6 feet maximum because I'm short and I don't have the desire to have huge mounds of trees. And, you can always graft, so I'm not worried about the trees dying so much. On top of that, they were cheap, and they're at my mom's; if I move away, I'm not going to have such close or sure access for everything I've put at her house.

I have a ton of stuff there already, if you peek back a few pages. :)

And Ref, hehe, you've posted every time I mean to post! But, I agree. I just don't... live in rural anywhere, so having them shoot at things isn't really a thing I'm able to do right now. If I did it at my house in the town, I'd have CPS called on me. If I do it where my mom lives, I'd probably have the neighbors call the cops.

I want to move out to the country badly! But, it's not feasible at this moment.
There is only one boog.

Miradus

« Reply #207 on: May 14, 2017, 11:53:54 AM »

Tomato plants ... yeesh.

The ones I transplanted at the middle of March, covered with buckets on frosty nights, watered, nurtured, pampered, and babied ... the ones I planted direct from seed almost a month later are now just as big.

I don't know how many times I need to learn this lesson.

The soil and air temperature, as well as the hardiness of having a non-disturbed taproot from direct seeding, make the timeframe of tomato planting almost irrelevant. When the soil temps hit 68F, it's time to direct seed tomatoes. Doing so before just makes for a very slow-growing and maintenance heavy experience.

Maybe next year I'll learn.

Refugee

« Reply #208 on: May 14, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »
Wow...how long is your growing season?

All these years I've thought I needed to start them inside or else buy plants.

Miradus

« Reply #209 on: May 14, 2017, 01:48:08 PM »

Here in West Texas It's usually about 250 days or so IF you prepare to cover for a couple of light frosts.

When we lived in Illinois though I had to start plants in my greenhouse or they just wouldn't get to production before the killing frosts hit.

It just entirely depends on your climate.

boog

« Reply #210 on: May 14, 2017, 02:27:09 PM »
Yeah, here in NC it's completely unnecessary buttttt... I like babying stuff in the winter.

I get antsy for my plantsies!
There is only one boog.

Refugee

Miradus

« Reply #212 on: May 15, 2017, 09:44:51 PM »
That's an epic shot.

Those are dogwoods? They're huge.

Refugee

« Reply #213 on: May 15, 2017, 09:49:04 PM »
That one big one is.  It's awesome.  I've several smaller ones about the place but that one is huge.  We call the place Dogwood Mists Homestead.

boog

« Reply #214 on: May 15, 2017, 09:53:23 PM »
I wanna live there!
There is only one boog.

Refugee

« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2017, 09:55:09 PM »
If you raise meat rabbits, an app called Hutch is having free trials.  So far I like it and think I will subscribe.  I believe it would work for any breeding program, not just rabbits.  Check it out if you're interested. 

http://barntrax.com/

It would not be complicated to do all the functions with Excel, but it's pretty inexpensive and I like the ease of use. 

boog

« Reply #216 on: May 16, 2017, 01:42:39 PM »
Nothing too much at all to note, but:

http://imgur.com/a/JZUM5

I watered, fertilized, and tidied up a little today. Now I gotta go home and fertilize the pots and put the mulberries into containers!

Also, my grow light is miraculously working again. Hopefully I can catch these little seedlings up, since their counterparts I direct sowed into the ground haven't popped up at all. :(
There is only one boog.

boog

« Reply #217 on: May 18, 2017, 10:08:23 AM »
My Orient Wonder Yard Long Beans aren't doing so hot. It says they tolerate cooler and drier climates better than most yard long noodle beans, buuuut... After the nearly 2 weeks we had of straight rain, they look very diseased. :/

I might yank them out and put some Triomphe de Farcy beans in or something. They were a buck at Home Depot.
There is only one boog.

boog

« Reply #218 on: May 18, 2017, 02:52:46 PM »
The kids scarfed the shit out of the handful of Old North Sea strawberries I picked. I put out a slug trap and got -three- fucking slugs. THREE! Assholes!

I need to tidy this up and weed whack the encroaching shit from the hill to the right. I know. A few spots look bare, but there's stuff growing! They're just tiny right now.

These are some of those Oriental Wonders I'd talked about. There are a few that are still healthy and green, but for the most part, they're all mottled yellow. I don't usually deal with bean diseases, so I'm not sure what they could be dying from. Whatever. I'll yank 'em out for something better. Or different. Whatever!
There is only one boog.

boog

« Reply #219 on: May 19, 2017, 04:19:28 PM »
So glad I trellised my peas earlier just so they could be knocked down by this vicious ass thunderstorm and hail.

Fucking what the fuck.
There is only one boog.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #220 on: May 19, 2017, 04:47:02 PM »
Clearly God hates a gardener. Further proof: Jesus turns water into wine (thus cutting out vintners) and summons bread (suck it, wheat farmers!).
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Miradus

« Reply #221 on: May 19, 2017, 05:57:16 PM »

Every year provides its own particular challenges.

Gardening is not for pussies.

Marc

« Reply #222 on: May 19, 2017, 08:46:31 PM »
Birth is for pussies
Quote from: Zhaira
I don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: Mansa
Marc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
If getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

boog

« Reply #223 on: May 19, 2017, 10:31:00 PM »
To be fair, I'd trade giving birth 20 times without drugs for not having to weed my garden this year.
There is only one boog.

Miradus

« Reply #224 on: May 20, 2017, 12:22:32 PM »
To be fair, I'd trade giving birth 20 times without drugs for not having to weed my garden this year.

You know what will really piss you off about weeding?

90% of those weeds you're pulling are what people used to eat and they provide more vitamins and nutritional content than the plants you're making room for.

Their sin? They contain a lot of Vitamin B and thus taste bitter to the white man's sugar-coated tongue.