Author Topic: Gardening/Horticulture/Agriculture Thread  (Read 13556 times)

Delirium

• Helper
Re: Gardening/Horticulture/Agriculture Thread
« Reply #850 on: October 25, 2017, 05:24:53 PM »
I bet you would also enjoy golden pothos. Very easy to maintain and propagate. If it gets leggy just snip half the vine off, stick it in the soil, and viola, it'll root.
"Our whole lives are just stories." - Vikings

I get wherever I'm going, I get whatever I need
while my blood's still flowing and my heart still beats

Melkor

« Reply #851 on: October 26, 2017, 01:46:27 AM »
They sound like suitable choices to me!

You should look into bonzais. super interesting.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

stark

« Reply #852 on: October 26, 2017, 10:36:11 AM »
Good idea Delirium, I've had those before and didn't have any trouble with them! No bonsai for me Melkor. True story: I bought a miniature Japanese maple tree for a few hundred dollars fifteen years ago, with plans to grow it in a huge pot inside the house. As luck would have it, I was doing a little bit of landscaping in the backyard and found a really nice Russian willow and put it into a raised bed because I knew that anything willow means wild uncontrollable growth, but not as bad as mulberry, however, it's very close. While doing this, I realized the area was pretty sheltered and if I mulched it in really well and maybe covered it, the little Japanese maple (which was supposedly as tall as it would get at three-four feet high) would make it through cold Nebraska winters. Well, it got a little bigger, but nothing you'd really notice. Then I became disabled about four and a half years ago, and three years of that I was on enough pain meds to keep me mostly sleeping 20+ hours a day. So about a year ago I started waking up more and working with biofeedback to kick the pain killers, and one day I looked out into my back yard, whining about how nobody aside from myself cared. I saw that my raspberry bushes were gone (probably mowed down by the kid that was hired to mow the yard), my holly bush was gone, my magnolia tree was just a stump, but the willow was really doing okay. Then, I saw it, my mind didn't register it at first because it didn't fit into my memory, but my little miniature dwarf Japanese maple was a thirty five foot tree. Seriously. No more little things that require attention to stay little. Trees, like children, grow up, and unless you are there to work with it and keep on top of it, BAM! You got big trees.
What kind of jerkoff shakes a tent in the dark? Go out there and see who or what that is.

Melkor

« Reply #853 on: October 26, 2017, 11:51:10 AM »
HAHAHA!

That tree must have been so happy, though.

"NUTRIENTS!!!!" *Proceeds to shoot into the sky*

Melkor

« Reply #854 on: November 06, 2017, 03:42:20 PM »

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #855 on: November 09, 2017, 07:49:24 AM »
Hive mind can you help me identify the proper name for this plant? It grows/feels a lot like wandering jew but is a tropical. I'm a little obsessed with it but can't seem to find/ID it on Google.

Melkor

« Reply #856 on: November 09, 2017, 11:44:50 AM »
Rhoeo groundcover, maybe. From mexico, and grows in florida, so tropical, too.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #857 on: November 09, 2017, 02:33:36 PM »
You're good! Rhoeo spathacea. Boom. ID'd.

Melkor

« Reply #858 on: November 09, 2017, 10:12:44 PM »
*finger-guns*  ;)

Refugee

« Reply #859 on: November 09, 2017, 11:13:08 PM »
I took 7 of my growouts to a guy who wanted to buy one to beef up his breeding herd, which was smaller framed than he wanted.  He liked mine so much he bought 3!  Two does for $20 each and a buck for $15.  He even butchered out the remaining 4 for us for free.  On the way home I stopped to return a battery charger I'd borrowed from someone, and that guy bought one of the butchered rabbits for $10.  I cut him a deal because he's my sweetheart of an uncle.  He's going to tell others I will sell rabbits too.  So altogether a nice rabbit day. 

I also gave the rabbit guy one of my barred rock rooster chicks who is about 10 weeks old now.  He is trying to develop his own meat breed of chicken that grows big and fast but isn't so mutant it can't breed or walk without breaking legs...He wanted a barred roo to try to make his chicks easy to sex (you can do that with barred chickens, the males and females are obvious at hatching).  He planned to destroy the baby roos, but instead he is going to give me all I want for free.  I can raise them to eat, and give him the information on age and weight to help him with his breeding project.  Score!

Got my bees moved over into a better hive for the winter.  I hadn't looked at them for awhile and I was dismayed to find they were already mostly out of stores.  So I am feeding them already.  My queen was still alive and doing her queen things, I was glad to see, but the colony was much diminished from the last time I looked in on them.  I hope they make it through the winter.