Author Topic: Gardening/Horticulture/Agriculture Thread  (Read 12383 times)

Melkor

Re: Gardening/Horticulture/Agriculture Thread
« Reply #825 on: September 25, 2017, 06:22:38 PM »
I'd suggest doing a little reading on goats on the homestead. Also, if you're unfamiliar with goat's milk, I'd give it a try. It is pretty tasty.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Refugee

« Reply #826 on: September 25, 2017, 07:00:19 PM »
I've never tasted goat's milk.  It's something I should do, for sure.

Marc

« Reply #827 on: September 25, 2017, 07:18:22 PM »
I always heard goat milk was "weird".

I always heard that goats are escape artists.  The ol' "how do you tell if a fence is goat proof?  Throw a bucket of water at it.  If any gets through it ain't goat proof."

Now we keep a pair of Saanen's for milk.  They are some of the gentlest creatures I've ever been around until they try to head butt the dog.  We use premier1 electro netting and a solar energizer for them. Refer to my previous posts for specifics.

They never escape.  We let them wander free when we move them across the pasture and they just follow us around.  Get kids and touch them and hand feed them.

Goat milk is also great.  Fresh it's really no different from raw cows milk.  I find the flavor changes come from age.  Not necessarily "bad" just goatie!

They also eat a lot but don't expect them to brush hog anything as thick as your pinky.  Up here that means established blackberries and multaflora rose survive the goats (and the pigs for that matter).
Quote from: Zhaira
I don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: Mansa
Marc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
If getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Refugee

« Reply #828 on: September 25, 2017, 07:42:34 PM »
Last summer I bush hogged the blackberries with a rough cut mower towed behind a Honda Foreman.  They were 7 years old, most of them were probably 20' tall, arced over and all tangled.  It was a horrible chore.  Tore the crap out of my face and neck and arms and hands through denim and leather, no matter what I wore.  The entire hillside was either 7 year old pine or blackberry briars.  I would say 3 acres solid with blackberry brambles.  They come back every spring of course, I figure pigs can root up the rhizomes for me.

Melkor

« Reply #829 on: September 25, 2017, 11:26:10 PM »
If the roots are deprived of sunlight for too long due to their foliage being repeatedly eaten, they will die in the ground.

I need a few goats, but my budget is perfectly balanced right now; no room for goats.  Not responsibly, at least.

Picked up a bunch of bags full of leaf-litter from the dump, spread em out on the NE corner of my lot, where the soil turns rocky. A bunch of the persimmon seedlings I planted there didn't survive. 3 did.

Refugee

« Reply #830 on: September 26, 2017, 09:44:23 AM »
If the roots are deprived of sunlight for too long due to their foliage being repeatedly eaten, they will die in the ground.

One would think so.  But theory and reality often diverge.  Otherwise we wouldn't have such terrible issues with blackberry and bamboo infestations, and we do.

Melkor

« Reply #831 on: September 26, 2017, 10:07:30 AM »
I would argue that the issue in this case is consistency. A few days of sugar from new leaves is probably enough to sustain the roots for a couple weeks longer, or long enough to shoot out new leaves.

Hauwke

« Reply #832 on: September 26, 2017, 05:43:14 PM »
One time a few years back, our back yard was -riddled- with weeds and prickly plants of all sorts. So we got a bobcat in and dug the whole lot up, dropping it all by about an inch.

We then reseeded the yard with a few types of grass and spent the next 6~ months weeding it because apparently an inch of top soil wasnt enough. But! After all that weeding my mums backyard was gorgeous and had super soft lawn.

Refugee

« Reply #833 on: October 02, 2017, 04:15:10 PM »
My rooster isn't an asshole, but someone posted this and it cracked me up so I thought I'd share.

boog

« Reply #834 on: October 02, 2017, 04:31:38 PM »
My rooster isn't an asshole, but someone posted this and it cracked me up so I thought I'd share.

Heh. Shitty hen rehab, too.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Melkor

« Reply #835 on: October 02, 2017, 08:08:11 PM »
too right. gotta cook that rooster meat low n slow to get it real tender.

Refugee

« Reply #836 on: October 03, 2017, 06:45:02 PM »
10 new little pink rabbits this morning.  This girl had ten the last time too, but it was her first litter and two died.  That's still pretty awesome for a first litter. 

I have two bucks (not counting growouts who will be killed and never breed).  One is 2 years old, a monster Californian with amazing backstraps he passes on, the other is a pedigreed Rex who got laid for the first time today.  I put my most experienced doe in with him to teach him the ropes.  It was hilarious.  He was -very- enthusiastic.  But didn't quite understand what he was supposed to do.  He tried her from the side, from the front, she just sat there and I swear, rolled her eyes.  (OK maybe not but you could tell that was how she felt).  Finally he got it figured out and he has the funniest fall offs.  Kinda squeaks and throws himself over with a thump.  Hilarious.  He tried very hard to block us from taking her out of his cage. 

Hauwke

« Reply #837 on: October 03, 2017, 07:57:06 PM »
That doe sounds like the most patient critter ever, im sure getting humped in the ribs is an unpleasent experience.

Melkor

« Reply #838 on: October 04, 2017, 03:31:46 AM »
ayyy. Mazel tov on the new litter, ref.

Melkor

« Reply #839 on: October 12, 2017, 05:59:52 PM »

took longer to harvest than I thought, but they are growing nicely.

Refugee

« Reply #840 on: October 14, 2017, 11:34:53 AM »
Looking good!

Melkor

« Reply #841 on: October 14, 2017, 11:43:37 AM »
Thanks, Ref.

By the way, it is persimmon season! I just bought 40lbs of Fuyu off a buddy with an orchard down in Jonesville. Fuyu persimmons are my favorite fruit by far.

Refugee

« Reply #842 on: October 15, 2017, 02:45:50 PM »
40 lbs!  Jam?

Melkor

« Reply #843 on: October 15, 2017, 03:31:56 PM »
lmao no. I've been eating like 5 or 6 a day. my girlfriend eats 2 or 3 a day. When they are under-ripe, they are like a crisp apple. When they are ripe, they are like a tomato made of sugar lol. I'll probably give 5-10lbs out to friends, too.

Refugee

« Reply #844 on: October 17, 2017, 10:28:26 AM »
First frost this morning.  Brrr.  Rabbits are feisty and the chickens don't give a damn.

Melkor

« Reply #845 on: October 17, 2017, 12:31:46 PM »
Got a cool-snap over here today, too. It was in the high 60's here in north Florida, this morning. Summer has finally ended.

The arch of the sun now never makes contact with my house without touching the tree canopy. Prepare for my electric bill to plummet. Haaaaaaa!

Refugee

« Reply #846 on: October 17, 2017, 07:45:48 PM »
Nice!