Author Topic: Gardening/Horticulture/Agriculture Thread  (Read 11161 times)

Refugee

Re: Gardening/Horticulture/Agriculture Thread
« Reply #800 on: September 12, 2017, 06:33:06 PM »
Damn dog got out of the yard and chased the chickens.  They scattered all over the place.  We've found 5, but we're still missing 3.  No bodies so far.  Dammit.

Edited to add - They all came home at dusk.  Whew! 

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:52:25 PM by Refugee »

Melkor

« Reply #801 on: September 13, 2017, 08:11:05 PM »
Heh. Good hens. Its a lucky thing your dog resisted his predatory instincts.

Still no power, along with thousands others. Stores are barren. I imagine times like these must be terrible for the ill-prepared.
I grilled a ton of meat today, rather than let it spoil. I have about 20lb more in the freezer that is still frozen solid.

My garden is doing well. The chinese chives, the basil, the white satin carrots all sprouted, and the radishes are growing like weeds.

I havr about 3 or 4 more days of plumbing and gardening water in 5 gallon buckets. I'll need to make a water-walk soon.
I'm having a little too much fun.

So, it seems i live in a climate where i could potentially grow baobab trees. What do you guys think? Slowly phase out my oaks and replace them with baobabs.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Refugee

« Reply #802 on: September 14, 2017, 08:54:03 AM »
He is a Gordon Setter.  We saw him with one pinned to the ground in his mouth.  He has no training as a gun dog but he has a very soft mouth, as you want with a bird dog, and I think that is the instinct that probably saved the birds.  He was crazy joyful chasing them around...

I don't know much about baobabs.  Are your oaks big?

Refugee

« Reply #803 on: September 15, 2017, 10:32:52 AM »
Solid black woolly worm, and spoons in the persimmon seeds.  More signs for a bad winter.  The local expert (he actually has had a newspaper column since I was a kid in the weekly newspaper) says 8 rabbit-tracker snows by foggy mornings in August he counted.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #804 on: September 15, 2017, 01:56:56 PM »
I decided to do compost and cover crop this fall instead of try for a vegetable garden.

I'm hoping that by spring my soil will be in a much better place.
"Our whole lives are just stories." - Vikings

I get wherever I'm going, I get whatever I need
while my blood's still flowing and my heart still beats

Melkor

« Reply #805 on: September 16, 2017, 11:34:37 AM »
My power is back on. :)

Work has been super accommodating in many ways; they sent everyone home with a cooked turkey yesterday.

I changed my mind about the baobabs, I think. I may grow just one or two. I love my oaks; they are very tall, though not terribly old. There are a few that might be over 100 years, but not 200. I'll post a few tree pics soon.

Ref, just the other day I thought to myself that there are way more acorns growing rn on my trees than last year. I expect a harsh winter.

Delirium, are you going to use grass?

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #806 on: September 16, 2017, 11:42:07 AM »
I thought about winter rye but I have a raised bed and that could be a pain in the ass. I'm going to try out a mix with clovers, hairy vetch, mustard, collard, radishes, winter peas. I'll turn them all under before they start seeding out.

If that fails I can always plant some buckwheat?
"Our whole lives are just stories." - Vikings

I get wherever I'm going, I get whatever I need
while my blood's still flowing and my heart still beats

Refugee

« Reply #807 on: September 16, 2017, 01:59:04 PM »

Ref, just the other day I thought to myself that there are way more acorns growing rn on my trees than last year. I expect a harsh winter.

I learned when researching whether to run pigs in my woods that oaks don't drop acorns every year.  I never paid attention to it.  Here's an interesting read on it.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/jul/04/mystery-of-the-mast-years

When the dog scattered the chickens, we were chasing one old girl into the woods and found what might be a year round spring!  Fern covered and everything.  What a treasure that will be if it is.  We need to clear out so we can get in there and follow it.

Melkor

« Reply #808 on: September 16, 2017, 07:06:23 PM »
Deer love winter peas. We put plots of that down out in the woods for em, but they dont crowd out weeds as well as a rye.

Hmmm. Interesting. It makes sense that such long-lived lifeforms would have cycles.

I still think the coming winter will be a bitter one. The other night the temperature got down to the low 70s which is bizarre for Florida in september. That, and the last winter was incredibly mild.

edited to add: Thats awesome, ref. you should get one of those free mail-in water tests from home depot and take a look at the water.

https://imgur.com/a/v3KEA
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:45:35 AM by Melkor »

Refugee

« Reply #809 on: September 17, 2017, 09:08:32 AM »
All the old folklore signs around here say a bad winter.  But the Old Farmer's Almanac says otherwise, a lot of cold rain and less snow than usual.  Frankly I like snow better than cold rain if I have to be out in it.

Huh, Melkor, I am slightly surprised there are deer in Florida.  Are you feeding them for hunting or are you being altruistic?

boog

« Reply #810 on: September 17, 2017, 12:37:34 PM »
I'm hoping for a hard winter, because the bugs this year were atrocious, due to the mild, and incredibly warm winter we had here in NC. I've never dealt with such insect pests! It's bad, usually, but this was like apocalyptic.

I'm still harvesting little bits of peas and my favas are growing well. We don't usually have a hard frost until November, so I'm tempted to plant out some mini heads of cabbage, but I just don't know!
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Melkor

« Reply #811 on: September 17, 2017, 03:53:26 PM »
My only concern with a harsh winter is how much frost sticks to the plants. I have a few trees that are not frost hardy, but I planted them in protected areas, so we'll see on that.

Lol Ref. They are for hunting. The last plot i put down was on a friend's property, near his tree-stand. Trail-cam sees how often and what time they run through to graze.

But yeah, deer run throughout the whole of florida. Florida's hunting scene is decent; Deer, hog, gator, turkey, small-game, small-fowl, python, and even bears.

boog

« Reply #812 on: September 17, 2017, 09:14:50 PM »
There are at least cuddly things to put around trees these days to keep them warmer. Hell, I'll knit them a scarf. ;) In reality, however, I'm meaning there are plastic shields to keep them insulated, blankets, hell, even white sheets.

I haven't planted any tropical trees. I don't want to plant anything too permanent until I buy my own house.

I am really debating on gardening next year because the bamboo is spreading... Everywhere. I'm really despairing about it.

I found a huge main root that couldn't even be snipped with shears, it was so tough, when I was laying out the square foot pea row. The root was about a half foot down into the ground and I thought it was a rock at first. :/

I'm going to have to till deeply into the ground when it gets cooler out (it's still 85 outside), and fill the trench I excavate with cement after all.

My mother, as much as I hate it, has been yanking as much bamboo shoots as she can and then has been dropping Roundup into the holes. She hasn't done it in my garden, but I get weird with it around my kids, so...

Anyway. I also helped clear her hill in spring. It's now filled again and overgrown with poison ivy, knotwood saplings, crawling, thorny vines, and a riot of other kankshit.

Ugh.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Melkor

« Reply #813 on: September 17, 2017, 11:38:40 PM »
I'm not huge on glyphosate either, but if your bamboo is as terrible as it sounds, I would say its worth it. Buy a big jug and spray the bamboo every other day until it is dead. IIRC, Glyphosate is supposed to break down in soil within ~2 weeks.

boog

« Reply #814 on: September 18, 2017, 08:57:56 AM »
It is -everywhere- and it's making me miserable.

My mom thought about buying a huge jug to kill everything on her hill, too, because no matter how much we hack it down, it just keeps coming back.

Her mistakes in home buying are definitely lessons for me. I'm going to buy as much of a cleared out property as I can and if anything looks like bamboo/knotwood, I will refuse to buy the home. >_>

I'll take pictures the next time I'm over at her place. UGH.
There is only one boog.

Refugee

« Reply #815 on: September 24, 2017, 03:45:10 PM »
Ten little Barred Plymouth Rock chicks, straight run.  I found out after I got home that you can sex this breed by the spots on their heads, and the color of their legs.  So I have three roosters and seven pullets.  I would have chosen two roos out of ten so that worked out pretty good considering.

solera

« Reply #816 on: September 24, 2017, 05:19:52 PM »
Once we bought a batch of various purebred eggs (about 5 of each) . We found the barred rocks got picked on by their peers. In the end. for one reason or another, none of them lived to be old.
My favourite breed was the Ancona. They're a light,  good egg layer.
But more important, their flecking was carried through the whole flock and we got some very pretty hens  to look at.

Refugee

« Reply #817 on: September 24, 2017, 05:40:40 PM »
Barred rocks are very docile.  Do you think that's why?  Or maybe the pattern was attractive for pecking?

I have one barred rock in my mature flock and she is the alpha hen.

Melkor

« Reply #818 on: September 24, 2017, 06:54:16 PM »
My father always lets his roos fight it out for breeding privileges, and eats the loser. Its crude, but it is a good way of making sure the guardian of the hens is the strongest fighter.

You're gonna be crankin out protein, ref. Good work.

Refugee

« Reply #819 on: September 24, 2017, 07:36:38 PM »
My father always lets his roos fight it out for breeding privileges, and eats the loser. Its crude, but it is a good way of making sure the guardian of the hens is the strongest fighter.

You're gonna be crankin out protein, ref. Good work.
That's my plan too.  If these three males make it to breeding age, they and Peckerhead can decide who goes in the pot.  I might keep two roos, since I would have potentially 14 hens, which might be enough for two roos and might not, depending.  Usually you want ten hens to a roo to keep them from being idiots. 

You know I'm thinking about pigs next spring.  Now I'm considering American Guinea Hogs.  We don't need a whole big pig's worth of meat.  And I think we could handle the butchering of a six month old AGH ourselves, which would save a lot of money.  Also it'd be easier to deal with a smaller boar and keep one ourselves, instead of trying to find a boar to take the sows to or trying to deal with artificial insemination.  So instead of buying feeders every spring we could raise our own.  AGH are great foragers too.  The problem will be finding some nearby!

Melkor

« Reply #820 on: September 25, 2017, 01:49:34 AM »
ahaaa. Peckerhead FTW.

Man those guinea hogs are popular down here. You know they eat snakes and rats, right?

ShaLeah

« Reply #821 on: September 25, 2017, 10:40:36 AM »
I planted raspberry and blackberry things last year, they're still here this year but only one of them looks like it'll fruit. The other one is really tall but the leaves on the bottom are like gone. I think it's sick.

I'll post pictures when I get home.
Ginka sees your tears...

....and thinks they are delicious.
Quote from: Cenghiz
And ShaLeah's evil, by the way.

Refugee

« Reply #822 on: September 25, 2017, 12:38:50 PM »
ahaaa. Peckerhead FTW.

Man those guinea hogs are popular down here. You know they eat snakes and rats, right?

Pigs are generally awesome!  IF you don't keep them penned up in nasty tiny pens like we did when I was a kid.  I will either let them have the roam of my woods if I can get it adequately fenced, or rotate them over my cleared land and let them eradicate the cursed blackberries.  I could plant good grass behind them.

Melkor

« Reply #823 on: September 25, 2017, 02:54:22 PM »
Thats why I want goats, man. Fuck this creeping poison ivy down here in Florida. I dont want to have to eat poison ivy my whole life just so I can walk barefoot in the woods.

Pigs are great. I've never raised a pig and had to butcher it, though. I feel like it would hit me pretty hard in the feels, because they are so affectionate. Florida is overrun with feral hogs, anyway, though not in my immediate area. Too many farmers with rifles keeping the population in check. ;)

Refugee

« Reply #824 on: September 25, 2017, 04:17:00 PM »
Goats would be perfect for my property, since all but 1 acre are on a 20% slope!  But I have never been around them.  Everyone I know says they are miserable to try to keep enclosed.  Pigs are hard too, but at least I grew up with pigs and know about them.