Author Topic: Gardening/Horticulture/Agriculture Thread  (Read 33953 times)

boog

Re: Gardening/Horticulture/Agriculture Thread
« Reply #1100 on: April 17, 2018, 09:42:24 PM »
Yeah. Honestly, I want something more like the 7 or 8, so I'm fingers crossed that these places don't suck like the last. The one place has 3 bedrooms but only 1 bathroom, eesh. Maybe I'll build an outhouse, though my youngest won't use his great uncle's because he's scared he'll fall in ... 8)
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

X-D

« Reply #1101 on: April 17, 2018, 09:46:18 PM »
If you have boys they can go help out the compost heap  70% of the time ;)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

boog

« Reply #1102 on: April 17, 2018, 09:47:53 PM »
It's true! I only have two, but they poop enough for about 5 girls. ;)
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

boog

« Reply #1103 on: April 18, 2018, 03:27:51 PM »
I love the 8 acres! Neighbors are close enough where if I had an emergency I'd be okay, but they're far enough away that they won't report me to CPS when I have to yell to get my kids' attention because they're absorbed in whatever they're doing at the time, rofl.

The 7 acre house is too far out there, away from schools and work and civilization in general. And there are houses ... on the 7 acres that supposedly go with the listing?

:o :o :o

I potted up my Scarlet Strawberries, and my hybrids to replace the ones that died this winter that I bought from Lowe's. I really do like Quinault and Ozark Beauty -- they've proven themselves worthy enough to have a place in my garden forever. They wouldn't have died if I would've brought the plants in! But I didn't know it was gonna snow 5 times this year.
There is only one boog.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #1104 on: April 28, 2018, 02:16:19 PM »
ANTS >:(

AAAAAANNNNTS >:( >:( >:(

They're eating away at my sproutlings. I've twice put out ant traps and diatomaceous earth but they just keep coming.

Last year they had a massive aphid farm going on.

I guess I'm going to war.
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

X-D

« Reply #1105 on: April 28, 2018, 09:14:30 PM »
Ooohh, thanks for reminding me, I need to dust like everything. Cannot forget that. Well, Plant wise, everything survived all the silly weather, Figs took a hit but coming back strong, Plums and Beets laughed at the frost, Apples and horseradish were just like FUCK YOU...NOT COMING OUT TILL SURE IT IS SAFE!!!! Now going crazy, one apple keeps wanting to waste energy on flowers....snip snip, stop it little tree.

Was going to slaughter the gilt tomorrow but woman is sick and dealing with a 260lbs hog by myself...nah. So, he gets 1-2 weeks more...sucks because likely be close to 300lbs and the sow could be around 350 by the time I get to her. So instead, finish chicken tractor and move 15 pullets to it.

Gotta deal with the hogs soon because of cost, past 250lbs and you are starting to head towards the losing end of value along with the darn things being so cute they might become pets and you can't eat your pets.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #1106 on: May 01, 2018, 01:43:52 AM »
Whoa, I hope you get your acreage, boog!

I just got an offer accepted on 6 acres near town with a crazy fantastic view of Mount Adams. Now I've got three weeks to get it surveyed, assessed for septic, etc. Unlike a lot of land around here, most of it isn't unusably steep (though, I mean, I'm not gonna garden 6 acres anyway). It's a really pretty piece of ground.

They're eating away at my sproutlings. I've twice put out ant traps and diatomaceous earth but they just keep coming.

Glugh. Ants wrecked my beans last year. I sprayed them with water (to knock 'em off) and/or castile soap (to bother 'em), but
probably not consistently enough to matter.
then the father hen will call his chickens home

boog

« Reply #1107 on: May 05, 2018, 08:47:49 PM »
Ants -are- useful for aphids, though. They eat 'em.

Ecosystems are such interesting things.

And I hear you, X-D. I can probably kill a shitty fucking chicken, because let's face it, they're miniature dinosaurs and some can be assholes, but I don't think I could slaughter a pig or a cow on my own. I'd probably have to hire someone to do that for me.

Deer, though? Yeah. I'll shoot a fucking deer. After what they did to my melons (in b4 boob jokes) a few years in a row, I could kill any grown deer I see.
There is only one boog.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #1108 on: May 05, 2018, 09:48:27 PM »
Ants farm aphids.

Cind

« Reply #1109 on: May 06, 2018, 04:12:10 AM »
Deer, though? Yeah. I'll shoot a fucking deer. After what they did to my melons (in b4 boob jokes) a few years in a row, I could kill any grown deer I see.

The eternal problem we have is pigs, partly because you can't shoot the goddamn pigs on government-owned land, which I guess makes sense, but we only drove through to the park _once_ and saw maybe a dozen baby pigs and their two mamas. Adorable family, but I don't want the world to be razed to the ground.

People come here to hunt from florida, or go to florida from here to fish. Deer numbers had dropped one year, so they banned the shooting of females. I was young then and thought, seems like they'd try to let males live too a little, since they are pretty rare generally. Everyone wants to shoot a big buck. But the female ban worked, and the next year the deer were plentiful.

You can lay down corn and hunt over it here, our neighbor has taken to dumping a little corn across the street from his house, close to the road. Since you can't shoot in the direction of the road, I think he likes watching for them. That's a fine idea.

The ecosystem never seems perfectly balanced, I imagine that's normal, but am not sure. This year, the overpopulated sector is squirrels. They are _everywhere._

Still having rat problems. We caught a _huge_ rat in a trap that we are setting every night, as we don't have a kitten yet. That rat would have ate a kitten. I still get freaked out thinking about how big it was. We'd originally set the trap because the hinges of the cat food container (back when we had a cat last) were being pulled off every night. The night camera caught a possum eating the food. We caught the possum on the third night, after catching rats the first and second night. Man, I really wish we had a cat. I don't even care if it isn't nice.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

Cind

« Reply #1110 on: May 19, 2018, 09:58:08 PM »
We got an old man cat from the neighbor, we call him our neighbor although he lives about five miles down the road after the asphalt ends. He keeps in touch with humanity.

The cat set up shop on the scooter in the workshop and never sees the sun. That's fine with me, as long as he keeps the rats away, which he will do with his mere presence. I think he is too old to go do active things. Our previous cat was a young man, and the comparison is sharper. He's a sweet cat, and likes us a lot.

It is raining, and we are grateful. Got a couple rows of okra down the street.

About half of our hens went missing and I was a little worried, but then one of them showed back up with a butter-yellow, baby chick with a black stripe down its back. It was so cute and beautiful! New life really is wondrous. We're assuming the rest are brooding as well. Biscuit, one broody hen on a shelf outside that I'd been feeding and watering, went missing along with her egg today, after a long period of incubation. Like the first mother, we assume she is hiding her chick from society.

Refugee

« Reply #1111 on: June 06, 2018, 07:24:30 AM »
Anybody ever hear anything from Miradus?  Been wondering about his family with this volcano news.  I can't remember just which island he was on.

Hauwke

« Reply #1112 on: June 06, 2018, 07:36:36 AM »
Pretty sure he posted the other day.

Cind

« Reply #1113 on: June 06, 2018, 08:34:09 AM »
The chickens are reproducing quite a bit now, a black hen has one, the oldest I mentioned, Biscuit, a grey hen, has about seven or eight, another has around ten, and another has five-ish. At least, we think so. The hens have tended to vanish for a long time before showing back up with chicks, and even then they stick to the far edges of the property.

I'm sure most of the predators in the woods know that we're stocked up better than an Ihop but we're hoping some of them make it. The presence of the cats likely deters rats and cats, and our dog would deter the coyotes. Been a lot of snakes around, though. We killed a rattler and threw a rat snake into the woods recently in the past few days, been more before that.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #1114 on: June 07, 2018, 05:23:22 PM »
Unimpressed with bush beans vs pole beans. Definitely going back to pole beans next year. My pole beans kept producing well into fall. These bush beans are already peaking and it's only June!

boog

« Reply #1115 on: June 10, 2018, 12:13:46 AM »
Yeah. Successive planting is best with bush beans so you have a steady crop when they slow down their production. I don't have time for that kind of shit. Planting every week in the spring to extend bush beans' growing season? Don't make me laugh.

The tastiest and most prolific beans I've grown so far were those Chinese Yard Long Noodle beans I grew last year. Flavorful and huge and resistant to the shitty diseases down here.
There is only one boog.

X-D

« Reply #1116 on: June 14, 2018, 12:55:36 AM »
One nice thing about Arkansas over AZ on the gardening front. Bumble bees. Never saw any in AZ, and without them, Tomato yields suffer greatly...specially if you are too lazy to go out and pollinate by hand. Plenty of Bumble bees here, tomatos doing great. Harvesting squash and cucumbers for a week now. Have to harvest some chickens and rabbits and ducks this weekend. Named the two ducks that we are keeping. The male is Fat-duckMcFloppyfeet and the female is MsQuacksalot (Any time I get out of sight she ramps up the noise) Keeping Floppyfeet because He takes no shit from any of the other animals and protects the other ducklings while liking people and the female because she likes people (and is not related to Floppyfeet) It is funny watching a 2/3 grown duckling chasing roosters and dogs and horses around...well, he chases after the horses, who just stand there and look at him of course.

Speaking of horses, No mules from when they went in season this time, the Dominant Mare wanted to kill the male donkey from down the road. Next time they in season gonna get the one from across the street, I think they are more familier with each other.
Lizzie:

boog

« Reply #1117 on: June 14, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »
Oh! We are putting in an offer at the eight acres.

Truth be told, here is forty acres about 45 minutes a way that's Id love to have, but... Ah, well. 8)

We will see how this goes, first!

X-D -- is it turkeys and chickens you can't keep together? I thought someone ate someone else when it came to the farm birds.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:34:40 AM by boog »
There is only one boog.

PriestlySiren

« Reply #1118 on: June 14, 2018, 10:38:17 AM »
I have the opposite of a green thumb. My dad and grandfather both do gardens, but I managed to kill my knock-out roses. Lol
if you aren't supposed to kill players why do they have money on their bodies when they die

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #1119 on: June 14, 2018, 11:14:46 AM »
Roses can be finnicky. And they're prone to disease.

boog

« Reply #1120 on: June 14, 2018, 01:22:47 PM »
Yep. They're a PITA, which is why there are so many hybrid varieties.

They are super susceptible to wilt and other fungi. They're related to blackberries and raspberries, and all of the shit they can die from is, well, related. :/
There is only one boog.

X-D

« Reply #1121 on: June 14, 2018, 08:20:18 PM »
Eight acres will be plenty for you to take care of I assure you, 45 acres would be if you were thinking commercial IMO. Well, I do not know for sure...I would assume turkeys and chickens because chickens and ducks/geese are enough different to mostly ignore each other. While turkeys and chickens are much more alike and Chickens are downright aggressive. Like, we have what are essentially 3 different flocks, couple weeks ago a pullet from one flock got mixed in with a different flock, in only one day that pullet lost all the skin from the top of its head all the way down the back of the neck to the wings. It is in the freezer now.
Lizzie:

boog

« Reply #1122 on: June 15, 2018, 12:19:58 PM »
Yeah. The house on the 45 acres is nicer, though. But it's like an hour away from everything, and that's not a preference for most people (besides me, because I fuckin' hate people). I'm gonna really have to put work into this house that's on the 8 -- but it's at a really good spot, close to town and amenities, and beyond that, the highway is semi-close to it, and with how much construction's been going on lately, I think it'll be an area that people will want to invest in, too.

I kinda wanna start a food forest, where there are fruit trees and bushes that just sprawl everywhere, and people can come and pick stuff. Something low maintenance. Heh.

Where's M and the other M when you need to consult them!?
There is only one boog.

boog

« Reply #1123 on: June 15, 2018, 04:43:15 PM »
The house doesn't have ac, but it's solid in its old age. We could make more than half our money back if we sold even half of the land, so!

Signing the papers now to make the offer!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 05:33:14 PM by boog »
There is only one boog.

Cind

« Reply #1124 on: June 18, 2018, 08:08:48 AM »
One time we had around five turkeys, five chickens, two ducks and two geese. The ducks and geese always hung out together, as did the turks and chickens. In terms of friendliness to humans, it was turkeys, chickens, geese and ducks, in that order, with the ducks not caring whether we lived or died. The turkeys were practically sweet, especially this one beige female. Unfortunately a group of loose dogs attacked them and left most of them dead during a short period where we didn't have a dog at our house. But, when you have livestock you learn to deal with the deaths.

We got rid of the two roosters we had mixed with our hens, though at least half of the babies are still here. We learned that one of the roosters was a psychopathic killer and he had been the reason that the other rooster no longer had a tail. Our princess hen, Rosie, was being pecked bloody all over her head and one of her eyes and we found out, and he's no longer with us. I would have shot that rooster myself if I'd known he was responsible for that.

Despite the stories you hear, there are good roosters--- but be prepared for bad ones, too, especially if you notice some missing feathers.

We put in one of our male minipigs with a male and a female--- and he went right up to the resident male and started messing with him. The resident male beat him up for a whole day, and now he's pretty messed up, even though he started it. On most days the animals are fun to watch. I mean, we know the boys will beat each other up if penned together, but pigs are smart and crafty and are one of the few animals smart enough to want to sneak out, so they ended up together.

The eldest chick is about half-grown now and I'm kind of rooting for him or her. I want some of them to make it.