Author Topic: Gardening/Horticulture/Agriculture Thread  (Read 28133 times)

chrisdcoulombe

Re: Gardening/Horticulture/Agriculture Thread
« Reply #1075 on: March 27, 2018, 07:35:42 AM »
I don't even bother planting till june where I live.  Except potatoes.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Cind

« Reply #1076 on: March 27, 2018, 10:08:23 AM »
Apparently there is a bear around now. First thing everyone asks: "Is bear meat any good?" Those who know say "Yes, it is a delicacy." So, I'm kind of worried, because we have a closed coop full of Chick-Fil-A and pens of pork, but also excited, because we're probably going to get a cut at some point. Also a bit sad, because I know that bear's going to die if it doesn't go back where it came from.

We know its a bear because it tore metal corn feeders in the woods off their hinges and left claw marks of the requisite size on the trees nearby. I'm thinking its some bright-eyed young, small black bear, helping to quell the recent explosion in pig population.

Turkey season here now. We usually don't partake. We do accept deer sausage sometimes with thanks and cinnamon buns. My mom makes some mean cinnamon rolls. Its kind of sweet they go to the trouble of having the sausage processed first. About half the time its the sausage, occasionally its loin or something.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

Melkor

« Reply #1077 on: March 27, 2018, 11:43:30 AM »
Bear meat is enjoyable in a stew, or a pot-roast. You dont really want to cook it like a steak because you HAVE TO cook it well-done if you dont want trichinosis.

I'm jealous of the guy who gets the pelt.

We have black bears in my county, but I've never seen them, nor have I seen bear-sign. i'd see bear scat and markings in the California mountains fairly regularly, which, as a kid, meant I turned around and went back the way I came. I didn't have much confidence in my mossberg .22 fending off a bear, and I wasn't too hot on the idea of rolling into a ball on the ground and letting it bat me around until it was bored.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Grapes

« Reply #1078 on: March 27, 2018, 08:50:42 PM »
Using a .22 on a bear? That's so counter-productive it hurts my brain. Bears are very tough so very hard to put down, it's best not to fuss about with smaller firearms with them because you're just going to piss them off, very successfully. Likely wise to know the signs a bear has been through and turn back, though it's not like they're all that aggressive if they aren't, say, grizzlies, or polar bears.

That said, stew? I've been fascinated by the chicken discussion thus far, but had nothing to contribute, so just enjoyed reading, but I would like to know how bear stew tastes.

ETA: People get up in arms about certain dog breeds, a bear is like, 20 times more dangerous, even if it's a small bear. I've never been attacked by wildlife, but there were instances in my life where it may have been a conceivable outcome that I would be, as I liked to crawl through the wilderness and sneak around. Never seen a bear in the wild, but I do live with a healthy fear of big cats, I grew up with a half-bobcat, loved that cat, but I doubt the whole real deal would end well.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:00:55 PM by Grapes »
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Melkor

« Reply #1079 on: March 28, 2018, 02:46:14 AM »
Yeah, thats what I said. As a 7 year old, I only had a mossberg .22lr. Thats what I brought with me into the woods, and I knew it wouldnt do much to a bear, so if I saw bear-sign, I'd turn around and go back the way I came. If my brothers were with me, however, we'd proceed. They were 4 and 6 years older than be, so they had better weapons. I remember one time we were out in the woods a few miles down the mountain and we crossed paths with a feral stallion. That was scary as fuck. It was presenting, staring straight at us and punching the ground with one of its front hooves. I was a little kid, and I was too scared to even aim my rifle, but my brothers did, and we all walked backwards. Legit terrifying how massive it was, but the unpredictability was the worst part. I had bad dreams about feral horses a couple times afterwards.

I remember bear tasting like strong, fishy venison. Not that bad, tbh. My family got a bunch of bear meat from our family friends who lived on the reservation. We didn't hunt bear.

Grapes

« Reply #1080 on: March 29, 2018, 07:29:49 AM »
Sounds smart, fucking with a bear is typically unwise, and as we've already gone over, unless you're insanely lucky, you're not going to stop a bear with a .22, you're also not going to stop a mountain lion with one, but for, completely different reasons.

ETA: Ideslly for a big cat you'd want something full auto that you could spray, or a shotgun. big cats are predators, and are not a joke, they also move very quickly.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 07:38:27 AM by Grapes »
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

X-D

« Reply #1081 on: March 30, 2018, 12:11:49 AM »
You can stop anything on this side of the world with a good .22 and hot ammo. And not by being lucky. a 36-40 grain .22 round moving at least 1200fps will go through any skull in north America. The problem is not the gun or the round it is the user and the situation. 

Also, Bear are just as fast...in that situation, close up big cat, bear, moose etc, a shotgun or semi-auto rifle not good at all. You really want a good pistol, wheel gun or semi. .44, 10mm, .357mag .357 sig, .45 long colt etc.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Melkor

« Reply #1082 on: April 03, 2018, 12:08:43 PM »
Just weeded, partially tilled (not all the beds), and planted. Icicle radishes, Collard greens, japanese bunching onions, and a few artichoke seeds a buddy gave me.

I also started my tomatoes in pots.

boog

« Reply #1083 on: April 11, 2018, 10:23:42 PM »
I have to plant my last 2 apple trees this Saturday, spring fertilize the trees and blueberries, weed the garden, and plant on a smaller scale this year.

Hoooopefully, I'll have my own space next year, so I won't have to fuck with my mother's house, her terrible soil, and her Japanese knotwood infestation.

Also, a friend of a friend has a farm and said he might have work for me this summer. Ayeeeeee.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Refugee

« Reply #1084 on: April 12, 2018, 10:05:46 AM »
Well, it's been a rough spring on the homestead.  The constant flipping back and forth from warm days to freezing temperatures seems to have been pretty harmful.  We lost 5 litters of rabbits and can't meet our contract delivery for May.  Four of them were first time moms and you expect trouble but the other was my best, most experienced doe.  The bees had made it in some unknown numbers until March, you could hear them buzzing and I didn't want to open the hive to check and waste their warmth, but they are dead now.  I'm concerned about the trees in the orchard.  We'll have to wait and see how well they handled freezing after budding.

Having said that, it's sunny and warm and supposed to be 80 tomorrow and I hope the freezes are over.  I've three large litters of bunnies in the rabbitry, born this week.  The chickens are enthusiastic about spring and we have eggs coming out our ears.  My cousin is selling off his many farms around us and has a huge barn full of stuff his company has collected tearing down old buildings that he's looking to get rid of, including a lot of free lumber he offered us.  I may have a new chicken coop in the near future!

Sometimes you just have to knuckle down, buckle down, and hold on.

X-D

« Reply #1085 on: April 12, 2018, 05:38:04 PM »
In my case, rabbits all fine, only thing damaged by frost was the figs, and even that was maybe 20 leaves on each tree, they had just started putting them out so they should be fine. Plums had plenty of leaves but frost did not bother them at all, Apples just now opening buds so they are good. Having issues with my Ameraucana hybrids. Only 1 of 5 has survived hatching so far...and even with it I had to intervene...silly thing looks just like furby...without ears. Issue seems to be that the hybrid is Barred rock rooster...So, big chicken little egg. They simply do not have enough room for air so pip WAY early and start to dry out and have other issues. So, gonna see what I can get from the rest already in incubation, pull the Rock out and put the road island in, smaller chicken, hopefully smaller chicks. Ooohh, and my horseradish is coming up, I am so happy. Two of the older red hens are done laying...so, they got caged for fattening...but one died on its own. A bit annoying, chickens are for humans not hogs...oh well, hogs did not complain. Besides, they converting chicken into bacon so I still win.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

boog

« Reply #1086 on: April 13, 2018, 03:50:52 PM »
Looking at a nice little house on 5 acres that's still only 10 minutes away from town (groceries/gas), and 15 from work. Cross your fingers and toes for me and the boys, please!

After our last adventure into the mountains a couple of weeks ago, we all agreed that we want a couple of goats. :x
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

X-D

« Reply #1087 on: April 13, 2018, 07:28:40 PM »
Good Luck, 5 acres is a reasonable chunk, 5 of my 15 is cleared for grazing and supports the 3 horses with no problems, I am going to move the fence though so 2 acres of woods is available to the animals as well.
Lizzie:

boog

« Reply #1088 on: April 13, 2018, 07:49:20 PM »
I don't really have a desire for horses! I never have. I fell off of one when I was 13 and I just ... meh. Cows, though? Pigs. Sheep! Goats. Something. I'd take whatever I could get ... plus chickens. 8)

I would love more land, but shit around here's expensive. I've been considering building my own home, too, mostly because building + land seems to be cheaper or equal to the houses upon paltry sums of land that you could otherwise buy.

Anyone have experience here with building their own? :O
There is only one boog.

X-D

« Reply #1089 on: April 13, 2018, 08:41:46 PM »
I was not saying to get horses, I was just saying it is enough to support some, and when you consider that they are very inefficient then you can support greater numbers of more efficient animals.

I am in the process of building own house, 36x36x12. 70% done, should have it completed by late summer. Looks like I will have around 22-25K into it when done. Will have cedar siding and hardwood inside, floor and walls. Luckily I have a sawmill about 5 miles away where I can get cedar off cuts for $20 a ton and hardwood for $15. So, including price of diesel...Oh and blades for planer and nails, I will be siding it for around $200. (half done now and have like $100 in). Got metal roof, roof joists, screws, nails, 2"x6"x12' studs at auction for $2200.

Oh, auctions can be your friend. Got glass for windows, 50 36"x36" sheets (way more then need but will use rest for greenhouse) Wood stove with pipe for $200, tractor with front loader and backhoe and brush hog for $1800...sure, built in 1956, but it works.

Looks like I was right about the chickens, amauricana just hatched, father is road island red, popped out just fine....2 more pipped, see how they do.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 09:06:17 PM by X-D »
Lizzie:

Refugee

« Reply #1090 on: April 13, 2018, 10:30:24 PM »
We're building our own but we started with a 12x40 shed that was brought to our land.  We've been living in it as we finished it, and added onto it.  This was a quick way to have a dried in shelter and it cost about $8k.

That close to town you might have codes against it though.

boog

« Reply #1091 on: April 14, 2018, 01:24:55 AM »
Oh, I was musing in reply about the horses. I didn't mean to suggest you'd suggested having any. :) they're just one farm animal I've never had a sort of kinship with.
There is only one boog.

X-D

« Reply #1092 on: April 14, 2018, 03:13:52 AM »
Mine are like big funny dogs.

And I live like 20 minutes or so from city, far enough out to not have to worry about building codes. WEEEEE!!!
Lizzie:

Cind

« Reply #1093 on: April 14, 2018, 05:33:42 AM »
We (the neighborhood) tend not to raise anything bigger than goats out here, if that, mostly because they eat a lot more than they give back. An E3 (or maybe E4, but he drives trucks now) purchased Jersey male calves and raised them for a while in order to get them butchered and have some homegrown burger. Because he had a full-time job and they were still young, his girlfriend did most of the work, and then they broke up and I think he was forced to have them slaughtered before he really wanted to, but I vaguely remember us getting some ground meat for burger-making. It was good stuff.

The calves were a straight, warm medium brown, a couple had those big white spots between their eyes. Their mothers were crossed with a different breed, I think. It was to make the calves smaller and the birth easier since the mothers were having their firsts. And then you don't need many males in professional farming so they were a lot cheaper, and the female calves were expensive enough to him (and to me, as I recall, I asked because I thought that a farm of cows would be cool) to not consider getting one and raising them as a family unit.

That guy still rents a trailer here, even though no one ever sees him. He's like a ghost.

No word on the bear yet. It is possible the bear is smart, scared and/or has learned a fear of people. He may be a 'catch-and-release,' where wildlife officials catch a troublemaking bear and then release them in a new area with lots of barking dogs, firecrackers and pellet guns. The point is to cement a fear of people in the bear.

Its only been a month without the cat and there's persistent signs of mice around the property. Ugh. We're kind of waiting for someone to offer a kitten, since its only a matter of time. Wild cats here are a permanent and populous member of the wildlife, so if your female is not spayed they will end up with kittens.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

boog

« Reply #1094 on: April 14, 2018, 05:45:41 PM »
Helped my mother move a tree's worth of wood to outside her garage. Planted the last two apple trees. Planted two mulberries. Dug up the irises she hated. Fertilized and trimmed everything. Blueberries are blooming and the bees are buzzing away!
There is only one boog.

boog

« Reply #1095 on: April 14, 2018, 05:50:29 PM »
Oh oh oh. And my pink lemonade blueberries have finally set blooms!!!!
There is only one boog.

boog

« Reply #1096 on: April 17, 2018, 10:04:30 AM »
Triple posting and IDGAF:

I'd planted this blueberry plant about 3 or 4 years ago and it NEVER set flowers. Last year, I transplanted all of my blueberries from our community plot to my mother's house (5 fucking plants, and they were so god damn heavy) and HARK, these fuckers finally have blooms on them! Yay. It's some Lowe's bought variety, so it's nothing special like my other blueberry plants, but I'm really excited! I have a lot of flowers set, and when the weather's been warm, there's a nice handful of honeybees buzzing around the blueberries and apple trees.

I'll link to the images in a bit. It's too cold to mulch or do anything outside right nowwww. The two apples I transplanted are going through a bit of transplant shock, I think, but they still have a few blooms on them, and where the petals have fallen, their reproductive organs are still hanging out for all to see! Such exhibitionists, these dang apple trees.
There is only one boog.

X-D

« Reply #1097 on: April 17, 2018, 08:16:36 PM »
Figs already showing recovery (weee!) 6 horse radish coming up...badass, should be able to harvest some this fall. Finished rooster pen today, started chicken tractors. Trying to figure out the issue with the wood ducks, the female does not seem to like the nest box...Guess I will get a log and auger it out...maybe she will like that. 10 chicken eggs hatched over weekend, 6 were amauricana hybrid and Road Island, so, confirmed on issue. Weighed hogs. Gilt 214lbs, sow 228lbs so, 4 more weeks. My sister and woman got the hogs thinking they had gotten 2 sow and only need find a boar....Had to hold gilt up and point it at them giving them shit about not seeing penis. So, will be slaughtering both next month...try again for breeding stock in fall.
Rabbits will be dropping again next week. Two weeks till first 15 pullets move outside. No swarms so far, but it has been cold. Wild squirrels/rabbits/doves getting it on....I am happy for them....will make for a good season. :)
Lizzie:

boog

« Reply #1098 on: April 17, 2018, 09:25:06 PM »
I've found some 7 and 8 acre bits of land. One of them has a functioning home, the other has only a 2 bedroom.

They're really well priced, too, soooo.

The 5 acre didn't pan out. It is a canyon of a ravine with woods and trees shared by 2 other families, wtf.

I'm looking at a 1.2 acre house nearby anyway, because you can do enough with an acre and also, it has an in ground pool. >_> <_<

I'm gonna try to reupload my pictures of my apple and blueberry blossoms. It isn't going well for whatever frigging reason. Ugh, I hate imgur.
There is only one boog.

X-D

« Reply #1099 on: April 17, 2018, 09:33:03 PM »
1 acre is actually really small once you have a house on it, not to mention neighbers tend to complain about all kinds of stupid shit.
Lizzie: