Author Topic: Building a PC - questions  (Read 178 times)

HavokBlue

• Helper
Building a PC - questions
« on: April 16, 2017, 07:56:01 PM »
I have a real job with real income now. My current desktop is approximately 4 years old and was built to maximize a $600 budget. Suffice to say, it struggles with games now.

I'm planning to build a new rig in about two weeks. Budget of roughly $1500.

Are there any particularly good resources with up-to-date builds or does anyone have build suggestions? I don't know how to maximize performance for price.

EDIT: I have monitors and peripherals!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:02:29 PM by HavokBlue »
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Lizzie

Re: Building a PC - questions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 08:04:19 PM »
If you're looking for a gaming computer, and don't want to have to build it yourself, you could consider an HP Omen 870 (not the X - that thing's pricing is over $2000, not including shipping or any extended warranty/service plan coverage). You can get the Omen 870 for around $1300 including shipping and service plan coverage, with a Square Trade 2-year expanded warranty. With the Square Trade plan if it's broke and they can't fix it, they'll either send you a refurb or give you a check for what you paid for the computer.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 08:06:23 PM »
I prefer to build my own unless there's a really good deal on a prebuild.

As a rule, I'm gonna avoid HP. ;)
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Hauwke

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 08:52:23 PM »
There is a good subreddit for this exact thing I have heard. Not sure what its called but they will buikd you the best computor they can within the budget.

James de Monet

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 09:23:12 PM »
Tom's Hardware is your friend for all benchmark and price point questions.  This page is best builds by price.

Edit: These builds were submitted by the community.  If they've done an (editor written) System Builder Marathon for 2017 yet, I can't find it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 09:30:45 PM by James de Monet »
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Dan

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 10:54:54 PM »
I really like https://pcpartpicker.com/ for new rigs.  It will (most of the time) automatically update the purchase location for the cheapest part that has the same specs as the builder sets.

With your budget, and maybe a little tweaking you could probably make a monster out of one of these:

Excellent rig with room for monitors/keyboard in your budget:  https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/RKRscf/excellent-gaming-build

Full-on $1500 for rig:  https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/mDFfrH/enthusiast-intel-gaming-build

I'd compare against Tom's Hardware posted by James.

EDIT: Grats on the job!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:02:32 PM by Dan »
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Inks

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 11:32:56 PM »
Strength agility endurance wisdom.

I usually get a good refurb and do it up.
Quote from: Is Friday
Quote from: Synthesis
I hate to break it to you noobs, but penetration isn't the only way to achieve orgasm.Do I have to fucking explain everything here?
Tell me more about your Golden Standard of HG Mudsex RP

Riev

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 01:01:19 PM »
Seconding what Dan said. If you have a decent idea of what you want, Tom's is a great resource. If you KNOW what you want, but you want to be sure its all compatible and whatnot, PCPartPicker has saved me from purchasing a sub-par stick of RAM because another, faster one was actually cheaper without a rebate.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

lordcooper

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 06:37:29 PM »
Full-on $1500 for rig:  https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/mDFfrH/enthusiast-intel-gaming-build

Basically just get that Havok, it's pretty much what I'd be buying if looking for an upgrade.  Don't bother with the k series cpu if you don't plan on overclocking, otherwise it's all good.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 08:29:54 PM »
I would go I7 7700k or an Amd 1800x you can probably pair those with a gtx 1070 and stay in budget. 
16 gb ddr4 ram
Probably a 600 watt power supply will be good as long as its not some generic brand.
Get a smaller ssd 250gb for your os and stuff you want to load really quick
And then a bigger hdd.  IDK about hybrid drives if you use an ssd.

Are you using your old case?

I just checked even with a case I built one like this for 1300 not really shopping around. 
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Yam

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 03:08:15 PM »
Check reddit.com/r/buildapc and reddit.com/r/buildapcsales. Your difficult choices are going to be AMD vs Intel for a CPU and AMD/Nvidia for a GPU.

If you want to dip your toes in the fuckload-of-core heaven that is AMD's Ryzen, go with a 1700. The 1700X and 1800X offer very little improved performance for the price. You can easily overclock a 1700 to nearly match the 1700X/1800X. This is at least true for the first run of chips. The 1700 is going to be the most cost efficient CPU for split gaming/productivity so give it some consideration.

Also Ryzens and their motherboards can be a bit picky about RAM. At least they were at launch - not sure if they still are. The general wisdom has always been that for most purposes, RAM doesn't matter and this is more or less true if you go with an Intel CPU. Not true for Ryzen - they actually perform better with faster RAM and there are some compatibility issues with different motherboards. If you do want to go this route do a little research. There should be an updated thread on RAM somewhere in /r/amd.

Strongly consider upgrading your monitor to a 144HZ model with FreeSync (AMD) or GSync (NVidia) and then buy a GPU based on that. You'll certainly have enough room in a $1500 budget if you're smart about other components.

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 03:39:31 PM »
I really like https://pcpartpicker.com/ for new rigs.  It will (most of the time) automatically update the purchase location for the cheapest part that has the same specs as the builder sets.

With your budget, and maybe a little tweaking you could probably make a monster out of one of these:

Excellent rig with room for monitors/keyboard in your budget:  https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/RKRscf/excellent-gaming-build

I'd compare against Tom's Hardware posted by James.

EDIT: Grats on the job!

I agree Solid build.   I would prob go i7 for $80 more
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!