Author Topic: Gunnerkrigg court  (Read 203 times)

Snapdragon

Gunnerkrigg court
« on: April 16, 2017, 12:21:56 AM »
Hey everyone.  I don't often post much but awhile ago I fell in love with an online comic called 'Gunnerkrigg Court'  or http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1  .  The art starts a little rough as the artist was doing this as a side time gig while working a full time job but maybe a year or two in, he started getting paid in Patreon and began to work this as a full time job.  It's got a strong story that evolves as the chararacters grow and age.  It's got magic and science and ghosts and gods and just pretty much everything!

All that said, I hope you enjoy.
Obscurity is the refuge of the weak.

BrokenRomance

Re: Gunnerkrigg court
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 10:15:43 AM »
I second this recommendation. My only complaint ever against Gunnerkrigg Court is it doesn't publish every single day like my thirst desires.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 02:26:43 PM »
I like it so far, but I wish there was more of a continuous plot between chapters. They seem more like (mostly) independent episodes so far.

Barsook

• Helper
    • The Sense of Openness
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 02:57:00 PM »
I like it so far, but I wish there was more of a continuous plot between chapters. They seem more like (mostly) independent episodes so far.

That what's makes me to dislike it, and I have read it for maybe two years.

BrokenRomance

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 05:55:04 PM »
There are small underlying plots behind the scenes, they just take awhile to resolve and stuff so they can be hard to notice.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 06:35:03 PM »
The first chapter hooked me immediately with the strange shadow... and I was disappointed that this super cool idea was abruptly resolved at the end of the first chapter, with many questions left unanswered. How cool would it have been if the shadow remained with Antimony as a permanent pet / companion of sorts!

Can anyone recommend some good (preferably dark) webcomic with a continuous story instead of independent episodes?

Pale Horse

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 06:37:42 PM »
The first chapter hooked me immediately with the strange shadow... and I was disappointed that this super cool idea was abruptly resolved at the end of the first chapter, with many questions left unanswered. How cool would it have been if the shadow remained with Antimony as a permanent pet / companion of sorts!

Can anyone recommend some good (preferably dark) webcomic with a continuous story instead of independent episodes?

I've been reading Gunnerkrigg Court for quite a while.

How far in did you get?  More story happens with the shadow, later on.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 06:44:37 PM »

Well... I read the first three chapters before deciding it was too episodic for me. I felt the same way about Firefly, though I watched more than half of it.

Pale Horse

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 08:54:43 PM »

Well... I read the first three chapters before deciding it was too episodic for me. I felt the same way about Firefly, though I watched more than half of it.

Like many comics, especially slice-of-life comics or those set at a school, the early parts of it help set up the backstory for later sections even if they do feel episodic.

The current chapter is dealing with the after affects of solving a situation that was brought up in chapter 8..which, actually, is the chapter where you see the shadow and robot return.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Mendel

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 10:11:01 AM »

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/

Last one I started following. It's pretty amazing.