Author Topic: Communism for Kids  (Read 7243 times)

Riev

Re: Communism for Kids
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2017, 12:59:11 PM »
Since we just -can't- control those terrible, terrible government employees, we should just skip the bureaucracy and put all wealth directly into the hands of the corrupt and self-serving.  That should fix things right up.   ::)

It'll trickle down to the masses in the same way my company ordered the Chief Officers and VPs to go on a managerial retreat to learn some new skills, because low and middle-management reported requiring extra training. By the time they got to it, problems got worse and it was a giant game of telephone.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

whitt

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2017, 01:26:21 PM »
Since we just -can't- control those terrible, terrible government employees, we should just skip the bureaucracy and put all wealth directly into the hands of the corrupt and self-serving.  That should fix things right up.   ::)

You really have nothing to add but snark.  Do you?
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Synthesis

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2017, 01:32:31 PM »
Ridiculous things gonna get ridiculed.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

whitt

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2017, 02:25:06 PM »
Ridiculous things gonna get ridiculed.

Empty can gonna echo.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2017, 02:29:06 PM »
Communism doesn't need to be any more complicated than "Run down and murder people who make more money than you," guys.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Synthesis

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2017, 04:19:48 PM »
murder everyone who makes more money than you

vs.

murder everyone who stands in the way of you making more money

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2017, 05:46:02 PM »
what if we eliminate systemic and institutional barriers preventing everyone from having an equal opportunity to make money and utilize our vast resources and collective knowledge to construct a sustainable social safety net so that nobody becomes mired in poverty and thusly may pursue free market success instead of scraping by at walmart on minimum wage
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

lordcooper

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2017, 06:50:20 PM »
what a fucking retard
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Synthesis

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2017, 06:56:53 PM »
what if we eliminate systemic and institutional barriers preventing everyone from having an equal opportunity to make money and utilize our vast resources and collective knowledge to construct a sustainable social safety net so that nobody becomes mired in poverty and thusly may pursue free market success instead of scraping by at walmart on minimum wage

That's what we already have, dontcha know?

The poors who are poor are poor because they made poor choices, and they deserve to suffer.

Melkor

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2017, 07:14:36 PM »
Looong ass day. Now I have 5 days off, the 5th of which, I will be getting paid for. Tell me again, little troll, how my life is not my own. :)

Skimming through, I see lots of worthwhile counterpoints made, and a few supporting points made, as well.

I'll read and respond to everything tonight. I'm tired, and hungry.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

boog

« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2017, 07:59:14 PM »

That's what we already have, dontcha know?

The poors who are poor are poor because they made poor choices, and they deserve to suffer.

But they have big screen TVs. They aren't really poor.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Melkor

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2017, 08:41:41 PM »
Quote from: Armaddict
Are you saying that only shit artists, writers, philosophers, poets, musicians, etc. have struggled under capitalist regimes?
Not at all, however, you said that "The Struggling Artist" would be a thing of the past. It shouldnt be, if there are still shit artists.

I never said that I wish to be COMPLETELY untaxed, however, if you look at the federal budget... Jesus christ there is a lot of fat to trim, especially in entitlements and subsidies.

Yes. Corporations receive HUGE subsidies that need to be cut. They can either keep their corporations here, or they can fuck off. Capitalism has nothing to do with giving money to corporations who pay their workers shit and use them until they're dried up husks ... that is, until it does.

I'm far more inclined to give a struggling family food stamps than to be handing out corporate tax breaks to companies who do a lot of business overseas or, again, pay their workers shit/don't give decent benefits/abuse laws and loopholes to get a whole lot of moola:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/business/economy/25tax.html

I am not a proponent of excessive taxes for the rich or for the poor. If you watch videos of the Congressional oversight committee, you'll see case after case of the US Govt abusing tax-dollars.
I do not find fault with companies using THE LAW to avoid paying taxes. What, you really think the US Govt needs more of our money?

I think food-stamps are good in purpose and theory, but bad in practice. Did you know you can buy steaks and lobster with EBT? When I was 18, I worked for wal-mart. It is disgustingly common.

Did you know that EBT is essentially a multi-billion dollar subsidy for Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola, and Wal-Mart?

WIC is better, because there are approved items you can buy. Milk, Eggs, Bread, etc.

What would be even better than that is free rice for everybody who needs it. Hungry? Go pick up a 20lb sack of rice for you and your family. You won't starve. When I moved out of my home at 17, i was working two jobs that paid less than minimum wage, under the table. I was a laborer for a general contractor, and I worked as a clerk at a Valero owned by a couple of Indian guys. Hemant and Roy. Cheap fucks. During this time, I was living off of rice, ramen, eggs, water, and multivitamins. It wasnt that bad. I was still able to pay rent, feed myself, clothe myself, and save enough money for a POS 97 nissan sentra, which allowed me to widen my search and get a slightly better job. Then better. Then better. Then better.

These types of entitlements should be strictly TEMPORARY. There is no reason other than severe disability that a person should remain permanently poor.

Often I hear Republicans state that they want tax breaks for corporations, so these large wealthy entities can assist in caring for the rest of the country, trickle down, etc etc.

Isn't the purpose of a Federal Government to be that AS A GOVERNMENT it is able to care for and protect all of its legal citizens? Isn't a wealthy corporation doing well enough and doesn't NEED federal care to take care of themselves? In fact isn't that a huge rift between D and R these days? Republicans want independent citizens to take care of the working classes (instead of the states, which is how it USED to be), whereas the Democrats feel that the Federal Government should have large programs that use all our tax dollars to try and give EVERYONE a leg up?

Considering the OP... where is your vitriol coming from? The fact that its from MIT Press? They didn't write it, they translated it from someone else. Did you read the synopsis? It doesn't seem like its corrupting children, or Stalinist communist propaganda. It actually seems to describe that "true communism isn't as easy as it seems".

So I guess my question is, again: What got up your butt about how this is so terrible? Is it that the title says "for kids"? Are you anti-Communism regardless of the medium? What is it?

I think the government should stay out of people's business, literally and figuratively, as much as possible. They should not bail-out failing businesses with tax-dollars. They should not give "stimulus packages." They should not give grants or scholarships for students. They should absolutely not be in the health-insurance business. People should, and can, care for themselves, when left to their own devices. It is when they know they will be wrapped in the warm embrace of entitlements upon their failure that they stop fighting tooth-and-nail to succeed.

Regarding my feelings toward the book itself... One, I am anti-communist, for the United States of America. The rest of the world can do what they want, even if it does lead to their governments slaughtering their own people. Not my business. My priorities are, in descending order: My Family, My Community, My state, My country.
I never said that MIT wrote the book. I said they published it for US consumption. You are wrong in your assertion that it is an informational story about how communism is hard to achieve. It paints it in an honorific light, of the way to achieve true happiness for all. My issue is that it is directed toward children. I worry that this book may find a place in American schools, and may corrupt our youth with aspirations of leeching off the government, rather than fighting for their own success and greatness. Look at the majority of college-aged Americans today. Many want their student loan debt paid off by the government.... The debt they signed contracts agreeing to incur. This is the epitome of avoiding responsibility.

more to come.

boog

« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2017, 08:59:47 PM »
I think using your lucky situation as evidence to how social welfare programs should be temporary is very ... Out of touch with a lot of different socioeconomic situations and the cycle of generational poverty that many people don't know how to ascend out of.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Synthesis

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2017, 09:01:45 PM »
false consciousness

noun
1.  a Marxist theory that people are unable to see things, especially exploitation, oppression, and social relations, as they really are; the hypothesized inability of the human mind to develop a sophisticated awareness of how it is developed and shaped by circumstances.

2.  any belief or view that prevents a person from being able to understand the true nature of a situation.

bourgeoisie [(boor-zhwah- zee)]

In general, the middle class. Applied to the Middle Ages, it refers to townspeople, who were neither nobles nor peasants. In Marxism it refers to those who control the means of production and do not live directly by the sale of their labor. Karl Marx distinguished between the “haute” (high) bourgeoisie (industrialists and financiers) and the “petite” (small or “petty”) bourgeoisie (shopkeepers, self-employed artisans, lawyers). Marxism postulates a fundamental conflict between the interests of the bourgeoisie and those of the propertyless workers, the proletariat.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 09:14:48 PM by Synthesis »

Melkor

« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2017, 09:02:22 PM »
Whitt, excellent post.

Tongue in cheek, I think the Bible is Creationism for Kids, or at least Sunday School is.

I suppose if "Creationism for Kids" was put out by, I don't know, some legitimate non-religious publisher, it might be kind of irky? I think Creationism is foolish and requires too much faith, but I don't begrudge those who believe in it, nor someone writing a book aimed at kids to teach them it exists. Guess what? Don't buy the goddamned book, Capitalists! The market will correct and the book will fall out of print for not being business-savvy enough to make it in a strong market!

Everything else you said, Whitt, totally on point. Just putting this here to say thank you for responding and being informative about it. If I could upvote, I would.

Yes! The Bible is creationism for kids, and I would be pissed if tenants of the bible, the torah, or the quran were being taught in any public school. Children should learn values from their parents, as they are the fruit of their parent's bodies.
This also applies to communism seeking to raise children without parental interference, and to eliminate the family unit. It is theft. If my wife and I create a human that is half of each of us, that child is the fruit of our bodies, and belongs to our family, so long as we are competent caregivers for this new life. It is our prerogative what ideologies, morals, and values to instill in this new human. If a government-funded school began instilling children with other values, whether religious, political, or ideological in nature, that is crossing the line. This is the exact place where my distaste for this book comes from. With all of the recent lunacy coming from the left (anti-fascists using violence to silence their political opponents; ignoring facts, logic, and science for feelings; silencing opposing points of view at universities), I do not think it is so unlikely to see a book advocating communism taught to children in school.

Melkor

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2017, 09:09:34 PM »
I think using your lucky situation as evidence to how social welfare programs should be temporary is very ... Out of touch with a lot of different socioeconomic situations and the cycle of generational poverty that many people don't know how to ascend out of.
You saying me busting my ass working multiple sub-minimum wage full-time jobs in order to claw my way out of being a broke and homeless teenager is a "Lucky situation" is beyond disrespectful.
I could have gotten food-stamps for being broke. i didnt. I could have gotten disability for my epilepsy that ruined my life-long plans of joining the military. I didnt. I could have succumbed to drugs and alcohol like 90% of everyone I knew in my youth. I didnt.

How the fuck is that luck?

It isnt. Its called sacking-the-fuck-up and working for a better life.

Synthesis

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2017, 09:16:21 PM »
Yes, the poors' only problem is that they aren't bootstrappy enough.

If those layabouts would just sack up, their problems would be solved.

boog

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2017, 09:35:14 PM »
If you were living in the inner city, had a nonexistent or subpar academic education, a child at a young age, were a minority (I'm assuming the last bit) ... etc, etc, etc, your LUCK in getting a JOB AT ALL wouldn't exist at all.

I respect that you busted your ass. But there are people who are passed over constantly with those sorts of mitigating factors. It's great you've had success. Many people do not. Saying that they don't deserve to be assisted for however long it takes for them to learn, grow, get a job (which oftentimes earns them LESS than if they were to be on the government teat in terms of having basic living expenses paid for), is very, personally biased.

Just because you didn't use government assistance doesn't mean that other people shouldn't also receive help. Some people don't know what's available for them. Some can't grow their own food. Some don't know how to cook food properly. Some don't know how to fill out a job application. Some don't know how to read.

And if they want to waste their money on steak and lobster, they should be allowed to. Because guess what? They won't have enough money for the rest of the month for their food.

Anyway, the steak and lobster thing is a myth, perpetuated most oftentimes by the right and other small-government political minds to defund, or reduce the amount of food stamps spending, which is a very small portion of our country's budget. Here's a cool article:

http://theplate.nationalgeographic.com/2016/03/21/steak-lobster-and-other-myths-about-food-stamps/
There is only one boog.

Sayyadina

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2017, 10:15:02 PM »
Whitt, excellent post.

Tongue in cheek, I think the Bible is Creationism for Kids, or at least Sunday School is.

I suppose if "Creationism for Kids" was put out by, I don't know, some legitimate non-religious publisher, it might be kind of irky? I think Creationism is foolish and requires too much faith, but I don't begrudge those who believe in it, nor someone writing a book aimed at kids to teach them it exists. Guess what? Don't buy the goddamned book, Capitalists! The market will correct and the book will fall out of print for not being business-savvy enough to make it in a strong market!

Everything else you said, Whitt, totally on point. Just putting this here to say thank you for responding and being informative about it. If I could upvote, I would.

Yes! The Bible is creationism for kids, and I would be pissed if tenants of the bible, the torah, or the quran were being taught in any public school. Children should learn values from their parents, as they are the fruit of their parent's bodies.
This also applies to communism seeking to raise children without parental interference, and to eliminate the family unit. It is theft. If my wife and I create a human that is half of each of us, that child is the fruit of our bodies, and belongs to our family, so long as we are competent caregivers for this new life. It is our prerogative what ideologies, morals, and values to instill in this new human. If a government-funded school began instilling children with other values, whether religious, political, or ideological in nature, that is crossing the line. This is the exact place where my distaste for this book comes from. With all of the recent lunacy coming from the left (anti-fascists using violence to silence their political opponents; ignoring facts, logic, and science for feelings; silencing opposing points of view at universities), I do not think it is so unlikely to see a book advocating communism taught to children in school.

So wait, now we need to ban the Bible and the scary communism book from schools? Ayn Rand is surely smiling down from Atheist Heaven.
“No more should you doubt this, my prince – my sisters and I shall not wait ten-and-seven years for our vengeance.”

--Lady Nymeria Sand, A Feast for Crows

Molten Heart

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2017, 10:39:53 PM »
Yes, the poors' only problem is that they aren't bootstrappy enough.

If those layabouts would just sack up, their problems would be solved.

This seems relevant: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judith-orloff-md/victim-mentality_b_1874579.html

Melkor

« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2017, 10:40:27 PM »
Whitt, excellent post.

So wait, now we need to ban the Bible and the scary communism book from schools? Ayn Rand is surely smiling down from Atheist Heaven.

I am a Christian. But my bible has no place in public schools, other than from a historical, or artistic point of view.

I'll respond to the rest of y'all in a bit. Writing an essay for Armaddict.

Zoltan

« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2017, 10:44:23 PM »
For the self-hating working poor and the petite bourgeoisie, no-one's efforts but their own are valid. Their suffering is more precious to them than any piddling material wealth they've managed to hoard for themselves.

I hear a lot of talk about what the poor do and do not deserve. I haven't heard any convincing arguments about why the fantastically wealthy deserve what they get. Money is power, and I think liberty is a pretty flimsy thing when individuals can amass such enormous amounts of power. But I guess we all have the freedom to do exactly as the system dictates, pursue "useful" knowledge and skills, and somehow wriggle our way into the good life. Except when we don't.

Rewards for hard work are unfortunately not enforced. Capitalism demands losers, and the very real possibility of losing (at any time) is a useful coercive element.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

tanbiere

« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2017, 11:17:14 PM »
I'll just throw this out there, because people are doing it, and it is working. If you want a different reality, create it. I don't mean that in the sense of becoming a certifiable psychotic and get yourself locked up. There's a phrase floating around, and the phrase is, BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE. It's really that simple. I don't believe that I accept the reality of going to work and making a living and coming home to dinner and watching t.v. or doing puzzles or whatever until bed time.

Four years ago I had a strong desire to quit my job. After twenty years of working to make good money! I pursued the American dream using the recipe my parents left me. At the end, I just didn't see the point in it. I became disillusioned a few years before I left my job, and ended up having a heart attack. I managed to drag myself to work a very stressful job for a few more years, despite my personal opinion and personal advice that I wasn't doing what I wanted to do. I guess somewhere in my self-empowerment of moving out on my own when I was sixteen, traveling the world, having children, and just living by the seat of my pants and enjoying life, I had gotten lost in the rat race. (Boy does that sound cliche)

It took a severe situation to stop me from working. I became honestly and truthfully disabled. In a most painful and awful way. I lost the ability to walk, and endured pain that would send me spiraling into major depression, suicide ideation, PTSD,  and a reliance on prescription drugs. I would spend DAYS, literally, sleeping or screaming in pain.

In August of last year, something inside of me clicked, and I woke up from my life. What a nightmare I woke up from. I can't even say that I'm really awake right now and posting this, for all I know, I'm still taking 120mg of morphine and as much oxycodone, with the booster shot of dilautid to keep me from losing my mind.

I woke up and started paying attention to the world, and come November, I decided to refuse to participate in the voting process out of a very self-righteous decision to reject government that was not self-government. I conveniently overlooked the fact that I was on disability which is a government program. In January, I decided to be selfish and get myself off of drugs, and I felt that I was going to will myself better. I really have been told since I was a child that I was willful. I cold turkey'd the morphine, and let me tell you, morphine was my sanctuary, it made all of the pain stop. February to March I left off oxycodone and dilautid and ended up "finding" a method of re-balancing my brain with a frequency of sound including a binaural beat that literally recalibrated my pain receptors. The withdrawal sucked, but it mostly happened in my brain. I went on a three week (living in a forty year old RV) sabbatical to the deserts and mountains of Texas, N.M, and Arizona, and gave up the meds I was put on by a shrink. It's April something now, and no, I'm not cured, I do still have debilitating arthritis, lymphadema, and fibromyalgia. But I don't take pain meds, it is pain I can manage now. I don't despair my life and find the only answer is an end to it.

I'm now working on something new. I'm letting go and forgiving, and not judging. Boy is it hard. I don't know if I'd have gotten this far while I was doing my job, I doubt it, or I would have. I'm not sure what I'm planning on doing, but I do know that I will find a way to make a living that will be my own way of getting by. I don't really need money do I? No, I don't think so, I'm hoping to move away from money and towards a fundamental design of true necessity that is both sustainable and rewarding. I'm choosing to move into a more service-to-others versus a service-to-self modus of operandi. The reason? I strongly feel that by helping others, you help yourself. By fighting others, you fight yourself. By feeding others you feed yourself. It's a literal comprehension of the phrase, as you do unto others, so do you do unto your self.

So, to finish my thought.

Create the reality you want. Be the change. Find like minds to create what you want as part of a collective.

I can't make people quit going to work at Monsanto. I can't even convince my uncle to leave his job, he works at a factory in Texas that makes bombs that kill people. I am not young. I'm 55 now. I have a responsibility to become the best person I can be, to allow others to make those decisions for themselves, and to know the difference between the two.

Don't do things from a place of fear.
What night, dark or bright with stars, doesn't bring our love to life, even as we sleep?

montarion

« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2017, 11:53:22 PM »
We should just hurry up and push genetic manipulation as a society so we can get past the gene-wars and into post-scarcity utopia.

Automation going to destroy the economy as we know it anyway, assuming climate change doesn't make shit all mad max before that can happen.

Melkor

« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2017, 12:08:15 AM »
If you were living in the inner city, had a nonexistent or subpar academic education, a child at a young age, were a minority (I'm assuming the last bit) ... etc, etc, etc, your LUCK in getting a JOB AT ALL wouldn't exist at all.
I lived amongst poverty. My high-school was shit, so I graduated my junior year by taking extra classes online. I wore condoms. Being a minority is an ASSET when getting a job, as affirmative action gives minorities preference when qualifications are equal. This is why MCDONALDS would not hire me. This is why I, as a 17 year old white man, had to find work alongside illegal immigrants, as it was all that was available to me.
Finding a job is a full-time job. You should start at 5am and not come home until 5pm, every day, until you have a job.

Making good decisions like not creating human beings before I have the means to support them is not luck.

I respect that you busted your ass. But there are people who are passed over constantly with those sorts of mitigating factors. It's great you've had success. Many people do not. Saying that they don't deserve to be assisted for however long it takes for them to learn, grow, get a job (which oftentimes earns them LESS than if they were to be on the government teat in terms of having basic living expenses paid for), is very, personally biased.

Even in garbage schools plagued with crime, resources exist for students who wish to advance themselves. I am not talking about me. I skipped more school than I attended, but still got my diploma. My brother, on the other hand, busted his ass academically, worked himself through CC, got an academic scholarship to UF, Got a 100% PHD scholarship with stipend at Cambridge. My other brother Joined the Air Force.
If a person does not make the best of whatever hand they were dealt, they will have a shit life. If a person busts ass non-stop, they will succeed, period.

Just because you didn't use government assistance doesn't mean that other people shouldn't also receive help. Some people don't know what's available for them. Some can't grow their own food. Some don't know how to cook food properly. Some don't know how to fill out a job application. Some don't know how to read.
I went to middle school and high-school with many people who could not read. Most were more concerned with doing the stanky-leg or the chicken-noodle-soup during each lesson, or picking fights with the teacher. You reap what you sow.

And if they want to waste their money on steak and lobster, they should be allowed to. Because guess what? They won't have enough money for the rest of the month for their food.
The people who do this dont NEED food stamps. That is the point. They abuse the system.

Anyway, the steak and lobster thing is a myth, perpetuated most oftentimes by the right and other small-government political minds to defund, or reduce the amount of food stamps spending, which is a very small portion of our country's budget. Here's a cool article:

http://theplate.nationalgeographic.com/2016/03/21/steak-lobster-and-other-myths-about-food-stamps/

Not a myth. I worked at Wal-mart for almost 2 years. I have SEEN it with my own eyes MANY times. This is what makes me hate EBT, because I would see welfare-queens buy more food, and brand-name foods, at that, in one day than I would buy for myself in months. Quote all the articles you want, you cannot disprove my first-hand accounts with instances numbering in the hundreds over my time working for wal-mart.
I am not deceiving you. If I saw modest people coming in on the 1st and 3rd week of  each month, buying large quantities of cheap food. Food like ramen, pasta, rice, potatoes, eggs, milk, canned veggies, dry beans, etc, I would not care. But that is NOT what I saw. I saw soda, steak, shrimp, crab, ribs, pop tarts, and more soda. not even sam's choice soda. they just had to get brand-name. always.