Gladiators

Started by Renenutet, April 12, 2017, 07:48:23 PM

Quote from: Renenutet on April 16, 2017, 08:44:12 PM
It's gladiator specific.

:o

Damn. Now I'm really bummed I can't try out the role right now.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

Quote from: Hauwke on April 16, 2017, 08:46:21 PM
You can always store bro :p

Damn, I wish. I'd do it in a heart beat if I could unstore him afterwards when I wanted. Gladiators are the best. But apparently it's meant to be a permanent edition to Armageddon, so at least I'll be able to apply when my character (inevitably) dies. Because Armageddon.
No shade and zero profit.

Makes me wonder if another main guides will come also.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Like, say, a raider main guild?! Archery, watch, subdue, sap... Eeep.

That said, the mention of this new gladiator main guild has me hyped. I will definitely app for this, but after my current character, maybe. I'm trying real hard not to spend all of my waking hours on Arm, dammit.

Are the non-permanent gladiator pc's also this new main guild, or are they following the standard 'warrior with 3 skill bumps' of before?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

So, how would one go about applying for a gladiator 2nd PC? Are there any special requirements? I apologize in advance if this was already explained somewhere.
Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty

Just send a request for future pc. For clan check Allanak Gladiator.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

Quote from: Armaddict on April 17, 2017, 12:01:25 AM
Are the non-permanent gladiator pc's also this new main guild, or are they following the standard 'warrior with 3 skill bumps' of before?

They will be Guild Gladiator.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

Quote from: Barsook on April 16, 2017, 09:06:42 PM
Makes me wonder if another main guides will come also.

MFW the "Main guild changes" end up being "we made a Gladiator Guild!".
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Um...
We made the gladiator guild in the context of the plan to open this clan. We made the clan in the context of filling a couple of specific needs in Nak and the idea that players would enjoy it. Clearly I cannot guarantee fun, but that was the intention

I promise you Riev this was not me thinking up ways to screw people out of new main guilds.

Quote from: Renenutet on April 17, 2017, 10:25:37 AM
Um...
We made the gladiator guild in the context of the plan to open this clan. We made the clan in the context of filling a couple of specific needs in Nak and the idea that players would enjoy it. Clearly I cannot guarantee fun, but that was the intention

I promise you Riev this was not me thinking up ways to screw people out of new main guilds.

LOL That wasn't the intention, I just was tickled at the idea of this over-arcing "We'll be making a change to the Main Guilds soon" turning out to be "we're adding in a clan-restricted main guild for Gladiators!"

I understand that ISN'T the big change, and this introduction of something pretty CORE to Allanaki Culture finally having staff support and a role in the game will be really good for the game. More things for Houses to insure with the Guild, more targets to 'hurt' nobles who aren't playing fair, deception, intrigue, shit if there is actual betting that doesn't result in "this guy has been around 2 RL months longer, so he's going to win" I'd be pretty down for it.

I have nothing bad to say about the Gladiator changes, but the idea that main guild changes are coming, and when one does (albeit UNRELATED to those changes), its a clan-restricted role, akin to saying "We're adding a new Main Guild for Templars, enjoy playerbase!", its a little funny.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Good, we're still friends, you and me, Riev.

Quote from: Riev on April 17, 2017, 11:08:37 AM
Quote from: Renenutet on April 17, 2017, 10:25:37 AM
Um...

LOL That wasn't the intention, I just was tickled at the idea of this over-arcing "We'll be making a change to the Main Guilds soon" turning out to be "we're adding in a clan-restricted main guild for Gladiators!"

I understand that ISN'T the big change, and this introduction of something pretty CORE to Allanaki Culture finally having staff support and a role in the game will be really good for the game. More things for Houses to insure with the Guild, more targets to 'hurt' nobles who aren't playing fair, deception, intrigue, shit if there is actual betting that doesn't result in "this guy has been around 2 RL months longer, so he's going to win" I'd be pretty down for it.

I have nothing bad to say about the Gladiator changes, but the idea that main guild changes are coming, and when one does (albeit UNRELATED to those changes), its a clan-restricted role, akin to saying "We're adding a new Main Guild for Templars, enjoy playerbase!", its a little funny.

I'm taking notes for next April 1st.

April 17, 2017, 11:57:54 AM #64 Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:00:37 PM by lairos
I'm taking notes for next April 1st.

Next there will be Mindbending Gladiators who you watch in rapture as they stand there in front of each other until one just falls over. We will also implement Gemmed Gladiator matches...watch out for that random lightning bolt!

Love that there is a new guild for this!
A staff member sends:
     "The mind you have reached is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."

I love this idea. And I'll definitely be looking to try my hand at it at some point.
"I stalk the shadows, I am the one who wears that friendly face. Behind your every move, there is nothing you can do. Pride yourself in the fact that you do not already rot and bake. Be prepared, I am always watching." - Allanaki Assassin

I'm Rathustra and I am all about Gladiators. Ask me anything about the role, the application process and the delicious mint chocolate I recently bought on sale.

It might not be immediately apparent but this is probably one of the lushest clan openings (re-openings, I guess?) for a while. Rene's constructed a slew of rooms, NPCs and objects to facilitate every aspect of Gladiator play - from the rewards the finest champions of the circled square get to enjoy, to the ways in which these SPORTS ENTERTAINERS can be a useful tool for their owners and associated players.

Not only is the role a distillation of the often desired 'combat role' concept, but it is a slave role that is set to just work(tm). Rene's found creative and engaging ways to get around the classic pitfalls of playing a slave PC - you're not restricted to an empty room. You're not beholden exclusively to the creative abilities of the PC nobility and templarate. The role empowers you to do the cool things that gladiators do on your terms.

Similarly, the opening of secondary PCs offers a way to make a 'flavour PC' with meat on its bones - you can be the scumbag heel, the dejected unfortunate or the aspirant hoping to claw their way out of the pits. All while enjoying your primary PC. The lack of applicants to play secondary PC gladiators is a shame as it solves the age old problem of "I want to play X but my current PC is so much fun!" Guess what - you can play that PC now and turn up to play a gladiator on off days. You can die over and over again and focus on making the death as awesome as possible.

We've gotten a lot of questions via requests about the roles, but very few applications. I think there's some misconceptions that might be helpful to dispel.

~ Timezones and availability:
We expect nothing more than what players currently achieve with regards to RPTs. Have you ever been able to show for a get together with other PCs, or a plot with the leaders of your clan? Do you manage to attend most of such engagements you're invited to? You are a prime candidate!

~ I've had bad experiences with staff in the past. I worry that the 'unpredictability' clause excludes me:
Not at all. As a producer-once-but-admin-now I feel safe in saying that you should probably just ignore the clause. Put in an application whether you're a staff pet (we'll keep the waterslides running while you're in the role) or totally reviled (we promise not to load piles of HG soldiers into the arena while people are watching). If you've got a cool concept we want a cool gladiator. Cooladiator.

~ I'm not sure if my concept fits:
Put in a request with the concept and let us know that you're interested. Worst case scenario we will suggest ways to make it fit what we're looking for.

~ But I want to play an elf/half-giant/dwarf/breed:
Currently we're only accepting these lesser races for secondary PC gladiators. Throw us your disgusting demihuman concepts for the meat grinder!

~ But I want to play a breed/mantis/braxat/rantarri/gortok:
Well, such a badass role should go to people who've shown us they're bomb ass gladiators - primary or secondary PC!

~ But Rathustra I can't play in any clan group other than yours!
It's OK. I think gladiators are cool enough to be honourary indies.

Is it possible for a secondary gladiator to survive to the point of becoming one of these shining star popular gladiators?

Certainly not by winning. But I don't think we have ruled in or out the possibility of someone responding to a role call and asking to play their secondary gladiator full time. It's not a question we can answer yet, because we haven't had the conversation yet.

Oh crap only one day left to apply. I don't suppose you could extended it until Friday??  :)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Goddamnit Arm. Why now?
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I kind of want a secondary gladiator pc, but I think I'm going to want it more later on. Does that make any sense?

Is there a helpfile for what types of person are "allowed" to become mighty weapon-wielding gladiators? I know the British in WWII allowed crazy people if they proved themselves competent enough not to throw a grenade into the mess hall. I would think the Arena trainers would be less forgiving.

Is the amount of fame given to a gladiator a direct result of the rp of the pc world and/or how available they are for matches? Or is the virtual world's love of them a part of it too? I kind of want to know how predictable their rise to stardom is going to be.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I will consider any Friday apps, yes. If you guys want a couple more days I can extend the deadline til Sunday.

We're working on a gladiator helpfile. Send a request for the documentation.

April 21, 2017, 05:42:28 AM #74 Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 06:16:59 AM by Exen44
Seeing as this clan is meant to be a permanent addition to Armageddon, how will one go about applying to become one of these gladiator superstars in the future once the role call is over? Will it be classified as a 'special application'? Or will there be another role call sometime in the future?

Edit: Or will it be closed off to people with a certain amount of Karma?
No shade and zero profit.