Gladiators

Started by Renenutet, April 12, 2017, 07:48:23 PM

Here is a place to discuss the opening of the gladiators, and to ask any questions you may have.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

Perhaps if we could "retcon" just the name itself - from currently existing "persons using the term Gladiator to describe themselves" and change it to "Arena Champions" or "Arena Fighters"... and they would be people who fight -against- Gladiators for prizes and fame.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

April 12, 2017, 08:32:53 PM #2 Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 08:34:37 PM by BadSkeelz
I wouldn't dwell on it too much. If staff thought it was a problem they should have spoken earlier with those behind the current Arena activities. I think any attempt to retcon or police the "correct" term will just be a distraction from what should be a fun role.

Game on!

Damn, I wish I didn't already have a character. I have a great fascination with gladiators so this is like my dream character. If I could, I'd store my current character in a heartbeat if it just meant I could unstore him when that character died. Unfortunately, I know the rules of storage, so I know that isn't an option. A damn shame, though. I'm really going to regret missing out on this.

At least I can always apply for 2nd PC Gladiators. Isn't the same, but it's something. Perhaps one day another opportunity like this one will come along and I'll be able to take advantage of it.
No shade and zero profit.

Quote from: Lizzie on April 12, 2017, 08:08:27 PM
Perhaps if we could "retcon" just the name itself

I thought the existing fighters, at least the few who are still around, were called Free Gladiators and Aspirants right from the beginning?  So no need to retcon?
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Holy moly. This is exciting.

I imagine this is mainly for peakers, though? Still. This is super great to see! Can't wait to see it rolling.

April 12, 2017, 09:50:32 PM #6 Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:35:48 PM by Harmless
The full-time-PC gladiator roles would require the ability to show up to RPTs, which I lack. Hope more slave roles come out, though, I've been waiting for them.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Would 2nd character gladiators need 100% peak-time availability?

Also, would applying for a gladiator role count as one of our 3 annual spec applications?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

April 12, 2017, 09:59:29 PM #8 Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:01:20 PM by Exen44
Quote from: Melkor on April 12, 2017, 09:53:49 PM
Would 2nd character gladiators need 100% peak-time availability?

Also, would applying for a gladiator role count as one of our 3 annual spec applications?

I can't answer the first question but as for the second one, no. I don't think it will since I believe those are separate. If you look through the requests, you can see that special applications and role applications are different.

Edit: After reading the topic again, I doubt you'll need 100% peak-time availability since it is specified that it is a part time role for arena events. Of course you'll need a staff member to confirm this.

Just wanted to pipe in here that playing gladiators for events was a blast, and a good way to pack some action into your roleplaying if you're in a less action-oriented role.

Will the part-time gladiators only be logging in for events, or will they be 'responsible' for being training partners for the full time roles?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

April 12, 2017, 10:26:42 PM #10 Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:32:58 PM by Exen44
I actually have a question for the staff as well.Will there be another opportunity to become a gladiator of this sort? I realize that you probably don't know but what I'm asking is whether or not there's a possibility there will be in the future or if this is meant to be a one time thing.

Eventually some of these gladiators are bound to die (just like every character in Armageddon), which will leave a gap if this gladiator thing is something you mean to expand open further with regular sorts of these characters or even go as far as to have more than three at a time. And I'm hoping by the time that happens, I will get a chance to apply for full time Gladiator PC.

Anyway, that's my question.

Also, my input on the response from ATS:

QuoteThe differences here are that gladiators are always slaves.
Gladiator is the sum total of what a gladiator is. It is not a part time gig.

Honestly, gladiators in Arm has always been a death-oriented experience.  Very rare was the case where you were instructed to have mercy and non-death-oriented matches; in my opinion, that arrangement was a way just to get the Arena involved without players having to feel like their character was on a knife's edge about death in order to encourage participation.

I don't think that those non-death-oriented events need to end, but I don't think participants should have anywhere near the 'prestige' of an actual gladiator, either.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Idea:

Briefly shift the "oh you're new, lets sponsor you to the Byn" response to "oh, you're new, lets pair you with a gladiator for a match and pit you both against a pair of elves and tgen sponsor you to the Byn."

For me, one of my most tense and amazing Arm experiences involved the Arena as an early account experience.  While I was already in love with the game at that point, having that experience hooked me like nothing else.  I still get misty-eyed when I see the arena bells message pop up.

I think pairing with a glad would be a good choice, as it lets the noob get some combat training time and also highly increases the odds of survival.  I think MOST glads with some training could handle 2 of those elves, so it definitely gives the appearance of tension with a minimum of risk, and also introduces one of Allanak's core concepts in a vibrant and in your face way.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

.... drunk in Paris.  I kinda combined the Glad thread with a lubricated concept from the Acts of Publicity thread.

Anyway... I don't want to delete the post but don't know what to do with it.  Gonna go back to my morning wine.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I personally look forward to interacting and competing against these new full time gladiators. It will be good to see one or two of them truly excel in their job and become actually famous with good reason.

Quote from: whitt on April 12, 2017, 09:25:08 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on April 12, 2017, 08:08:27 PM
Perhaps if we could "retcon" just the name itself

I thought the existing fighters, at least the few who are still around, were called Free Gladiators and Aspirants right from the beginning?  So no need to retcon?

This is my impression as well.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

I just want to say how awesome I think this is!

I will try to answer all your questions later today. Meanwhile, I want to explain that this is meant to be a permanent addition to the Allanak clans.

(And it's going to be THE BEST CLAN EVER!)

April 13, 2017, 11:11:33 AM #18 Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 11:16:54 AM by Armaddict
Quote(And it's going to be THE BEST CLAN EVER!)

I dunno.  It's a great fluff clan, but it really doesn't contribute much in way of combating staleness and providing natural, flowing 'unf' to the game.

Unless you have this clan in natural competition with other clans somehow.  While fun, this should probably be coming with the opening of other clans/military groups with actual interests, or, in lieu of that, a Tuluki faction (much like the rebellion of old).  That is, of course, assuming you were wanting to add more content to the game vs more social meeting places/events.  We have a lot of the latter.  The former is what's suffering.

Edit:  Don't get me wrong, I love this, and enjoy the games and playing the PC's.  But it's not 'meat' in the stew, it's more broth, which can be bland unless you have enough meat 'n taters to flavor it up, i.e. Competing clans, sponsored matches, and outside interests with a real plan to be interested in winners.

You are correct about the issues it does not address. However, with luck, player buy in and imagination, it can be an excellent source of intracity conflict.

I have seen LOTS of threads full of people asking about Gladiators or for second PC's for something right up this alley. I love that this is being brought back to life and in a way that adds many routes of conflict and fun. For those second PC's who will get to be involved without having to worry about losing their current character will make things a lot more interesting.

All in all this is bringing life to something that has been more virtual and gives players a chance to play SLAVES again which is rare.
A staff member sends:
     "The mind you have reached is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."

If no one apps the muscular, cleft-chinned man, I will be disappointed.

https://youtu.be/Pa0lMzaljTk

From a new player's perspective, this is an interesting approach to a fairly pervasive institution in fantasy settings (as well as RL Antiquity).  Looking forward to seeing how it plays out IG, and in interacting with what is essentially a new caste, PC-wise.  Lots of potential for different RP - slave, but respected, and physically tough. 
Labor omnia vincit - "(Hard) work conquers all."

Quote from: Armaddict on April 13, 2017, 11:11:33 AM
Quote(And it's going to be THE BEST CLAN EVER!)

I dunno.  It's a great fluff clan, but it really doesn't contribute much in way of combating staleness and providing natural, flowing 'unf' to the game.

Unless you have this clan in natural competition with other clans somehow.  While fun, this should probably be coming with the opening of other clans/military groups with actual interests, or, in lieu of that, a Tuluki faction (much like the rebellion of old).  That is, of course, assuming you were wanting to add more content to the game vs more social meeting places/events.  We have a lot of the latter.  The former is what's suffering.

Edit:  Don't get me wrong, I love this, and enjoy the games and playing the PC's.  But it's not 'meat' in the stew, it's more broth, which can be bland unless you have enough meat 'n taters to flavor it up, i.e. Competing clans, sponsored matches, and outside interests with a real plan to be interested in winners.

The Armageddon kitchen isn't a single track - this clan, this role call - it's all been pushed by Renenutet themselves since day one. They've been working on it for a long time while everyone else on staff have been preparing the other stew ingredients.