Author Topic: Death and Mourning  (Read 921 times)

Melkor

Death and Mourning
« on: April 06, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »
The last few death-threads have been solely about critiques, behavior, and beliefs regarding the death of one's own PC. I'd like to start one discussing the death of a PC's CLOSE friend, relative, or mate. This, and how this death effects our characters, and us as players.

Obviously every individual character and culture will handle death differently, I don't think I have ever seen any distinct death customs, outside of clan docs. How would a Stormer handle the death of their brother? Child? Mother? etc.

I am always astounded by the visceral, emotional response that this game can illicit from me. especially since I am a person who is relatively stone-faced IRL. Fighting for your PC's life, barely scraping by... You know you feel your heart race. Got betrayed and ganked ig? Holy shit, talk about rage. Lose a family member ig? Damn... It almost feels like you should be in mourning.

I'd like to hear others' take on this.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Marauder Moe

Re: Death and Mourning
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 08:18:16 PM »
Very little is documented.  I've seen cremation.  I've seen burial.  I've seen people tossed in a pile or a pit to rot.  I've performed four pet funerals with one character.

For the common rabble, there don't seem to be any standards or traditions.  For nobility and tribals, consult your clan docs.

Exen44

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 08:35:04 PM »
Yeah I remember I had a character whose friend died and I wanted to give him a funeral of some sorts but I had no idea what the fuck to do so he just ended up on the pile in the end. That's just kind of how it is for people who aren't nobility or such. I thought that maybe if you really wanted you could take the body out into the sands and try using the 'bury' command on it although I wouldn't know as I've never tried it myself. Might only work with items and containers so feel free to correct me.
"I sexually identify as depression. That way I have an active sex life because I keep fucking everyone."
-Me, 2017.

Esadal

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 01:17:48 AM »
I've seen funeral pyres used as well for characters in various houses.  Of course, you have to have enough logs..

Or go the Byn way and toss them down the latrines!
How about a scavenger hunt?

Hauwke

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 02:07:52 AM »
I remember a while back, we buried a friend under a cairn of rocks after he fell just at the end of a fight. It was a gloriously badass moment, and he was forever immortalized in stone. Virtually at least.

Feco

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 09:37:12 AM »
The worst, OOC, is when you lose a PC you really like playing with -- a sort of friend -- but your PC is a heartless bastard who shouldn't mourn them.  That's tough.
Sunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

BrokenRomance

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 10:08:05 AM »
I made a similar post to this last year, you might find some of the replies helpful.

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,51220.msg945692.html#msg945692
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

Molten Heart

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 05:15:15 PM »
Burial at sea...

The Lonely Hunter

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 08:28:27 PM »
I think that far too often it /seems/ like the emotional state caused by another pc dying is mostly the players, not the characters. I also think that is the case with friendships and other odd niceties.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 08:57:36 PM »
From the 'any room for kindness?' thread...

If you want to play a long-lived character who doesn't suffer a complete emotional breakdown one or two years in, you need to choose your friends carefully. Have loose relationships at best with most people, and only develop deeper bonds with a select few. I have a feeling the same would be true for most Zalanthans. If you start caring about random people you're going to be miserable all the time.

I'd say there are certain sub-groups and communities of people who are more tight-knit, like...

People of the same tribe (obviously)
Families (obviously)
Gemmed of the same temple
People who live within small apartment building community and share the same cooking fire, for instance
Gangs of street kids banding together

Etc.

Nobles (and their wealthy servants) might display kindness because they're better people and everyone knows it. Their relationship with commoners is the very reason templars need nobles, so they might want to nurture that relationship by feeding the poor in a grand display of generosity.

I'm sure Zalanthans mourn their loved ones. It's one of the things that make humans well, human. But they wouldn't freak out over the deaths of random people or casual drinking buddies... that's probably a player thing.

Lizzie

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 10:42:23 PM »
 I prefer my gaming experiences with death to be short and sweet. No specific rituals - just whatever seems to make sense for that PC at the moment. One might get drunk, another might place a flower on top of the corpse and walk away. Another might get pissed that her pal had the nerve to die and leave her without a best friend anymore. Another might want just some quiet moments in their mutual happy spot to reflect. I also like to remember that a RL day is a game-week, and that's probably enough time for someone to actively, significantly mourn someone. Death of a loved one might change my PC in some way, but the mourning period itself wouldn't likely take all that long.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

ghanima

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 12:48:15 AM »
I think that far too often it /seems/ like the emotional state caused by another pc dying is mostly the players, not the characters. I also think that is the case with friendships and other odd niceties.

I think you're unfairly expecting the worst in players and not taking into account that people still have feelings, even in a harsh desert world. I've never seen a portrayal of mourning that was somehow over the top or overly dramatic. Honestly, have you? Ever? Even once? Because it kind of feels like you're not giving players the benefit of the doubt.

In my experience, the opposite seems to be true. People barely RP mourning much at all. And not because "harsh desert world" but because it's just a game and we know that the person who died was a character and not real. If anything I think it could be argued that players could and should rp mourning out even more than they currently are.

Fathi

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 09:29:17 AM »
I've played PCs who had specific mourning traditions before that were either self-developed or passed on through virtual family. This was all just Shit I Made Up(tm) but if you repeat a tradition often enough in front of other people in this game it often catches on.

I honestly appreciate that there isn't a lot of strictly documented stuff for the common rabble when it comes to culture. Suggestions are fine, but I'd hate it if there were docs that said 'All commoners in Allanak do X when Y happens.' It's like that list of superstitions that was on the old website, about odd numbers being good luck and all sorts of other random superstitions--suggestions like that are great, but I like them kept as suggestions rather than docs everybody must follow.

So as far as death customs, heck, here are some suggestions. I've played the first few.

- Crafting tools or knives from bones of the deceased to honour them.
- Eating the flesh of the deceased to honour them or absorb some of their spirit/power/whatever.
- Wearing a certain colour for a period of mourning. [I've seen tribal PCs use blue and red for this, neat compared to black imo.]
- FIRE!
- Leaving a body wrapped up in the Salt Flats to become a desiccated salt mummy.
- Hold a big drunken wake, who cares about what happens to the body.
- Most importantly, get revenge on whatever killed your buddy.
Out of all those kinds of people, you got a face with a view
I'm just an animal looking for a home
Share the same space for a minute or two

Quote from: BadSkeelz
My preferred form of birth control is still rough circle.

Khorne8

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 03:34:51 PM »
Or go the Byn way and toss them down the latrines!

They grow up so fast.

;D

James de Monet

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 02:52:15 AM »
Cremation and libations (pouring one out) are what I have seen most commonly.  Both seem appropriate to me, pending economic level.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

John

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 06:34:58 AM »
Back in 2002 it was canon that noble's ashes were interred in a virtual "cemetary" within the  noble's quarter (as per RP I participated in). Dunno if it's canon anymore (I believe drow were once canon for example. Things do change;))
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 06:40:42 AM by John »
Quote from: RogueGunslinger
On Zalanthas most sweat would evaporate instantly and cool you easier, because there is no humidity. The extra air-flow of a kilt would also keep things dry.