How do you handle being in a room with 2 hooded characters who look the same?

Started by zilcho, April 06, 2017, 03:18:17 PM

As a dwarf this is weird.  I'm used to playing hoomans who generally don't have this problem.

The tall and thin figure in a hooded clan cloak has arrived from the west.

The tall and thin figure in a hooded brown cloak says "Hey, give me all your coins, but only give them to me, and we'll let you live."

I mean, other than asking via ooc which one of them said that.

Yeah, that would be tough.  People having the same height/weight class and the same cloak is generally pretty rare, though.  Them demanding something of you that would require you discriminating between them would be even rarer.

Basically, I wouldn't worry about it.  Most times you should be able to tell the difference, or you shouldn't really have to be able to tell the difference out of character.

If someone is obviously taking advantage of the vague nature of the code to confuse you as a player (and not using an IC means to make it confusing for your character) they're being an OOC dick.  Report them.  I don't expect you'll ever have to do this.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

get coins pack
>You have 475 obsidian coins.
emote stuffing a coin pouch with sids, @ drops the pouch and slides it over.
drop 39 coins
run
w;w;w;w;w
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Thanks.  The scenario I gave was because I didn't want to risk revealing anything.  I think it is safe to say that in this case my character is roleplaying in a group with a bunch of people who are all tall and thin when hooded and some of them are in positions of power and they wear the same color cloaks.

I looked through the help files but I couldn't find anything like a label command.  I hate using the OOC command but I think I'm going to have to.

If you know their name, you can target them by name. If you know one by sdesc only, and don't know their name, you can target that one by a word in that sdesc. If you know that two of them share similar sdescs, but the one you want to talk to wears a certain thing that the other doesn't wear, you can try this *TOTALLY OOC TRICK*:

examine tressed's kilt

If it returns "He isn't wearing anything like that"
you can then
examine 2.tressed's kilt

and if the second guy is wearing the tell-tale kilt you can then

tell 2.tressed (passing the sids over) Here, now leave me be!

Usually groups who insist on all wearing the same cloak -and- remaining hooded while they talk at me get the point when I've done something like this:

pem gaze slowly drifts over the trio of hooded, cloaked figures as one of them speaks.

Quote from: Lizzie on April 06, 2017, 03:30:09 PM
get coins pack
drop 39 coins
run
w;w;w;w;w

Spotted the necker. :D

All good advice here, particularly by examining the keyword's unique item.

Honestly, though, I doubt this will happen. Unless, ofc, somebody apps for triplets and they all buy the same cloak.... <_<
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Quote from: Melkor on April 09, 2017, 08:09:34 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on April 06, 2017, 03:30:09 PM
get coins pack
drop 39 coins
run
w;w;w;w;w

Spotted the necker. :D

All good advice here, particularly by examining the keyword's unique item.

Honestly, though, I doubt this will happen. Unless, ofc, somebody apps for triplets and they all buy the same cloak.... <_<

I have totally done that when a templar extorted kindly requested a donation for the cause.

emote nods nervously to ~banker and leans very close to murmur a hushed verbal exchange.
withdraw 1037
>"You now have 18,993 obsidian coins in your account."
give 1037 coins templar
tell templar (bowing reverently) 'S all I got in the world, Lord Templar. Highlord's blessin on ya.

I mean realistically the banker would tell the Templar you have more than that unless you bribe them. Which would be hard to do while the Templar is in the room.

Quote from: Hauwke on April 10, 2017, 05:30:31 PM
I mean realistically the banker would tell the Templar you have more than that unless you bribe them. Which would be hard to do while the Templar is in the room.

I'm thinking Nenyuk wouldn't give up that information to a Blue-robe and even a Red would likely need a seriously big reason to get that info. Think of it this way: what's the templar gonna do if the clerk says no, kill him? And then - how exactly will the Blue-robe GET that money? A single clerk might not be a big-wig but - the Bank - is bigger than a single Blue-robe. You don't fuck with the Bank.

You have to think that stuff through:
Templar demands account data. Clerk says no. Templar kills Clerk. Templar now hires burglar to pick the locks on the vault. Templar takes sids. Everyone's sids, because hey - open vault, lots of sids, Arm of the Dragon wagon a short walk down the road, ready to fill up to the brim. If Templar had the power/authority to do that, the bank would be empty, always, forever. Nenyuk would go out of business completely if any random Blue-robe could just walk up to the banker and demand info about their customers.