Random acts of publicity

Started by Bahliker, March 28, 2017, 12:40:28 PM

Lol they did not solicit this, but it is my hope that if they see  some money raised, and the desire for active advertisement behind that money, it will convince them.

40 and counting. Anyone else down?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Quote from: Melkor on April 19, 2017, 05:11:58 PM
Quote from: lairos on April 19, 2017, 04:30:49 PM
There was one last year that had 3 different videos.

Listening to him walk through the various steps and hearing his excitement over the features he continued to find was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3263636845&feature=iv&src_vid=O61tZF5mHwU&v=-iYEmWIITvY
Cool video, but 100% not an active publicity effort... He has 15 subscribers.

And 3.5k views. Not too shabby. I also appreciate how he figured out the in game map so easily. ;D

So, I asked an absentee question in the Staff/Player discussion:
Melkor asked:
1) What active publicity efforts are being/will be made in the near future?

The answer provided was:

Nathvaan - Today at 7:34 PM
One effort is this discord channel to assist with it being a more active community.  Another is work being done on a series of video tutorials to help with traversing the learning curve because we reconize it is a pretty significant barrier to entry.  There are also discussions on how we could use twitter and facebook to highlight events that are happening in the IC world while still balancing it against making sure we don't spoil any player's active plots either.
To that end, I'd like to share the intro for the first video.  Hot off the presses!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B76biRcpBhe5WURfZWd1ZjVpSWs
Google Drive
TestIntroEP1.mp4

I think the aforementioned efforts directed toward newbie retention are great, but not exactly publicity. None of the efforts listed above will effect people who have never heard of Armageddon and get them to investigate/play the game.

I suppose a better question I could have asked would be: "What active efforts are being made to attract more new players?"

I'm of the opinion that working on new player retention is a good strategy.

From my admittedly limited viewpoint we get a LOT of new player traffic - but not many stick in the long (or even short) term. Ideally, we can work on both in concert, but if I had to weigh one over the other, I would want to focus on retention.

I absolutely agree that new player retention is crucial. But the question was regarding publicity, which I do not think is exactly analogous; which is why there is a publicity thread and a new-player-video thread. Separate topics for separate issues.

May 29, 2017, 08:30:03 AM #30 Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:40:14 AM by FantasyWriter
Running across that three video series last week or the week before is what brought me back to the game after more than a year of not logging in.  I miss having that sense of wonder about Zalanthas.  I would give my left reproductive organ to be able to to erase everything I know about this game from my memory and start over.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Great to have you back, FW. When I came back after a decade-long hiatus, I was shocked with how much changed, and how much I had to learn again. I hope you get some of that experience, too.