Random acts of publicity

Started by Bahliker, March 28, 2017, 12:40:28 PM

In my experience there's a sweet spot for Armageddon's PC population. Too few and the game feels stagnant, repetitive, too many and it feels hectic and unfocused. Too few or too many also plays against the staff's efforts. I like somewhere between 80-120 peak players, assuming the eventual reopening of groups or areas to help spread the numbers out a little more evenly. What number each of us prefers is a matter we could debate for days, but I think most of us can agree that our current average peak times don't do the game justice. I bet you deep off-peakers would be happy with triple the boots to loot.

I'd like ideas for places and ways to introduce the game. Let's hear about things that appeal to prospective players.

I'd like to encourage everybody to go out of their way, bend their story just a tad, to draw in an obvious newbie. Even if it's to rob them, as long as we showcase what makes this game great.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MUD/ runs a monthly promotion called Let's MUD where they feature a game randomly selected from a group of nominations. Comment if you like. Check out the subreddit if you haven't yet. Upvoting and commenting does nothing for our chances but if there are people there that don't even know what a MUD is like but are curious, they definitely need us talking about it for them. Like nonstop. Let's annoy naysayers with how much more fun we're having.

Upvoted and replied earlier.  Always good to push the game where we can!

Need more boots!
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Since I only started playing again... relatively recently... I thought it was appropriate to post in the /r/games weekly discussion post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/61nyta/weekly_rgames_discussion_what_have_you_been/dfisntn/?context=3

If people want to add stuff there, that would be badass.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

One of the most important things we can do is retain new players who might be otherwise overwhelmed or fall through the cracks. New players are literally the lifeblood of this game, so gaining them is important - and keeping them is doubly so. This game has a steep learning curve so all we can do to mitigate that, we should.

As a helper I'm pretty well positioned to do that but everyone can pitch in by bringing the world to life in a way that is both realistic and educational to a new player experiencing Zalanthas through wide new eyes. Remember what the game felt like when you started, and try to help new players with that in mind.

p.s. I've been seeing lots of visitors from reddit!

I don't think we can have too many. We can open a disappearing spot up north to divert the surplus.

The main problem Arm has is that mudding just isnt awesome sauce anymore. Change -that- and we would have a massive surplus of players.

I once suggested that the staff sponsor a video-game vlogger with a moderate following (20k-100k subscriber base) To play and do a video on Armageddon. A few hundred bucks would achieve this. The response I received was something along the lines of "If we want to, we will."

Publicity has to be an active effort, like recruiting players 1v1, or sponsoring vloggers, not passive, like relying on TMS.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

I think the last weblogger like that, who did play our Mud and blogged about it, got banned :D.

I might be wrong about it. Maybe he just lost interest and moved on? The guy was awesome! This retired Finnish dude who read every room's description in finnish accent. Totally awesome. He also began in the Rinth, so that ... didnt work out too well for him.

March 29, 2017, 12:37:49 PM #9 Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 12:45:59 PM by Feco
Quote from: Dar on March 29, 2017, 12:32:44 PM
I think the last weblogger like that, who did play our Mud and blogged about it, got banned :D.

I might be wrong about it. Maybe he just lost interest and moved on? The guy was awesome! This retired Finnish dude who read every room's description in finnish accent. Totally awesome. He also began in the Rinth, so that ... didnt work out too well for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=405ZNzG4TpI&index=1&list=PLQ0oxRsemaYBtLPDUCW9hy3DHj8wFEObJ

It's.... Incredible.  Posted it on Reddit a while back, and it didn't get any traction.

The dude has HOURS of him reading the documentation.

Also, I play a lot of Dwarf Fortress and CataclysmDDA.  Put some threads up on those associated forums.  Hopefully some folk trickle in :)
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Feco on March 29, 2017, 12:37:49 PM
Also, I play a lot of Dwarf Fortress and CataclysmDDA.  Put some threads up on those associated forums.  Hopefully some folk trickle in :)

Hell yeah.  Thanks for your active efforts, Feco.

I pitch the game to people I know IRL. I have two maybe three people reading the docs rn. We'll see if they start playing.

Quote from: Melkor on March 29, 2017, 01:52:04 PM
Quote from: Feco on March 29, 2017, 12:37:49 PM

Hell yeah.  Thanks for your active efforts, Feco.

I pitch the game to people I know IRL. I have two maybe three people reading the docs rn. We'll see if they start playing.

I've been working on someone in my D&D group for months.  Not working.  I think I've run out of potential real life recruits :(
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I've taken to telling a coworker that I've played d&d with about my adventures whenever I run into him. Already failed on all my other friends years ago and everyone else I know is either a classic good ol boy or... some of you people. God I need more friends.

Put it here too, I've been plugging it on my Twitch streams, towards the end of them.  I'm not huge or anything, but five or so at least have mentioned they have made a character or are planning to.  So yeah, just put it out there and point them at the website.  :)
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

April 12, 2017, 10:29:49 AM #14 Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:51:54 PM by Harmless
The open love this community has for that finnish player should be a reminder about the potential benefits of relaxing the ooc communication rules the game currently has. Maybe new players should be given more leeway while it is obvious they are noobs. After all, noobs are pretty harmless to the important plots going on anyway. I would be fine if a contingent of redditors joined us and made a makeshift hunting crew to explore the world in, or joined the byn or kurac or something. As they learn our culture and expectations of RP and communication we can gradually enforce the rules more for them.

I call an approach like this Reasonable Administration (c).

edited for accuracy.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Just wanted to state that that player wasn't banned. He didn't play for very long but he is always welcome back.

Yeah. I just recall there was some tension about him posting narration of what was basically ongoing. I hope nothing came out of it though.

I wonder why did he stop though. Probably got horribly murdered for his boots. Playing a very slow to act (due to all the voice reading) person in the rinth is not conducive to survival.

I posted my clarification because I don't want it to be said that publicity efforts will get players banned, as the implication seemed to be. That is completely false. New players are given significant leeway with OOC communication rules - any regular reader of the GDB should recall instances where new players mention their character name or recent events that happened to their PC.  They don't get banned or moderated, but players take a bit of time to explain the rules to them. That's how we prefer things handled.

Spfnym didn't even leave over any OOC communication and he wasn't reprimanded at all by staff, although IIRC his last video describes his character being murdered by another PC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSsEk8ke1TA

If he caught heat it was perhaps from players on the GDB, though I don't specifically recall what tension you're referring to. The comments from players are encouraging.

In fact we're actively trying to promote an effort to get a new player video series going, as you can see here:
http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,52346.msg983778.html#msg983778

So I'm really not sure where this idea that staff being harsh to new players is coming from. We welcome new players, and we love enthusiastic players who want to spread Armageddon to other people. We get numerous new players from reddit and TMC because there are lots of players who are supportive of the game there. We encourage players to publicize the game. We'd like to publicize major changes to the game when they're upcoming.

It's awesome how much sadness shows in his voice when he says his character died and his very last words were gold and a perfect ending to the weblog. I lost count to how many times I felt exactly the same when a character of mine who was involved in a myriad of plots died.

So, A lot of ideas get passed around and mulled over, which is good, but I'd like to see action.

I pledge a $20 donation to Armageddon sponsoring a video-game vlogger. Anyone else down?

There was one last year that had 3 different videos.

Listening to him walk through the various steps and hearing his excitement over the features he continued to find was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3263636845&feature=iv&src_vid=O61tZF5mHwU&v=-iYEmWIITvY
A staff member sends:
     "The mind you have reached is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."

Cool video, but 100% not an active publicity effort... He has 15 subscribers.

Quote from: Melkor on April 19, 2017, 05:11:58 PM
Cool video, but 100% not an active publicity effort... He has 15 subscribers.

Right, it was merely a point at an example.
A staff member sends:
     "The mind you have reached is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."

Gotcha. I have to admit, seeing/hearing this guy marvel at the smallest discoveries is pretty awesome.

"Can I look at pants?" <look pants> "Wow. This is what I was looking for in a game. Detail."

Him discovering the game reminds me of when I was discovering the game 12 years back.

So, anyone else willing to pledge a 20 to finance some advertisement via sponsoring a youtuber?

Quote from: Melkor on April 19, 2017, 06:11:21 PM
So, anyone else willing to pledge a 20 to finance some advertisement via sponsoring a youtuber?

Sure, I got $20 to throw some place.

As long as this is cool with Staff.