Returning player

Started by nakrat, March 23, 2017, 01:54:06 AM

Hey guys  :)

I haven't played for a very long time and i'm considering returning, it's been about 2 years since I played, and about 5-6 since i've played full time.

Where the hell do I start? What have I missed?

Nakrat
Nakrat

It will FUCK you up good *~Kurac

Well, every time I quit Armageddon and then came back, the first thing I did was start with an entirely new character so I wouldn't have to put up with all the stuff I'd have to deal with as a character who disappeared for couple of in-game years and then comes back with no explanation as to what he was doing during that time, even more so if it was a character bound to a clan of some sorts.

Besides, it gave me a chance to start anew and get re-acquainted with the world. I think that's where you should start, which also answers your question as to what you have missed. Find out yourself in-character, start again as if it was a different era in the same world. This allows you to get used to the mechanics of the game as well, all the commands and such while letting you get to know the new world.

As for whether or not you should return, well that very much depends. I myself had once successfully quit Armageddon with no intention of returning only to be roped back in further than ever by a friend of mine. Do I regret it? Eh, yes and no. On one hand I am completely addicted to this game more than I have ever been which means quitting won't be a thing I'll be able to do for a long time. On the other hand, the world that this game presents is vast and beautiful and most definitely worth investing your time in as I have.

So if you decide to return, I'd suggest playing in moderation. That means don't create a character that binds you to it in a way that it's expected for you to play it /very/ regularly.

If you do decide to come back, welcome back to Armageddon!
No shade and zero profit.

Tuluk was closed for PC play.
I do believe that is somewhat of a major change.

Also, not entirely sure how to proceed here.
You are not really new to armageddon, but then again you did not play for a long time and are a returning player.
Can I have dibs on boots?

Hmmm so place to start is Nak still? Where's all the fun at? I'm assuming Tzai Byn is still the place to 'start'.

Haha yea...there'll be more than one pair of free boots in the space of a month :p

Nakrat

As always, I am a huge advocate for joining the Byn to learn/relearn the game. You get a good dose of gritty and you get combat, as well as a good mix of opportunity to get political if you want.

Quite active still in off peak times? I'm in Australia  :)

Either that or maybe a dirty gemmer  >:(
Nakrat

Witches are now subguilds, with all the consequences, good and bad, that that entails.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

So you can dual class now? Warrior/rukkian? That's sick!
Nakrat

Quote from: nakrat on March 23, 2017, 08:56:23 AM
So you can dual class now? Warrior/rukkian? That's sick!

Except you don't get the full spell list when you pick a mage subguild. You can get either a specific 1/4 subguild, or you can get a "touched by" subguild which I still can't figure out the point of, other than to mark you as a mage and render you unemployable in any clan. I think this has probably hurt the only clan that can hire mages, because they have a limit on how many mages they can hire - which means you are not likely to ever be able to have mages in your clan who can do the things you actually need them to be able to do.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

March 23, 2017, 09:19:13 AM #9 Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 09:28:21 AM by Akaramu
Right, you'd only get a much smaller selection of spells. And it's actually much harder to be self-sufficient because you have to grind those mundane skills, but you can't join any clan that supports grinding mundane skills - unless you start as a rogue / not yet manifested mage. And hunting out of Allanak as a new character has never been easy if your name isn't Synthesis.  :P

Plus there's potentially raiders, and defilers, and gem haters.

If you want to try a magick subguild, I highly, HIGHLY recommend not starting with a gem, especially as a returning player. You'll be far more self sufficient and able to survive after a year in the Byn or the AoD. Byn might be better for offpeak though.

The good news is that offpeak activity seems to be a bit better than it used to be, especially between like... 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. PST. It's still really low from 3 a.m. to 8 a.m. PST.

That said, if you do get gemmed, the elementalist quarter seems to be pretty damn active. Not sure if that's true during your specific playtimes, though, depending on what they are.

Quote from: nakrat on March 23, 2017, 01:54:06 AM
Hey guys  :)

I haven't played for a very long time and i'm considering returning, it's been about 2 years since I played, and about 5-6 since i've played full time.

Where the hell do I start? What have I missed?

Nakrat

That's a great news! I am kinda new in the world of Armageddon, but let's try to co-op.
To live and survive.

Quote from: nakrat on March 23, 2017, 04:06:49 AM
I'm assuming Tzai Byn is still the place to 'start'.

#Byn4lyfe.     8)

Also, Welcome back.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

I wrote a song about the changes a couple years ago.  It was kind of like an animaniacs song.  I never got around to animating it, and now the changes have changed.

Le sigh
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: nakrat on March 23, 2017, 05:38:05 AM
Quite active still in off peak times? I'm in Australia  :)

There seems to be a more stable player number.  Early in the morning Eastern US is still really slim, but things pick up quickly and hover around the ~25 player mark until peak.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I think somewhere in that time frame an entire volcano got moved.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on April 07, 2017, 11:55:38 AM
I think somewhere in that time frame an entire volcano got moved.

..What? Looks like nakrat isn't the only one with some catching up to do.
No shade and zero profit.

That was in 2013.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Volcano?
Nakrat